ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on this power amp  (Read 3393 times)

kfowler8

Thoughts on this power amp
« on: Time Format »

I'm looking for an inexpensive power amp to pair with my MP-1. I keep hearing to look for an amp that does color your sound. Well I found this Crown X1000 for $100 new. It doesn't have 1/4" inputs but it's plenty of power for what I need. Thoughts?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/crown-x1000-stereo-2x300w-power-amp
« Last Edit: Time Format by kfowler8 »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Thoughts on this power amp
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Crown have alway made great poweramps, Check out this post (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=539.msg4379;topicseen#msg4379), (around the middle he says there's a ADA B200s going for $100) and send kawai2g4b a pm to find out where it is, much better match for your MP1 and same price (if you're in the US).  The B200s was made to match perfectly with MP1/2, 124w per chan into 4 ohms, clean, transparent, not to heavy, 2 RU, solid and reliable (I've use one for over 25 years), no fans (noise).

While the crown would be fine, it has 2 noisy fans and balanced XLR inputs (not that that is bad, just doesn't match as easily with MP1).  These crowns are more designed for PA and have way more power than you'll need so you'd have to be careful not to blow cabs/speakers.

I currently use a carvin TS100 50 w per chan all tube, again very clean, transparent, with MP1/2 you don't want to colour the sound in the power amp (well you can if you want, I wouldn't), that's not what they were designed for.  The TS100 has been a great amp with my MP2 but weighs a tonne (as all tube amps).

Carvin have a great 1 RU SS amp designed to run studio monitors (DCM200L) which would also be very good (and very light), but for $100 I'd go with the B200s that's mentioned on the above post.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kfowler8

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Crown have alway made great poweramps, Check out this post (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=539.msg4379;topicseen#msg4379), (around the middle he says there's a ADA B200s going for $100) and send kawai2g4b a pm to find out where it is, much better match for your MP1 and same price (if you're in the US).  The B200s was made to match perfectly with MP1/2, 124w per chan into 4 ohms, clean, transparent, not to heavy, 2 RU, solid and reliable (I've use one for over 25 years), no fans (noise).

While the crown would be fine, it has 2 noisy fans and balanced XLR inputs (not that that is bad, just doesn't match as easily with MP1).  These crowns are more designed for PA and have way more power than you'll need so you'd have to be careful not to blow cabs/speakers.

Thanks! I found out where the B200s is.
I currently use a carvin TS100 50 w per chan all tube, again very clean, transparent, with MP1/2 you don't want to colour the sound in the power amp (well you can if you want, I wouldn't), that's not what they were designed for.  The TS100 has been a great amp with my MP2 but weighs a tonne (as all tube amps).

Carvin have a great 1 RU SS amp designed to run studio monitors (DCM200L) which would also be very good (and very light), but for $100 I'd go with the B200s that's mentioned on the above post.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Cool, hope it works out and it's in good condition.  Lots of people here either use or have used B00s, I've not hear a bad comment yet  :thumb-up:   Well maybe one IIRC, not that is was disparaging to the B200s, he just wanted new/modern, which I understand completely.
Anyway let us know how you go  :wave:
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up