Non ADA Gear > Amps

Koch ATR-4502 Power Amp

(1/10) > >>

rabidgerry:
Hi guy's, has anyone any experience with this brand of amp?

I am very interested in this model

http://www.koch-amps.com/guitar-poweramp-atr-4502.html

Given that it is only 90watts though I worry it will not be loud enough since I currently use a 300watt rocktron velocity amp.

Anyways, Koch are interested in endorsing me and if I had to use some of their product this would be the first thing I would want to try.  At 5.5kg it would be perfect for taking on the plane like the one I shall board this Tuesday on my way to play in Malta  :headbanger:

Be interested to hear any opinion on this brand and also this amp if any of you have tried it.

Systematic Chaos:
Wow, Koch amps are some serious "almost Boutique" stuff, Dutch amp manufacturer with a really high renommee.
Don't be intrigued by the wattage. e.g. a Boogie, Marshall or Engl 2x20w tube poweramp blows the 300w Rocktron straight outta the water volume wise.
Although the ATR-4502 is a hybrid, it gives you more of that tube warmth, depth and punch than the Rocktron or Thomann.
It´s the same power sections as in their Jupiter Amps, basically 2 Jupiter 45 poweramp stages.
Check that amp for some sound bits.
...and don't judge the book by its cover (watts wise).
If you can secure a good deal with them go for it  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry:

--- Quote from: Systematic Chaos on April 28, 2018, 04:48:22 PM ---Wow, Koch amps are some serious "almost Boutique" stuff, Dutch amp manufacturer with a really high renommee.
Don't be intrigued by the wattage. e.g. a Boogie, Marshall or Engl 2x20w tube poweramp blows the 300w Rocktron straight outta the water volume wise.
Although the ATR-4502 is a hybrid, it gives you more of that tube warmth, depth and punch than the Rocktron or Thomann.
It´s the same power sections as in their Jupiter Amps, basically 2 Jupiter 45 poweramp stages.
Check that amp for some sound bits.
...and don't judge the book by its cover (watts wise).
If you can secure a good deal with them go for it  :thumb-up:

--- End quote ---

Wattage arguments..................here we go again.  Man 300watt Roctron is pretty loud.  I've never had past 2/3rds of the way, and the only reason I was up that high was I was using 16ohm cabs.

The only reason I mention the wattage thing is because it's not a full tube amp.  So you've just compared a Boogie, Marshall or Engl 2x20w tube poweramp with a 90watt hybrid amp which only has two 12ax7 tubes in it either side.  I think my being dubious isn't so silly.

Sure we all know 50watt tube amp is as loud as an SS amp 300watt or more but this is some kind of weird class D thing with two tubes inside it.  If someone tells me that I treat the hybrid as though it were tube then hell yeah 90watts (nearly 100watts) is fine.

This amp is 5 kilo lighter than a velocity and about the same weight as my Thomann Harley Benton class D SS amp so if I score an amp with something similar to the Velocity "tubey" feel but a lot lighter then I am on to a winner.  I cannot take my rocktron on the plane with me as it's to heavy as hand luggage when coupled with a preamp (I've stripped my rack back at the minute down to preamp and power amp purely for traveling abroad normally I have a power conditioner and noise gate included)  so it looks like I'm taking the lighter Harley Benton (good but not the velocity) instead and a little noise gate pedal to fill in for the ns-50.

Systematic Chaos:
Gerry, I merely said/meant hear them out what they wanna offer and if its good go for it. Who knows, maybe you'll end up with a Pedaltone II and an ATR-4502 (I sure as hell wouldn´t mind that combo).
Peace bro!!

rabidgerry:
Oh I know, I'm just curious to see if this 90watt hybrid is as loud as a SS 300watt amp.  That's my bench mark currently so I need the same or me for me to make it work with my rack gear.

I looked at the pedal tone, not sure I would use half of that, who needs clean channels  :lol: :lol: :lol:, however as a portable preamp for plane journeys the superlead preamp pedal seems more of a solution to me.

They've initially asked me what I'm interested in so I've put forward the ATR-4502.  This surely has to be loud enough to compete with other guitar power amps.  Fingers crossed it is, the concept is unique to poweramps I believe and interesting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version