ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: NGD and pickup suggestions  (Read 27478 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: NGD and pickup suggestions
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, yeah but there's usually 5 small holes for the the spring ends (like the old one next to it in the pic), the big brass block has a plate with 2 allen bolts, how do the springs attach ? (e.g. under the plate and it's there to clamp them in ?). Actually thinking about that makes sense, going for max sustain and ensure spring ends stay firmly attached, I ask because I've not seen that before.
When I put a new brass sustain block on my Schaller lic FR (in my Tele) I was pleasantly surprised that it all lined up perfectly (lifes good LOL). I also put in some saddle shims coz the tele's FB radius is sharper (smaller circle), something I hadn't considered when I bought the Schaller and did all the routing to make it fully floating and flat with the top. Ther original sustain block pocked out the back a bit (I could whammy with my belly LOL), new one is the correct depth (shorter) and brass. My Anderson came with FR and brass block, all I've had to do with it is set it up and restring it, dream guitar... I put in a trem setter and moved the LH strap thingy from back of neck (ala SG) to normal strat spot on top pointy bit.

There is a cover covering the spring holes man, that fits on to stop the spings coming out.  I have saw it on other custom susatin blocks.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

Cool, makes sense (I suspect it's also to keep the springs tightly coupled with the block and enhance sustain and reverb from the springs (as in 44 years I've never come across a spring letting loose at either end), so my take but thanks for the info).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

I stuff my springs with sponge to stop all that ringing  :)

never realised about the coupling effect but I expect it works that was also as you say.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

This is why I asked about how much sustain you want, when your doing big bend bluesy rock solos (nice delay/reverb) all this stuff makes sense (like Santana), when your playing tight fast metal, is that what you want/need ?? But given your a one guitar band, it can help ?? my thoughts..

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

The holes for the springs are underneath that metal plate.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

This is why I asked about how much sustain you want, when your doing big bend bluesy rock solos (nice delay/reverb) all this stuff makes sense (like Santana), when your playing tight fast metal, is that what you want/need ?? But given your a one guitar band, it can help ?? my thoughts..

Yeah that's why I want the big blocks, for more more more more more more. 

"Nothing Exceeds like Excess"

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

...Fender MiM FR Strat....

Is that a mid/late 90s HSS Strat w/ fotoflame finish and Floyd Rose II or the HSS with the rev headstock?? Post some pics....
Ignore the text on any of the pics, that was for the guy wh was buildng the block and then ripped me off in the end.

this one I was telling him the block came to far forward

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Wow RG, big chunk of brass, I'm sure it has some effect, but how much ??

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Wow RG, big chunk of brass, I'm sure it has some effect, but how much ??

No mate, that never worked out, it never fit, not even close which is why I got ripped off in the end.  The guy from Killer Guitar Componenets was trying to make me a custom block because my licenced Floyd that fender stock as standard on their fat strats with Floyd rose bridges has weird screw size and hole alignment.  The screws are closer together and smaller than regular FR's and weirdly most other licenced FR's use standard measurements same as the original.  At least 4 others guitars I have with Licenced FR's are all interchangeable with Schaller or Original Floyd Rose components.  I have been trying to get a block for this guitar for years.

SC pointed me in the direction of a guy he knows of ebay who has made blocks for him.  Still need to check it out.  Looking forward to the brass.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

I changed the block on the Schaller lcnd FR in my tele recently, to a brass block (I basically needed it shorter (original block was pocking out the back of the guitar LOL, I now know they come in different depths  :facepalm: )). Bummer the holes don't align for you (and you sent him the measurements WTF), like your other ones, the Schaller holes were perfect for the licn replacement block, I also put in some saddle shims as the tele has a smaller radius. I got bits from here (http://axcessories.com/categories.asp) if that's any help.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

yeah height is one commone measurement.  They come in 32 37 and 42mm blocks.  Mine would all be 32mm since they're all strats.  When I get a block madE I will post the results.  I will more than likely custom design it and give the spec to who ever is making is.  There is room in the cavity that wouldn't be used up by a standard block so I can add more mass to a custom design for those spaces and make sure I still can dive b*mb.

My idea was to gradually stick stuff on my existing block, making it bigger and I can build it up until it's too big.  I was going to use cardboard and tape layers cut to shape for it increasing thickness gradually and width.  Will let you know results.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

I think I'm running 37mm in tele now, used to be 42 (works for Les Pauls ??)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up