ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Axe FX  (Read 14180 times)

Batsinthebelltower

Axe FX
« on: Time Format »

Anyone think the axe fx is overstated and overpriced at £1800 (ish)

Ive been doing a lot of reading , youtube vids, and forum research on it. The forum stuff in particular was quite revealing , because you have noob to intermediate guitarists recording with it , and it sounds like any other amp or even an impulse response software amp.  Then ofcourse you have pro recordings too , in which it sounds really great , but i wonder howmuch of that is down to good mixxing and mastering techniques...

I also see loads of people selling their latest axefx2 , so they can get the new axefx2XL ; the only difference is the XL has more memory for presets , no new sounds. Do you think its a cult following, or is the item really that good ?

After nearly 20 years playing and being an equipment enthusiast , it feel like the majority of stuff is marketting hype these days , and i can imagine spending thatmuch money only to be let down by what is , basically , a guitar sound. Id probably tweak it to get an ada sound , when ive already an ada sitting here  :facepalm:....

Any thoughts guys !?  :banana-dance:

RandallRG

Re: Axe FX
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I'll quote you Bats...."The majority of stuff is marketing hype these days" B-I-N-G-O! Yes Sir I feel the same way about ALOT of products out there for sure Dude..
"A guitar sound. Id probably tweak it to get an ADA sound"  :thumb-up:                                                                                                   

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Id probably tweak it to get an ada sound , when ive already an ada sitting here
Absolutely, why attempt to clone something when you have the real thing.  I know a couple of guys who bought one, one of them never plays live just in his home studio, he loves it, another who plays live and likes big tube input stages, he said it's good for recording but no enough dynamics for him live.  I must try one sometime and form my own view but I suspect I'd agree with them an like it for recording but not live.

I agree they are very expensive (~$3.5k AUD ish) although, I paid $2.5k AUD many years ago for my MP2 so probably about the same in future value of money terms.

I've never been a fan of the whole tone cloning thing and prefer real analogue stuff. That said though, if I was going to buy a cloner, the AxeFX seems to be the one to go for.  They have a couple of advantages, the CPU they use is specifically designed and optimised for DSP (and very fast, which is what you need..), big wide fast buss paths (again what you need), fractal algorithms (if you are gona clone, fractals are the go) and all the bells an whistles built in and fully flexible routing between them.  So I can see the attraction particularly if you want to have many different sounds. Perfect for a session player.. :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Batsinthebelltower

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I paid $2.5k AUD many years ago for my MP2 so probably about the same in future value of money terms.

I had no idea the MP1 was ever that expensive !! Insane !! Anyone got the official USA / UK release price ? On the upside, the price has dropped, but the sound has remained the same , ADA really is my favourite brand ! Another cool thing is , anyone i mention it to here in ireland , has never heard of it , other than JD who also lives in ireland and i -think- is a member of this forum !! Gotta love that secret tone !! :banana-trip:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The MP1 was a bit cheaper than the MP2 here IIRC (maybe $1500 AUD ??), as the MP2 had so many more features.  Some people in Oz know of ADA probably mostly because of Nuno and Paul Gilbert.  Trevor Rabin is also an ADA user I think (Yes, owner of a lonely heart etc)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I payed 38000 franks (about 950 euro) back in 1991 for my mp-1.An mp-2 was around 65000fr (about 1625 euro) back then.
I still have some pricelists of ADA gear.

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

NO!!! it is not overhyped. I bought an Ultra in 2008 and it is nothing short of superior. (Paid $2500). The things you can do with this unit are incredible. I ran it for a while without my 3TM and it sounded killer. (Have since put the 3TM back in.)

You have endless amounts of amps, you can configure your effects chain, any and every tweak you can think of for amps, cabs, mic placement, diodes,  :banana-trip: plus you can use custom cabinets, with various mic positions, speakers. The harmonizer and 'dreamscape' patches are top notch.

For instance I have a Diezel amp running in my primary chain and a clean Blues Jr. in my secondary chain.

This thing replaced my:
ISP Decimator
onboard tuner
GForce (it can do 98% of what the H3000 can do as well.)
ISP-33B
MicroCabII

If you think about what it will replace in your rig, it helps justify the cost. Plus a LOT easier on the back. lol

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey finstah, I really get that they are so versatile and pretty much one stop shopping which is what I envisage for an MP3, same idea but with tube analogue signal generation, in many ways the ADA pre-amps where the predecessor to an AxeFX type unit.  If you took an MP1, MP1 3TM and MP2 and put them in the same unit combined with digital analogue/effects with flexible routing and variable cab sims for recording.... I recon it would sound "better" and be as conveinient (not to bag AxeFx out BTW, they've gone the digital way and, it would seem done a good job doing so).

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

(not to bag AxeFx out BTW, they've gone the digital way and, it would seem done a good job doing so).

that's the thing, all the fan boys said digital... blah. And I was one of them. But Cliff nailed it.

Speaking of the MP3. I heard ADA was suppose to make it a few years back and shelved it. They bringing it back?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Not sure, not much news from ADA re MP3, I did start a thread of what we'd all like in one (in case they are taking any notice ?), they seem focused on the APP-1, wouldn't mind trying one but; 1 - I don't want a stomp box and power adaptors near my feet (fu#k that and ADA solved this so well!!!!), 2 - I don't want all SS, I like tubes, they sound better and allways will (IMHO). Moreover, while using fractal algorithms may help to clone stuff, there's nothing like the real thing  :thumb-up:

shreddingjoris

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I think that a part of it's popularity comes from low tuned guitars/djent scène. Think about it, digital modelers sound thin compared to tubes right? Well, they make a perfect match for 7-8-9 strings because it compromises both problems... A 8 string might sound flubby true an tube amp, but not true a "thin" digital modeler. So the 8 string makes the modeler sound fatter/fuller.

RandallRG

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I payed 38000 franks (about 950 euro) back in 1991 for my mp-1.An mp-2 was around 65000fr (about 1625 euro) back then.
I still have some pricelists of ADA gear.
HOLY CRAP Marshall.....That's some serious Coin Dude! (Even back then!)  :o
If you still have some price lists from back in the day can you post them up or send me them? I would like to see them...Thanks Dude!  :thumb-up:
« Last Edit: Time Format by RandallRG »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I think that a part of it's popularity comes from low tuned guitars/djent scène. Think about it, digital modelers sound thin compared to tubes right? Well, they make a perfect match for 7-8-9 strings because it compromises both problems... A 8 string might sound flubby true an tube amp, but not true a "thin" digital modeler. So the 8 string makes the modeler sound fatter/fuller.
I get where your coming from, tubes amps should still be ok but they are optimised for "normal" guitar tunings.  I recon if you chucked a couple of 15s under some ADA split stacks with a MP1/2 and decent power amp (obviously adjust patches accordingly) and did the big detune thing it would be fine/good.

shreddingjoris

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I get where your coming from, tubes amps should still be ok but they are optimised for "normal" guitar tunings.  I recon if you chucked a couple of 15s under some ADA split stacks with a MP1/2 and decent power amp (obviously adjust patches accordingly) and did the big detune thing it would be fine/good.

Yep probably... Still, the axe has tons of options and fx, but i personally dont need all that stuff. All i need is an awesome leadtone and a good cleantone... So i'll take the ada Thank u :).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Yep probably... Still, the axe has tons of options and fx, but i personally dont need all that stuff. All i need is an awesome leadtone and a good cleantone... So i'll take the ada Thank u :).
+1  :thumb-up:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up