ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GuitarBuilder's First Modern Hexaphonic Nexus Guitar  (Read 5982 times)

GuitarBuilder

And here she is in her final glory: my first Nexus guitar!

Featuring a Gotoh Wilkinson tremolo bridge and Schaller strap locks. The tremolo cover is from AllParts and allows access to the 9V battery that is used to power the XR Active Volume and Resonant Filter controls.

This is a dual purpose guitar: the 1/4" output allows one to plug into any guitar amp and enjoy the SSS XR Flex pickups. Plug in the Nexus cable and breakout box to take advantage of the Nu Multi 6 - separate string and XR Flex audio in 7 channels along with Roland 13-pin compatibility (thanks to Synth-Linx's excellent product) with Synth Volume (wired as a Blend with Guitar Volume) and Guitar/Synth Mix CVs (permanently set to 1.04V for "mix"). Nirvana!

The finished product!

Another view in sun light.  The top layer is Walnut.

The back side.  One piece Swamp Ash.

Fitting the Nu Breakout Board.  This is the hub for all audio and CV signals.

Fitting the Lemo-compatible 19-pin connector.  Very compact, only slightly larger than a 1/4" jack.

The heart of the matter: the wired pickguard.  The bridge pickup is a combined hexaphonic low-impedance Nu Multi and a humbucking XR Flex Dual.

Notice the solderless connections.

A home-made tone shaping circuit was added to the middle XR pickup just for fun.

The middle pickup tone potentiometer is accessed through this hole in the pickguard.

Pick guard will all connections.  Note the flat conductor cables used for the hexaphonic pickup.

Test fitting the wired pick guard.  More flat cable connections used between the 19-pin connector and the Breakout Board.

The body undergoing Tru-Oil finishing.

Look at those Swamp Ash patterns!

The neck is Canary - very dense and smooth, needs no finish at all!

Schaller locking tuners.  Note the beautiful patterns in the Canary wood.

Fender LSR Roller Nut on Rosewood fingerboard.

Note how I cleverly matched up the grain on the Swamp Ash Body with the Canary neck.  Really?  Purely accidental!

All four woods in perfect harmony!

A closer view of the Wilkinson tremolo.  I put these in all my Strat builds, highly recommended!

Front panel of the Nexus breakout box.  The 19-pin input connection is on the left, the Synth-Linx 13-pin output is on the right, carrying the 6 string signals, XR output, synth volume, and mix CV.

The Nexus box is highly configurable and hackable.  All key signals are available on headers.

The back panel of Nexus has 1/4" TRS jacks that are configurable, as well as MIDI output.  Power is supplied to the guitar via the 19-pin cable.

The
Block diagram of the Nexus box.  The mixer allows for routing of signals to stereo outputs.  The MIDI module can be programmed to any CV to MIDI command conversion.

How does it work?  In one word: fantastic!  The sound of the "normal" XR pickups is very clear and bright, with wide frequency response, making it easy to dial in any tone you want.  The Resonant Filter is insanely good - one can control both frequency and Q, very much like a synth.  Think Stratocaster single coil on steroids, but can dial in Tele and LP sounds as well.  The Nu Multi by itself also sounds fantastic, very close to the XR sound.  Not at all like the typical hex pickups from Roland, Fishman, or Antares; no, like a real pickup!  It could easily be used as both the main guitar pickup and the hexaphonic synth driver.

Huge thanks to Joel De Guzman and Mark Bellarmino from Cycfi Research for their assistance with this build.  Superb customer support!

I will build you one if interested - PM me for details.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Wow that's one hell of a system !!

Also like that roller nut, never seen something like that.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t

Very nice! I'll bet it plays like a dream  :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Wow!

That's quite a guitar, and great craftsmanship. I've been using LSR roller nuts since 1993, and they are the best IMHO if you are not hip to a locking FR nut.
     I've never had much success with the Wilkinson Tremolos though.

I'd be interested in hearing what that guitar can do. Got any sound clips?
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Nice build  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

Sexy stuff!
I know [about] Noel/Cycfi from sevenstring.org and have looked a lot into his several years of research, very cool dude.
It's well worth looking up his site; lots of published info on how things really works, not just with his own tech.

Do you have any audio/video to showcase your particular build?

GuitarBuilder

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!  I don't have any sound clips yet, but will start generating some soon.

Meanwhile, check out https://www.cycfi-research.com/
« Last Edit: Time Format by GuitarBuilder »
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Link doesn't seem to work.

BTW do these roller nuts also exist for gibson guitars?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Link doesn't seem to work.

BTW do these roller nuts also exist for gibson guitars?
and can you tweak them for stretch tuning offsets (the boring one buzz featon, he didn't invent stretch tuning just managed to patent one of them).
I suspect they can't be tweaked for stretch tuning (hey not that they are bad), the Fender ones (no doubt) are for fenders' but maybe someone makes some other dimensions  :dunno: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

AllParts has a few varieties of roller nuts
The Fender ones come in different widths to accommodate the different neck sizes.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up