ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3TM Mod vs Overdrive pedal up front.  (Read 10639 times)

Chamai

3TM Mod vs Overdrive pedal up front.
« on: Time Format »

Hi

I was wondering if there is a huge difference in sound  between a 3tm mp1 or having an overdrive pedal up front??

lately I have been setting my OD1 and OD2 around 3.6-4.2. and boosting it with a overdrive pedal. This gives me an extra layer of drive and really tightens up the sound which i feel is missing on the stock MP1. i just love the sound of a boosted amp. I run all my tube amps this way. It's not that my marshalls and mesa's lack gain, but it adds another layer of gain structure which i love.

the only thing that bothers me is I hate having a pedal infront of my rack setup. but seems like the only way to get my sound is to have an OD pedal up front. Will the mod fix this problem?
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: 3TM Mod vs Overdrive pedal up front.
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai, the 3TMers around here can speak to this more but I don't think it will "fix the problem".  As you already prefer overdrive upfront adding more gain (extra tube) in the MP1 will give you more of what you are trying to get around ? Though totally get why you don't want a pedal, used to drive me crazy before I got my MP1 years ago.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi

I was wondering if there is a huge difference in sound  between a 3tm mp1 or having an overdrive pedal up front??

lately I have been setting my OD1 and OD2 around 3.6-4.2. and boosting it with a overdrive pedal. This gives me an extra layer of drive and really tightens up the sound which i feel is missing on the stock MP1. i just love the sound of a boosted amp. I run all my tube amps this way. It's not that my marshalls and mesa's lack gain, but it adds another layer of gain structure which i love.

the only thing that bothers me is I hate having a pedal infront of my rack setup. but seems like the only way to get my sound is to have an OD pedal up front. Will the mod fix this problem?

Hi Chamai I would say there is a difference.  The same amount of distortion is obtainable but I mean getting a pedal infront of the MP1 to sound just like the the first tube+circuit of the 3TM is probably not going to happen.

I'm currently fooling around with a boss OD infront of my stock mp1 to bring me that extra level you speak off.  And sure enough it does, but it sounds nothing like the 3tm although it is capable of delivering the same amount of drive and same kind of feeling, the extra tightness and chunkyness.  However it's a different flavour if you get me?  And I like this as it means I have a stock MP1 and a 3TM and they aren't the same offering me more choice even with a boost infront of the MP1.  For more thrashy type of distortion tone I require the extra level, so 3TM does the job, as does pedal in front.  But like vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream, they are two different flavours of the same thing.

The 3TM has a unique tube circuit, unique to the mod, MJMP can probably tell you exactly all about it.  But in prinicipal, the extra tube is acting as the extra layer (like the pedal in front creating a boost on a stock MP1 or on an amp head).  It has it's own voice or tone, the same way what ever type of pedal you place in front as a boost has it's own tone and voice.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Like RG says the voicing between the 2 will be different and the 3TM will have more gain in the end.In the 90's i also used a EQ pedal in front of my mp-1,downside was when you switched to clean you also had to switch off the pedal.Also it was quite noisy.Now i'm using a 3TM and a MP-2 for cleans,work for me.So in the end it all comes down to taste i guess.

Else have a look on YT,there are some videos of 3TM modded units.This way you can hear it and decide if it's your cup of tea or not.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

MJMP, there is actually few good clips on youtube of 3TM, how come you don't put a few on there?

I would but I could see people complaining about something they don't like about it or some shit.  I probably will end up putting something on there actually but more practical rather than to demo the 3TM.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

The reason i don't post vids is that i don't want people to think i manipulated the sound in any way to make it sound better then it is.I see a lot of amp companies to this,it sounds great on YT but it can be disapointing when you actually play on.one.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

f*ck them though, don't manipulate the sound and just say what you use?

If I was making a video I would just say it isn't the 3TM by itself, but with my effects unit, and also the speaker sim I use.  You could not just have the 3TM by itself it would sound awful with out at least some guitar speaker influence.

I hear people getting criticised for the thing you mentioned by other viewers on youtube, but what do they expect?  The sound of the preamp and no other tweaking?  Everything gets tweaked, a preamp on its own will just sound like hell fizz on earth!

Well just an idea man, but you should do some videos.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I don't have a 3TM but I do boost my MP1 with an OD (or 2) and an eq. I do this instead of the mod so I can use a Tube Screamer for the upper mid voicing for leads and the Boss SD1 for the throaty rhythm sections. I use a Ground control pro on the floor so a couple pedals isn't a big deal for me. I eventually will get a GCX or patchmate switcher and move the pedals into the rack. Like MJMP said, it's all a matter of taste.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I love your approach soloist, to me I could never get that to work, one pedal in front tops!  But that's cool if you can have 3 in front and get what you need.

I love having a 3tm and MP1.  I feel privileged to own them now because have you saw the f**king prices of these things now?  I only got my 3TM a year ago!  I saw a modded 3tm for like £700 on ebay the other day!  I am on the lookout for another sneaker backup, but I only go out for absolute f**king steals!  I am shrewd when it comes to nailing a bargain.

Anyone ever used a B.K Butler real tube II pre?  I see these from time to time and want to snare one if I see a good deal.  I believe I would require a boost in front of this preamp also, to get that  "extra layer".

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, (Anyone ever used a B.K Butler real tube II pre?) looks interesting,
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Never used the rack version, however I had the BK Butler pedal back in the day. It's like a tube screamer on steroids!
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Chamai

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

thanks for the response guys. too bad i have never seen a modded mp1 for sale locally. would be awesome if someone wanted trade their 3th for a stock one.

i am getting good results running a pedal up front with a lower gain setting on the mp1. adding layers of gain really allows me to fine tune my tone. but i really hate having a pedal on my rack rig. but it seems like the only way to get the sound i like. i guess i am old school since i like to boost cranked marshalls. so i have been always setting my amps based on having a od pedal of some sort.

btw, check out the earthshaker devices pallisades overdrive. this thing replaced my tube screamer.

ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chamai

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

had one listed on my local craigslist. i think someone snatched it up fast.

Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Yeah man, go with the pedal in front, I see it as a good solution also although I know you dislike the untidyness of an external pedal.

There are other mods that can be done though for the extra layer.

http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/ada%20mp1%20modded%20tubeboards.htm

Chamai what was the B.K Butler like?

Chamai

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Yeah man, go with the pedal in front, I see it as a good solution also although I know you dislike the untidyness of an external pedal.

There are other mods that can be done though for the extra layer.

http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/ada%20mp1%20modded%20tubeboards.htm

Chamai what was the B.K Butler like?

black pre amp with yellow lettering. thats all i could remember.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up