ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Axe pix  (Read 114184 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Axe pix
« Reply #105 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, very nice  :thumb-up: I like the coolur too ! I have a FR Schaler on my tel which is exactly like that one (much shorter bridge string allen bolts). Re the 009's, just go 010's and re adjust the bridge, the 010 - 46 will give you bigger notes, and work well with that scale length (25 1/2") and don't go out of tune as much when you belt them  >:D . The other addition worth considering in a Hipshot tremsetter, had one in my Anderson for years, makes FR even better  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #106 on: Time Format »

Nice guitar !!! love those super strats

Rusty

« Reply #107 on: Time Format »

Hi, I'm working on this axe too, nearly there. I got loads of projects on at the moment with a tiny budget, someday it will all be complete.   :))

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #108 on: Time Format »

Well tell a bit more on wha you're doing  :D

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #109 on: Time Format »

Well tell a bit more on wha you're doing  :D
+1  8)
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #110 on: Time Format »

Hi, I'm working on this axe too, nearly there. I got loads of projects on at the moment with a tiny budget, someday it will all be complete.   :))
Looks like it will come up well, got a few projects on the boil myself LoL.

Rusty

« Reply #111 on: Time Format »

Oh yea, sorry dudes for being a bit vague,

The body is a full thickness ash body from a Fender Squire that I had lying about and I cut the cut away back to the scratch plate Steve Vai/Green Meanie style if you know what I mean. I then rounded off the neck heel and used an Ibby style neck plate so playing up around the top of the neck is more easy on the wrist and fingers. I also thoroughly screened the cavity with aluminum foil.
The neck that I bought is second hand from a guitar tec for £50 and is an All Parts LIC by Fender. It's the big fat C style, the frets are in very good shape with little wear but it still needs some leveling here and there.
With a little drilling, chiseling and patents I also very successfully fitted an original Floyd Rose, I also put one of those thick brass blocks on it too to see how it sounds.
The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan Invader and the neck pick up is also a Seymour Duncan that I think is a stag mag, the both pickups and the Floyd I robbed from another old project axe that I built way back in the late 80's and decided to decommission it, LOL. I have also coil tapped both pick ups with a pushpull tone control/switch for a kind of strat sound.
All the rest of the hardware and pieces were simply bought online.

I'm still getting to grips with this axe and I do think that the brass block gives seriously nice brightness and sustain but I would like to try a smaller depth one as I think the Floyd is a little hard to dive b*mb. Mayby that's just me being way over scrupulous. Also there is some stratitus/wobbly/shaky note thing on the low E string that I cannot figure out yet, it's all the way from open right up the string. I'll try out another Floyd with the original block on it to see if that rules out why I think it's way too many loud odd harmonics produced by the big brass block .

Apart from that the action and feel is great, I love how thick this neck is, Its almost like a big old boat oar but so easy to manoeuvre around.  I have only played this at bedroom levels so far, next week I'm going to blast it LOUD to see how it really goes.

Extra pics on the way also,
Thanks for looking ADA'ers   :)   
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #112 on: Time Format »

Hey Rusty, very cool project, thanks for the info  :thumb-up: (Also there is some stratitus/wobbly/shaky note thing on the low E string that I cannot figure out yet, it's all the way from open right up the string.) Are the FR string spacings right for a strat ? ie is the bottom E in sufficiently from the edge of the board ? It reminds me of a problem I had with my Anson (very early jap strat) when I tried to fit a replacement bridge with brass saddles, back then all the measurements were different for copy write, it was too wide and made the strings go off the edge too much, it worked, but had an issue similar to what you describe. I had to put the original bridge back on and individually file all the brass saddles to fit. Just a thought as FRs are made for many different guitars.

Rusty

« Reply #113 on: Time Format »

Thanks for that rnolan, I'ts not that though as I got the floyd fitted and set very well and the E string on either side are lined up good. I'm figuring the brass block at the moment,  I can try changing it to see what happens, if that makes no significant difference then I'll try fitting the original neck back on to see if that clears it up then I can move from there. I also have another body that I could try out.
Also, It also might be the combination of everthing and something that is integral and inherent to this project axe. I'm sure i'll figure it out soon enough but as for right now it's not a huge issue as I have too many projects and general things going on.  :)

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #114 on: Time Format »

Here is a rare bird but I'm sure it just looks like a cheapo squier to most.  Like Dante, I love making a cheap guitar a beast!!  Beats spending £1000 any day!!

I found out recently this Squier Strat was only shipped to South America and lower states of the US and also only made for a year.  Alder body.  Only two control knob configuration!!!  That's unusual in itself.  I have to say this guitar f**king sounds great!!  Stock! I think there are 9's on there and I usually play 10's.  It feels so good and such a nice tone on there that I might stick with 9's with this axe.  I would be afraid of losing my finger strength though if I swapped to these permanent, any thoughts on this?

Check the pics fellas and fellettes

I love the colour!!  Like a metallic redish orange!!

:thumb-up:

head stock

This is stock by the way!!  I was going to stick a schaller I have on there as it's a direct fit!!  However (please help me out here guys!!) I checked this Floyd Rose II that is on there out and I think the saddles and plate are steel!!  If so I will just get a bigger sustain block made and call it quits!!!  I have never heard of any FR II being made of good quality, anyone know anything abut these?  Some other dude on another forum said if it say's "made in Germany" underneath it's a decent FRII and worth keeping, but their are cheaper Korean versions that suck and not as good as the German models.  Anyone any info on this let me know :)

Were you thinking of gigging with it?  If not, I wouldn't mess around with the bridge unless it keeps going out of tune.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #115 on: Time Format »

Thanks for that rnolan, I'ts not that though as I got the floyd fitted and set very well and the E string on either side are lined up good. I'm figuring the brass block at the moment,  I can try changing it to see what happens, if that makes no significant difference then I'll try fitting the original neck back on to see if that clears it up then I can move from there. I also have another body that I could try out.
Also, It also might be the combination of everthing and something that is integral and inherent to this project axe. I'm sure i'll figure it out soon enough but as for right now it's not a huge issue as I have too many projects and general things going on.  :)
Hey Rusty, another thought worth checking is it may be the PU is too close to the string and affecting it ? I know some single coil strat PUs have this problem, easy to check, just lower the PUs a bit on the bass side.

Rusty

« Reply #116 on: Time Format »

Hey rnolan I think I got it sorted, was a crap speaker that I was using. It was one of those cheapo 6W platic HiFi speakers that I use at low volume so the neigbors don't go wild and call the cops. Thanks again for your precious time. Cheers.  :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #117 on: Time Format »

Cool, glad you got it sorted  :thumb-up: I suspect those little speakers have a hard time with low end (bottom E = 82hz (in an A = 440 world)).

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #118 on: Time Format »

Gibson Les Pauls are my favorite, and here is the sweetest one I own:

2011 Gibson Les Paul 1955 Custom Black Beauty Hot Modded

It sounds a little darker than my other LPs, since it has no Maple cap.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #119 on: Time Format »

That's a beauty!

You'd think, for the amount of money they cost, they'd be able to throw in a toggle-switch tip :P
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Up