ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Midi controller for MP-1  (Read 15334 times)

VoxG2

Midi controller for MP-1
« on: Time Format »

Does a MIDI controller for the MP-1 exist that doesn't require an external power source? Thanks.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Midi controller for MP-1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

ADA Midi controllers run on phantom power from a 7-pin midi cable. The extra two pins carry the power. They are not the only brands, there are more. Keep an eye out for one that does that & you're good to go.

Keep in mind, you do have to have a power supply in your rack to run the power to the midi cable (notice the jack on your MP-1 next to the midi cable?)

VoxG2

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ahhhhh yes I see! Thank you.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

At the cheaper end of town, the Behringer pedal can be modified to be "phantom" powered the same way as the ADA controllers, you'll still need a wall wart in your rack for it but you can do away with the jug lead (IEC power cable) they use as standard.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I just bought the Behringer FCB1010 with installed UNO V1.03 chip (advanced features for TC GMaj) to control both the GMaj and MP-1.

It' solid, complete and not expensive (mine has some scratches and I paid 50 euros for it...).

I've just finished setting MIDI parameters for MP-1 and GMaj and next step will be connect the FCB and try.
I'll connect to GMaj MIDI IN and let MIDI OUT go to MP-1's MIDI IN, since as far as I can see MP-1 do not transmit MIDI CCs (MIDI program changes work in both directions instead).
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, your set up is much the same as MikBs, and he's researched the FCB quite a bit (he told me of the phantom power mod, currently Mike runs a long power lead cable tied to his midi lead to his rack, which does the job).  But should you choose to go the 7pin phantom power route, you can go into MP-1 and it's midi through to GMaj, the CC commands will be passed through (although, a topic I'd never given much thought before, does that introduce midi latency  :dunno: , I suspect it wouldn't be discernible though).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, your set up is much the same as MikBs, and he's researched the FCB quite a bit (he told me of the phantom power mod, currently Mike runs a long power lead cable tied to his midi lead to his rack, which does the job).  But should you choose to go the 7pin phantom power route, you can go into MP-1 and it's midi through to GMaj, the CC commands will be passed through (although, a topic I'd never given much thought before, does that introduce midi latency  :dunno: , I suspect it wouldn't be discernible though).

Well, I think I will keep the FCB1010 stock.
At the end, it's not a big problem to power it up: it has its cord.  :banana-dance:
On the run again!

VoxG2

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Question for all! If I use the FC-100 (MK II) for the Roland GP-8 and run MIDI from the Roland to the ADA, will the ADA change patches simultaneously with the GP-8? Thanks.

Griphook

• Less is more? More is more!
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Ich think it is the same with every Controller. All PCs and CCs are seit one after another in allen short period of time.

And since there need to be Data sent, External Power is required.

My FCB1010 is powered via an ethernet cable. One cable for MIDI in/out and Power.  Power comes from aber wall wart out of the rack. But Ich Am still able to use normal MIDI cables and the IEC Cord.

Iperfungus

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Question for all! If I use the FC-100 (MK II) for the Roland GP-8 and run MIDI from the Roland to the ADA, will the ADA change patches simultaneously with the GP-8? Thanks.

Why not?
It's a MIDI controller...a good MIDI controller, indeed...
You can also run MIDI from ADA to Roland...and it will work.  :thumb-up:

Just remember on the MP-1 you've to choose a specific MIDI channel and not ALL (Omni) if you want it to be the MIDI master (meaning MIDI Controller --> MP-1 MIDI IN  and MP-1 MIDI OUT --> GP-8 MIDI IN).
At least this is what I experienced with my MP-1 and the GMaj (but MJMP confirmed it works this way with the MP-1).

Otherwise, if you're going to connect the FC-100 to GP-8's MIDI IN and then its MIDI OUT/THRU to MP-1's MIDI IN, you can set ALL as MIDI channel on MP-1.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Rawk777

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I tryed the FCB1010 a few years ago to control some plugins in cubase. The range of the expression pedals where really wrong and I didn't really liked the feel of it. The pedal have a really cheap feeling under the foot.

I discovered that my BOSS GT-6 could do everything the FCB1010 was able to do, and much more since it's a multi-effect pedal. You can use it to change the patches of any ADA. You can even control the wah and other parameters with the expession pedal on the MP2.

You can have an old Boss GT pedal for very cheap. They still require a power cord, but they are good pedals that can do MIDI program change and CC.

Iperfungus

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I tryed the FCB1010 a few years ago to control some plugins in cubase. The range of the expression pedals where really wrong and I didn't really liked the feel of it. The pedal have a really cheap feeling under the foot.

Was it a stock unit?
The one I've got has a UNO chip for GMaj and with GMaj you can do a fine calibration of expression pedals (I've to do this yet).
It doesn't look a crappy unit...
On the run again!

VoxG2

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Since the FC-100s aren't MIDI. but RRC, I wasn't sure. I would assume that the GP-8 would convert to MIDI internally and control the ADA from the GP-8's MIDI Out.

Iperfungus

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Since the FC-100s aren't MIDI. but RRC, I wasn't sure. I would assume that the GP-8 would convert to MIDI internally and control the ADA from the GP-8's MIDI Out.

Isn't it a MIDI device? Ups...  :lol:

EPIC FAIL!!!  :banana-upsidedown:
Stupid me...  :facepalm:

Well...you can try...it could work.
Try this: connect GP-8's MIDI OUT to MP-1's MIDI IN...verify MIDI mapping on both and set a MIDI channel (or OMNI)....and change patches on GP-8 front panel: do MP-1's patches change accordingly?
Refer to units user's manuals for MIDI settings.

I've tested this with MP-1 and GMaj and it works...so...if you connect the FC-100 to GP-8 to change patches, it should work the same.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

VoxG2

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

YES!! Thank you.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up