ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New wiring help.  (Read 5467 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
New wiring help.
« on: Time Format »

Hey, I have new pickups!  Trying out some DiMarzio passives I bought from Systematic Chaos and I could use a little help with my wiring options...

Ok, since I needed to purchase a new pot for these passive pups, (going from the active 25k pot to the passive 500k pot) I figured I may as well make the best of my options and coil splitting would be fun.  I bought a Push/Pull 500k pot for the coil splitting.

Then, looking through the sea of DiMarzio wiring diagrams on their site, I "thought" this is the one I want:
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/2h1ppsplitv_3w_all.pdf

I get it all wired up according to that diagram, and it doesn't seem like it's actually what I wanted after all.  But I attached a crude diagram I made of what I really want.  The humbucker modes need to be in the standard humbucker sound, not a "pair of single coils side by side".  i can't even be sure of what's going on, it's just really weird.
So what's wrong? Is what I want possible with what I have?  I do not want to drill another hole for any reason..this has to work with the existing holes I have (one pot, one 3 way toggle switch)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: New wiring help.
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Kim, you probably need a pot (if they exist ?) which has 2 sets of DPDT contacts and wire it so in the pull position the inner coils are selected.  Normally you'd wire a switch for each PU (albeit in a push/pull pot each or a toggle each). Are you sure you want to split the coils ? I prefer a series/parallel switching so you don't get single coil noise.  I did see some multi way toggle switches recently (5 position ?), that could help  :dunno: .

Or go with a different wiring like in my JPLP.  So bridge PU series/parallel switched by pot, and wired out of phase (at toggle switch) with the neck PU, I've found this a nice combination.

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I think I understand what you're saying here.  Trouble is, there really is no room for one more pot in the control cavity of this guitar.  It's just one volume pot and a 3 way toggle.  There's room for perhaps a mini switch but then it's a bit cluttered on the inside and out, and there was really only enough room for the 9v battery when the EMGs were installed.  lol 

Well, I don't need to have the split coil options, just thought it would be fun to have.  I'll just finish this up by wiring the pups as normal humbuckers.....at least for now anyway.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Kim, the 5 way toggle I read about acted like a super switch which would probably do what you were chasing, but maybe wire up just one coil of each PU in the config you posted (so it will be (equal) the pull option of your diagram) and check you like the tone(s) of the split single coils. If you go the "normal" way, then maybe try the wiring like in my JPLP.  So you use the push/pull pot to switch the bridge (or neck  :dunno: ) PU from serial to parallel (ie Coil1+ > hot out, C1- > C2+, C2- cold earth = series; C1+ > C2+ > hot out, C1- > C2- > cold earth = parallel). And then wire the result out of phase into the toggle switch (or wire the neck PU out of phase to the toggle switch (ie reverse hot and cold)).  It's a really good wiring combo and then when you select the middle position, sounds very led zep  :thumb-up: and you can tame it with the bridge PU in parallel.. blah blah, anyway I like it allot.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

With the pot you bought you should be able to change both PU's from single to full humbucker mode.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I'll send you the correct wiring schem for what you need tomorrow morning (JPN time) :thumb-up:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Use the upper part (std 3way toggle, push/pull pot) and you're golden ;-)
Both pups with their cables toward control cavity,
- bridge red is hot, black and white is coil tap, green and bare is ground
- neck white is hot, red and green is coil tap, black and bare is ground

pm me if you need any further info....I have 10 H-H axes with DiMarzios in multiple wiring configs

:thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Use the upper part (std 3way toggle, push/pull pot) and you're golden ;-)

LOL that's the exact same schematic I posted.   :)   I don't know what's actually going on there though; something's not right...I'll check into it again tomorrow morning.  I wish the schematics would include a picture of what is actually being accomplished like the one I made and attached.  I also wish all pickups had quick-connect style plugs (like EMG) so after the control cavity is wired/soldered, future pickup swaps are relatively easy without having to unsolder/resolder...

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Here you go:http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/JSppv.pdf
Just make sure both pups are oriented the way I mentioned earlier and also use the color codes for the neck pup as I mentioned  :thumb-up:
Pages: [1]   Go Up