ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockman XL100  (Read 61303 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Rockman XL100
« Reply #75 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Alesis drum machine eh? It doesn't really matter who came up with the drums. My version of Music Theory 101: If it sounds good, it's right, If it doesn't then, keep trying.
 Unfortunately, that's true for a lot of talented personalities. They show a glimmer of radiance, then dismiss it as trivial, and don't care to try to take it any further. There is really nothing we can do about it. If their heart isn't into it, then they have to follow the path that seems right for them, just like we do.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #76 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I'm really proud of those tracks and am really glad you get it and like them. As you commented earlier they were demos to go on with, our intention was always to do them with the band (just never quite happened  :facepalm: ), the drums were fine but just not as smooth as maybe a real drummer may have played ??. Guitar wise (those recordings are pre MP1/2) so I recon I can make it sound better (not from an energy perspective though, well who knows LoL), I think I played the bass lines as well ?? (it's along time ago).
I'll keep nudging my mate, who knows, maybe he'll come up for another go at it ?? In the end I'm glad we've got something  :wave:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #77 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,
   I hear you man! I'd be proud of tunes like that if I had written them too! That's not my style of writing, but then again, it's the uniqueness of each of us that makes us stand out from everyone else. You never know that a drummer might do it differently, but if an actual drummer did something different, that would probably change the feel of the songs. Right now, I think what's there, fits very nicely :thumb-up:
 Keep on him >:D

Harley 8)

vansinn

« Reply #78 on: Time Format »

Now, I wonder.. how come the X100 sounds so Tom'sk..? ;)  I dig your mp3 clips, dude. Aussie sound, gotta love it. (should've kept my SCRA vinyl)

Hehe, the X100 manual is fun. Three way volume switch simply saying Loud - Louder - Blast Off  :lol:
What a pity it doesn't have jacks on the rear for being controlled by the SRD Octopus (which I have).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #79 on: Time Format »

I started a bit of a fad back then as I was using the X100 live across 2 Marshalls as a lead boost (Ali (one of our singers used to call it "the beast"  >:D certainly gain central  :thumb-up: ). So friends started a band using X100s and power amps (doing mostly Midnight Oil covers). One guy modified them to use switches from lifts (he's a lift/elevator tech) so they could change settings on the fly. Back then I used the Marshall 50 for rhythm and A/B A+B switched the rockman in and out for leads.

Hey Van, glad you like the clips  :wave: as Angry Anderson (Rose Tattoo) says, no one attacks a guitar like an Australian >:D , a heritage I maintain  :thumb-up:
I used to bemoan the lack of remote control, but the were predominantly designed as a practice tool to clip on your belt. I wanted the rack units but they were sooo expensive here. Ahh but then god invented the MP1  :whoohoo!:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #80 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Don't tell Dave Tarnowski he's a God, You'll give him a big head! O0

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #81 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, bloody good preamp though, changed my world... then the MP2  >:D :whoohoo!:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #82 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, bloody good preamp though, changed my world... then the MP2  >:D :whoohoo!:

No argument there. He did turn the whole music industry on it's ear with the MP-1  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #83 on: Time Format »

Ok I know this is old  :facepalm:

and if very little difference to anyone........................but for me it's a cool little bit of info since I began my exploration into Rockman rock moduals

So I been searching for a long time to find out if Judas Priest ever used any of them because to me the Rockman sound is present on at least three albums, perhaps combined with other equipment.  Many others agree and many others don't care since two albums are the most hated by the band.  But I finally got a little bit of confirmation that this may have actually been true!

The list below states the gear used and owned by K.K Downing one of the guitarists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._K._Downing

And low and behold!  He has used a Rockman Sustainor!  Glad I bought one of those then  :thumb-up:

way at the beginning of this thread I mention I had a suspicion of the band having used Rockman stuff at some point so it's nice to finally know they did, or at least one of them did.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #84 on: Time Format »

Hi Gerry,

I believe that was true for a lot of players back then. Joe Satriani used rockmans for clean and clean/chorus tones on at least two albums, and used a variety of other amps in addition to his Marshalls.
   I know Def Leppard's Phil Collen also used some Rockman modules in his rack for at least two albums. I think he may still be using them.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #85 on: Time Format »

Totally man, I know those you mentioned did use them for sure.

The Priest however, have always been a little secretive about some stuff and I still do not have any of them stating they used the rockman stuff, but for the first time at least one of the guitarists has mentioned he has either used one or owns one.  I have never ever seen rockman gear listed before for equipment that K.K used so it's very interesting to me (at least).

I was watching Macalpine earlier doing some tutorial lessons from back in the 80's and he was defo using rockman also.  It sounded so good as well.  Some hate it, I love it.  It's always been a tone I admired.  Again, people out their really loath it and what ever but I couldn't care less.  Sounds futuristic to me (to the critics it's the 80's though   :lol:   :nono:)
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #86 on: Time Format »

I always liked the sound of those rockman modules.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #87 on: Time Format »

I used mine as my lead tone/boost for ages and it was also great for bedroom/lounge recording.  I ponied up $800 AUD for mine in the day. Which was allot of money back then.

IIRC these tracks have rockman X100 all over them (recorded on a Tascam 688)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #88 on: Time Format »

Pretty good stuff Richard :thumb-up:

I can pick out the Rockman tones here and there. I think that's why I never got into them back in the 80's. They were easy to spot on a recording. Lots of compressed distortion.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #89 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, thanks  ::) , I used it to do a radio/TV add back then also, after that I heard the rockman sound on lots of adds and jingles.  They are great little gadgets. All you needed was a guitar, rockman X100 (with external power supply, it used to chew the 8 AA batteries in no time  :facepalm: ) and away you went. Plug straight into whatever, desk, poweramp, guitar amp,  I used a lead (I still have it) with voltage divider resistors at the 1/4" jack ends to drop it back to inst level and plugged into 2 Marshalls, that was my lead tone/setup.  I always wanted the 1/2 rack units but they were soo expensive here, then MP1s' came along and the X100 became the (bedroom) studio preamp.  Then came MP2 with cab sim outs... I think I've used the X100 once since (though lent it to a few people along the way, MikeB has mine, it definitely needs the cap/noise change out).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up