ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SERIOUS G.A.S this month.  (Read 39754 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: SERIOUS G.A.S this month.
« Reply #60 on: Time Format »

Actually the JMP1 is a sort of glorified marshall valvestate,so with solid state distortion that goes thru a tube just to warm up the sound.That's why it needs a tube poweramp to sound good.
These are not bad units but they don't have the gain and gain structure of the MP-1 where you get real tube distortion.

They do seem expensive second hand,just looked around and they go from 350 to 400 euro.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #61 on: Time Format »

Yeah MJMP,

They seem to be going between $400-$500 USD here too
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #62 on: Time Format »

Seems a lot of money to me.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #63 on: Time Format »

MJMP,

I agree, but that's because of the name. I'm sure of it. It would be a few hundred less if it were another name.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #64 on: Time Format »

Maybe,I bought a JCM2000 DSL 100W head for 300 euro,that's also a marshall.So why would a JMP1 be more expensive?

PrimalScream91

« Reply #65 on: Time Format »

Actually the JMP1 is a sort of glorified marshall valvestate,so with solid state distortion that goes thru a tube just to warm up the sound.That's why it needs a tube poweramp to sound good.
These are not bad units but they don't have the gain and gain structure of the MP-1 where you get real tube distortion.

They do seem expensive second hand,just looked around and they go from 350 to 400 euro.

So ideally, running an MP-1 into a good valve driven power amp would give you a much warmer sound?
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #66 on: Time Format »

Well in my opinion yes,but other like solid state amps too.It's a matter of taste I guess.But there is a difference.In my band ,me and the other guitar player,we use the MP-1 with the same mods,we both use EMG pu's,marshall 4*12 cabs,the only difference is that I use my old marshall heads (preamp bypassed,power amp only) and he uses a rocktron velocity amp and there's a difference in sound.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #67 on: Time Format »

Wow, they have gone up in price since I bought mine.
And yes there is a way to restore all to factory defaults.
If you can get one for under $300 US than I would do it, but if its over $300 US it had better have some Voodoo mods in it :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #68 on: Time Format »

So ideally, running an MP-1 into a good valve driven power amp would give you a much warmer sound?
Hey PS91, it depends on the power amp, some are (allegedly) designed to "enhance" the guitar sound.  The ADA preamps were designed to create all the tone in the preamp and use a clean transparent poweramp (which shouldn't add or detract).  MJMP uses his Marshall heads power amp stages, these are designed to enhance the Marshall input stage (and create a bit of poweramp distortion if pushed hard enough) as opposed to say the Carvin TS100 which is designed to be good (clean, transparent) enough to run a pair of studio monitors.  I used MP1/2 with a B200s for many years.  I bought a TS100 when the B200s was having some issues.  The TS100 seemed to add a little (hint of) warmth (hardly noticeable) compared to the B200s (which is like just not there except it makes the sound louder  >:D ).  Many tube poweramps (and SS for that matter) will add their own flavour to the tone, whether you like it or not is very subjective.  Down side of tube poweramps is they are largish, heavy and will require new tubes from time to time.  Upside is they give more bang for their wattage rating as they have sooo much more stored power than the majority of SS amps.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #69 on: Time Format »

Actually the JMP1 is a sort of glorified marshall valvestate,so with solid state distortion that goes thru a tube just to warm up the sound.

There was some info I recall that stated that the JMP preamp would actually function without the tube even installed into its socket...   :-\

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #70 on: Time Format »

Actually the JMP1 is a sort of glorified marshall valvestate,so with solid state distortion that goes thru a tube just to warm up the sound.

There was some info I recall that stated that the JMP preamp would actually function without the tube even installed into its socket...   :-\

Now we know why Kim

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #71 on: Time Format »

I would always choose a Valve power amp over a SS one if I had the cash to keep replacing valves. I deally, I would love to get my hands on a T100S, but they are few and far between these days.
   I am looking at a VHT though, since I like what I've heard from them. Naturally, if I get one, I'll try out all my preampos on it, but I'm really looking forward to punching the Classic in it most of all.

Harley 8)

Samuraipanda

« Reply #72 on: Time Format »

I've run my MP-1's and MP2's through tons of different power amps.... MosValves, MT100's, Peavey 60/60, return of a HiWatt head, return of a Dean Markley tube combo and of course my mighty Mesa 295.

I can say with no reservations that the tube amps definitely add character, depth and "gooiness" to the tone. However I find that the MT100's and the solid state amps translated the signal with effects better. My best setup is w/d/w with a SS Power amp in stereo from my effects and a middle dry All tube signal path.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #73 on: Time Format »

No it needs the tubes,one tube is for the clean sound,the other for the distorted sound.

@Harley;The old VHT tube poweramps are really good,but also heavy as hell.

@SP;I agree for a W/D/W setup it's ideal to use a tube amp for the dry signal and SS for the wet.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #74 on: Time Format »

MJMP,

Yes, the older big black ones are, but I'm looking at something like the VHT Two Fifty Two, or Two Ninety Two. They seem to be smaller so maybe not as heavy. Also, the thing that really catches my attention about these amps it that they almost seem to be clones of the Soldano rack mount power amp that they made many years ago for use with the X-99 and X-77 Preamps they once made. Since these are so limited in quantity, and ridiculously expensive, the VHT seems like a good choice.
    I have heard the Two Fifty Two, and that is an awesome sounding poweramp. It wasn't with an ADA preamp, it was with a cheap Fender rack mount preamp, ( I forgot the model), and I used to own one of those briefly. Those preamps sound like S**t on toast, but it sounded really good through the VHT. So I can see the ADA preamps sounding killer through one of these.

Harley 8)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up