ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 in a Box Finally  (Read 32457 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP1 in a Box Finally
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

No worries, let us know when you can, by now you know what we're like, we want to know everything  >:D LOL.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

zeppelin

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Sorry for the wrong posting page admin. I came from the old ADA Depot forum but have not post much since it move here when I got registered.
Ok, I own the 3TM MP1 and looks like the MP1 in the box is not for me. ADA should at least implement it like the APP1 and it will be a superb metal pre amp stomp box with a channel option for the clean side, or a simple one, a foot switch of the clean voicing.
If it's design as a stomp box in mind than it will work better if it's smaller in size. It's a preAmp or just a distortion box?

IMHO, sales will not be much if it's freaking expensive just to try one. I've own the APP1 and are pretty dissapointed with it due to not much gain into it, just a bluesy and hard rock that's all.

Still digging my MP1 till now since 1992, so I'm a long time fan of ADA MP1.

Got to hear the demo though. :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Hey zeppelin, no worries  :thumb-up: , and glad you found your way here. Will be good to hear how they sound.  I suspect it would be hard to make it smaller as it has 2 tubes in it. And I think we all agree it would be good to have the clean voicing foot switchable. Pricing seems to be ~$400 US, not sure how much pedals sell for these days as I don't use any, gave them up when I went rack years ago (and never looked back).

Trouble with MP1/2 is they were so ahead of their time and nothings come along that's better IMHO.  I can see some uses for the MP1 channel, not in my setup but good for some people. Also would make a reasonable recording preamp coupled with a decent cab sim e.g. GCS3 etc. I agree, I would have made it like the APP1 just with tubes instead.

Good to hear some thoughts/reactions about the APP1, maybe you could post a review in the APP1 board and an audio clip or 2 in the APP1 Audio Clips area ?

monty

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Who says this is the only thing (MP1C) that will be released and some of these other ideas haven't been thought of awhile ago?  ;) ;)

Sorry for the delay and quiet time guys. Things have been really busy on my end lately and it seems like one thing after another just keeps popping up!! Haha...ok so...The MP1 Channel.....

The main focus for the MP1 Channel is for pedalboards and direct recording. The on-the-go guitarist which doesn't wanna lug around a head, cabinet, pedalboard, guitar, etc. Or a big heavy rack case, pedalboard, guitar, etc. It's mainly intended for those individuals that want a nice tube tone in a compact package which they have at their feet, on their pedalboard. Coupled with something like the ADA Guitar Cabinet Simulators, it makes for a pretty awesome little setup.

Is it a preamp? No. No, this one isn't an actual preamp but you CAN run it through a power amp/fx return as a "preamp". However, it does run at Instrument, not Line Level.

The Clean voicing does use both OD1 and OD2.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey Monty, well it's no secret that a bunch of us want a MP3 (for me, that's take the MP2 further (basically keep it much the same just modern(ise) the components, IMO it's still the best guitar preamp ever made (and the Mullards do sound (shit loads) better than the original Chinese tubes)), for others here take the MP1 further (4 TM LoL) ? and maybe include in MP3 ??). I totally get where the MP1 ch1 is pitched as a stomp box, I've not heard one yet but like all hings ADA I'm sure it's good. I can see the MP1 Ch with a cab sim would be a great gadget for the home recorder, I can use my MP2 for both live and direct. My only issue with it is it's getting old and there's nothing better (nothing comes even close IMO), which is why I bought 2 more Mp2s .... My personal conversation was if my MP2 died (for whatever reason) then what do I use ?? there's nothing IMO that comes even close. so I bought spares...

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

No offense to the pedalboard guys, but I'll take my 2u rack (and an old suitcase for my cords, pedals etc.) over a pedalboard with 50 pedals any day. I tap danced for about a year, but I'm back to the rack. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I tried it, but I'm also glad I'm not doing it anymore.

As for dragging an amp around with you: I'm not lugging a heavy head around, if I need to bring an amp, I'll ROLL my 1x12 combo into the venue. Otherwise, I'm using my 4u rack with an ADA Microtube 200 in it....so the 'amp head' is my 4u shallow rack, a very small head. I have a couple of 1x12 cabs, so I don't lug a big cab around either. I lug two small ones (ha ha).

$399.95 for a pedal is WAAY more than I'd pay for a 90's rackmount preamp that only needs about $20 in parts (and a bit of soldering) to blow that pedal out of the water.

My 2ยข
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

RobbHell

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Still waiting to hear the claim that
MP1C  Has a 270 power supply amother wanna explain this bullshit?

Monty..... enlighten us.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Never heard of a DC-DC converter (guess not knowing you),you can easily get 12Vdc converted to 270Vdc if you only need a few mA's.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Wonder where the eq points will be... will it have the lack of bass like the original?

Hey El, The original had more bottom end than the Classic, but that is probably because the SS voice was always present with the Tube voices. There was never a complete isolation between the two until the MP-2 was introduced.

My mind is looking at the MP-1 Channel inserted in the effects loop of the APP-1 and wondering how that would sound? (Possibly using the EQ in the APP-1 to tweak the MP-1 Channel?) :dunno:

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, interesting idea  :thumb-up: BTW MP2 doesn't have a solid state voice, they are all tube so yes complete isolation LoL

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Yes, the MP-2 doesn't have any SS voice in it at all, but the reference I was making was to the Classic. That one is isolated from the SS voice. MY bad about not stating it more clearly.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, good to know, we didn't seem to get the classic in Oz, it seems a bit of a half way state between MP1 and MP2 as MP2 had many of the classic features, no wonder Dante vacillates between the 2, an MP1 with most of the MP2 goodies (stereo parallel loop, cab sims and as you say (which I didn't know) a separated SS stage). Now you've got me interested to get one LoL.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Yes, that was something I got from Todd Langner that I didn't know until after I bought my first Classic. He was still the head of the service department before ADA disappeared. I like a lot of the Classic's features such as the built-in noise gates, stereo loops, and the cab sims, which are all much more simplified than in the MP-2. The real bonus for me is how the Classic is very responsive to your pick attack, and the volume knob on your guitar, which to my ears is very much like a vintage tube amp and very "organic" sounding. I could never get this out of my MP-2's, (at least, not to this degree). The original MP-1 would also give me this kind of dynamic response, but with more warmth. Alone, that sounds very good, but when I tried to use two preamps in tandem, (one set for a rich clean tone, and the other with a medium overdrive tone), I got a bad phase cancellation out of the speaker cabs. This was what prompted me to pick up the phone and call ADA back then to find out why it was doing that. That was when Todd told me that the SS voice in the MP-1, was always present and "fighting" for dominance in the clean settings. It was out of phase with the Classic, and causing the cancellation.
      I don't try to use the preamps in tandem anymore though, I just use each as a different rig with their own dedicated effects, and switch from rig to rig to get the different tones in songs that have different guitar textures in them. This works much better for me now.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, sent you a PM BTW. Thanks for the explanation, very edifying, this place is such a great font of knowledge and experience  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: And now I really want a Classic  :facepalm:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Re: MP-1 Classic

The real bonus for me is how the Classic is very responsive to your pick attack, and the volume knob on your guitar, which to my ears is very much like a vintage tube amp and very "organic" sounding. I could never get this out of my MP-2's, (at least, not to this degree).

You Sir, NAILED it. I couldn't agree more.

It can be done with the MP-2, but it's much more a chore. And, you have to 'design' the voicing of your tone around that aspect while writing the patch. It can be done...but it's work, and it's still not as sensitive as the Classic in some respects.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up