ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: string balance levels  (Read 5222 times)

El Chiguete

string balance levels
« on: Time Format »

Ok so I know this depends just WAY too much on each brand and size of strings, but is there any chart to show the actuall volume difference in the common different string sizes? I want some help on how to set up the screws on my pickups.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: string balance levels
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Use your ears you mad man :)  and level meter like on a recording device also helps.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey El, which screws, the overall PU height screws or the pole piece screws ? or both LoL. As RG says, best use your ears. start flat, neck and bridge PU height adjust so good balance between the 2 (as stings spin more over neck PU and why they are generally less output). The individual pole pieces can be adjusted to balance out the stings (depends lots on fret board radius) (e.g. staggered strat PUs). Changes of gauge will make a difference, more mass = more volume. I use 10 - 46 DR Tight Wounds (on all electrics), same gauge as other strings but a little more mass (tight wound). But whatever your taste in string, it's important to settle on the ones you like, like tubes, they all sound different and it's just one of the many variables you need to nail/decide on. As to a chart re string output, never seen one but who knows there may be such a beast.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Im talking about pole piece screws. For sure this is something SOMEONE has thought off showing his results and save the general public time on this lol jeje. Anyway yeha I should use my ears but since I like to think of myself as liking science I like to check numbers and facts to compare things with my ears :)
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Well I spose you could try and measure it, no change, introduce new heights and measure again etc. Apart from staggered strat style single coils I've used, which you can't change, I played around a little a long while ago with either the flat head screws or Allen key screws on various humbuckers, these days I wouldn't bother (academically, I understand where your coming from, but after 43 years and earlier forays into this adjustment.. I wouldn't bother, moreover the Ultrasonics I like the most are sealed, nothing to adjust, and I like them just fine...). But if you put a humbucker into a guitar that had very high FB radius e.g. early strat or tele etc (7" circle FB radius) it would make some sense to adjust your pole pieces a bit (if you can) (which is why they did the staggered PUs for the earlier ones).

vansinn

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I [sortof] fail to see the issue, except for the high string, if it's a fairly thin gauge, like 007/8/9, in which case just replace it for a D'Addario NYXL half a gauge fatter.
The NYXL's are more bendable, so half a step can be used, plus they added some cobalt to the high carbon alloy for increased magnetic response.

Oh, and as long I use i.e. 009, 0115, 016, or 0095, 013, 017, as the top three, the remaining ones aren't problematic.
Maybe with the exception of the D-string when using thin tops, where a 022 sounds a Bit snarly and a 024 doesn't bend well - but that's what D'Addario Citar 023's are there for ;)
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I read this the other day (http://www.kinman.com/guitar-pickups/magnet-stagger/), this is Kinmans take on it.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Interesting diagrams on Kinman.com

thanks  :thumb-up:

DorsetRatt

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Here's some light reading ... how the magnetic fields of a pickup interact.

http://www.moore.org.au/pick/06/06_gobd.htm

Or have a look at all of it.

http://www.moore.org.au/pick001.htm

« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
Pages: [1]   Go Up