ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Axe pix  (Read 114170 times)

DorsetRatt

Re: Axe pix
« Reply #150 on: Time Format »

Interesting Tele ... did you swap out the ashtray bridge for the floyd + locking nut? How does it sound now in comparison?
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

Chucky

• Long Live JURRRRIIIIIIE!!!!
« Reply #151 on: Time Format »

I'd forgotten how to imbed pics, and had to relearn..... :facepalm:

This used to be my red Kelly, now with custom airbrush work done to it.  \m/  (><)  \m/

Kim! You're too old to have and play such teenager axes, grow up!!!   ^-^
EMGs suck my energies.

Chucky

« Reply #152 on: Time Format »

Same here,V's explorers and super strats.Always found that a LP was just too heavy.Altough i really dig the playability and sound.Fender strats,really like the sound but not the feel.

But my best guitar is my MSG V,Chuck check it out

http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=576.15
Cute little darling, Marsh.

I only used to own an Ibanez V, flamed top, the series that came out along the Destroyer model.
I'm also mostly playing Strats/SuperStrats, but Les Pauls always are close to my heart.
They're like big jewels to me.
If you ever try a chambered one, you will see that the weight issue isn't in the way anymore.
And it unleashes tone by the ton. I swear!!!
EMGs suck my energies.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #153 on: Time Format »

Interesting Tele ... did you swap out the ashtray bridge for the floyd + locking nut? How does it sound now in comparison?
Simple answer, heaps better  :whoohoo!: . It's heavier than my JPLP (which isn't chambered).
This guitar has some history:
It fell off the wall in the shop which chipped the finish around the lower bout strap button so I got it for $400 AUD over 25 years ago (it's a jap Profile tel BTW, not a fender).
I put a SD Hot tele PU in it (which it still has but not for long)
I put a SD tele neck PU in it (which I bought in Hong Knog ~1985, which I broke the windings on as it had no PU cover and the top E used to catch over the open coil  :facepalm: as I play quite hard  >:D
So put in a SD Hot Rails in the neck with a series/parallel switch and an ES335 style PU switch.
I put a Gotoh trem on it (had to cut the "ashtray" bridge and just keep the bit to mount the bridge PU and rout for the springs etc). IIRC this had the lock nut thing behind the nut, nice trem but then one of the fine tuner bolts broke  :facepalm: , by then I had the Anderson so the tele was a spare (after many years of good service, and I like the way teles' fight you)
The I put the Shaller FR on it (copied the Anderson routing so fully floating) and installed jumbo frets
Much more recently I wreaked one of the coils in the old hot rails PU doing a neck relieve adjustment (such a dumb idea putting it at the body end  :facepalm: ), and I'd had a few wines  >:D which didn't help...
So put a new Hot Rails in the neck (way too hot for that spot, the older one suited the neck spot better..
SC found me an Ultrasonic Ref3 (my favourite PUs) on German Evil Bay which is now in the neck and I have a Humbucker sized Ultrasonic (Ref6) I'll put in the bridge (but it needs to be routed to fit it) and I'm contemplating a respray and maybe do the SC oil job on the neck  :dunno:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DorsetRatt

« Reply #154 on: Time Format »

That's a lot of history for that tele of yours, it would keep the local A & E department busy :)

So it sounds heaps better, but ignoring the pickup swaps, did removing the ashtray bridge and the open nut make it sound less like a tele? Did it loose it tele-ness?

PS You've just reminded me about using Tru-Oil on guitar necks, I've got an update for SCs thread.
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #155 on: Time Format »

Kim! You're too old to have and play such teenager axes, grow up!!!   ^-^

LOL  the only "grandpa guitar" I have is the Gretsch and that's an acoustic......    :lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #156 on: Time Format »

Same here,V's explorers and super strats.Always found that a LP was just too heavy.Altough i really dig the playability and sound.Fender strats,really like the sound but not the feel.

But my best guitar is my MSG V,Chuck check it out

http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=576.15

If you ever try a chambered one, you will see that the weight issue isn't in the way anymore.
And it unleashes tone by the ton. I swear!!!

I didn't even know that existed!  Chambered Les Paul eh

Um I just work out, heavy guitars are no issue now to me like they were when I was a kid  :thumb-up:

I just never liked Les Paul, well on some people they look good, John Sykes, Glenn Tipton in the "Killing Machine" video and sure some tones are nice, but some tones they do are so Les Paul it stinks lol

That's just me though.  I'm starting to think one of my thru neck Squier Stagemasters is starting to sound a little Les Paulish and I dunno if I like it.  It's a superstrat but with the thru neck.  Compared to it's bolt on brother its very dark.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #157 on: Time Format »

That's a lot of history for that tele of yours, it would keep the local A & E department busy :)

So it sounds heaps better, but ignoring the pickup swaps, did removing the ashtray bridge and the open nut make it sound less like a tele? Did it loose it tele-ness?

PS You've just reminded me about using Tru-Oil on guitar necks, I've got an update for SCs thread.
My green Anson Strat got even more mods over the years LoL, particularly after I did a guitar building course (where we all built an acoustic (shall post that guitar later)). Armed with that knowledge...
Sound wise the tele was never what I was after in original form (hence SD hot tele bridge). It's a really heavy body, as heavy as my JPLP. I can't really remember what it sounded like back when I bought it, so long ago... But each mod improved it in various ways. I put the shaller FR on it coz the Gotoh broke and I wanted a spare for stage with the same whammy as the Anderson (for when I pop a string, usually a D string, if I didn't change strings after every 2nd gig, I'd routinely pop a D in the 3rd set). Money was always an issue back then so it all happened as I could afford bits, fortuitously I could do all the work myself and had decent tools by then as I was building and repairing. Since I put the Ultrasonic in the neck it just sings (not like a tele), the SD Hot tele in the bridge sounds quite tele ish on its own so I combine it with the Ultrasonic. Once I put the other Ultrasonic in the bridge it will be perfect (sound wise). Teles' are typically hard to play, they fight you and make you work for your sounds  >:D and even with the big frets it still does, but worth it (for me and my style).

Getting rid of the ashtray bridge was a good move, the Gotoh sounded much better, and the shaller FR even better again. The shaller came with a long sustain block that used to poke out the back a little  :facepalm: . I've since fitted the "right" depth block (which is brass, as was the original it came with) so sustain has always been good. So I ended up with a much better sounding guitar that's lots of fun to play.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #158 on: Time Format »

Cute little darling, Marsh.

I only used to own an Ibanez V, flamed top, the series that came out along the Destroyer model.

Thanks Chuck

I've been searching for one of those Ibanez V guitars and they are hard to find over here.And if you find one the prices are way too high.

Chucky

« Reply #159 on: Time Format »

One thing I have been longing to do for years and finally got the time/energy/inspiration through the holidays:
Building wall rackings to install my guitars around the house.
It started with using a wall upstairs and I made a 6 unit rack.

I have a mini acoustic and mini Les Paul on there for the moment...
They will be replaced by other axes whenever upcoming projects will be finished.
There is my SG faded mooncrescent that I use for my AC/DC tribute band.
A Schecter bass, a black Gibson Les Paul BFG (Chambered) that sounds as great as it looks
and a self made axe that has yet to be properly finished!!
Palm Springs commercial photography

Then I built a 5 unit rack for Strats...
Top left to right: Cream Wayne"s World Squier Strat, self-made Frankenstrat (My main axe) and a Ritchie Blackmore signature
Bottom: Self-made green Strat and a gorgeous orange sparkle MIM.

Had to make yet another 5 unit rack to hold superstrats...
Top L to R: Kramer Baretta with a self made zebrano neck, self made Budweiser axe, self made swirl paint axe.
Bottom: BC Rich Korean Mockingbird and Ibanez CAMO RG in the process of construction.

Last but not least, the bedroom wall unit with 3 axes for the moment, but it will get to be a 5 unit soon.
L to R: Les Paul standard faded, Custom Shop LP Elegant and a Bacchus LP.

It's amazing to be able to see all my guitars and grab any at will instead of searching through cases and
clutter my house with them. Truly helps to keep motivated to practice!!  :whoohoo!: :banana-trip: :whoohoo!:

EMGs suck my energies.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #160 on: Time Format »

Hey Chucky, nice collection  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: although I suspect you made a few of us jealous LoL. I picked up some parts the other day to refit a Squier bullet strat, originally it was for my daughter but she never developed any interest. Will post a pic after I fit all the new hardware.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #161 on: Time Format »

3rd pic, top row, middle and right: Exactly my thing!!! Awesome!  :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #162 on: Time Format »

I like the fenders.

What is the guitar in the first pic, farthest to the right?  Says "Dry"  all over it?  Is it a Kramer?

You have double the amount of guitaers I have.  Of course most of mine are all cheap guitars modded up.

I modded Squier strat the other day with a dummy coil and a shcaller trem instead of the original floyd rose II that was on there.  I also stuck in a 42mm sustain block as opposed to the 37mm that was in there before.  It took the 42mm to problem!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #163 on: Time Format »

Wow Chuck,impressive collection. :thumb-up:

Chucky

« Reply #164 on: Time Format »

I like the fenders.

What is the guitar in the first pic, farthest to the right?  Says "Dry"  all over it?  Is it a Kramer?

It's another selfmade axe...With Molson Dry labels (Beer brand).

You have double the amount of guitars I have. 
Yeah...I guess I'm a bit psychotic.  :crazy: :crazy:
I guess I would have even more if I didn't get my house burglarized in 2008 where 11 guitars were stolen.  :facepalm:

Of course most of mine are all cheap guitars modded up. I modded Squier strat the other day with a dummy coil and a shcaller trem instead of the original floyd rose II that was on there.  I also stuck in a 42mm sustain block as opposed to the 37mm that was in there before.  It took the 42mm to problem!
The center Strat with swirled red white and blue paint job is built around a body of a MIM Squier.
That body sounded so good, I couldn't not use it.
Originally that guitar was red and I hate red Strats for some reason...So I had all the reasons to take it apart and finally build the FrankenStrat of my dreams.  :whoohoo!:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chucky »
EMGs suck my energies.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Up