ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MDRT heat  (Read 5768 times)

Rusty

MDRT heat
« on: Time Format »

Hi folks,  Just want to ask a question about heat from the MDRT transformer I have in my 3TM,

The MDRT feels pretty hot after playing for about 30 minutes or so, I took the lid off to touch it and yea it gets very hot, especially the metal laminate core, its almost un-touchable. Is that normal to produce so much heat with an MDRT as I'm a bit concerned about it?

Everything else is normal and the sound doesn't change.

Thanks.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MDRT heat
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I have MDRTs in my MB1s, I'll test next time I fire one up and also ask MikeB as he has one in his MP1.  MJMP will be able to give you are more unequivocal answer but I expect it's normal and nothing to be concerned about.  MP2s get very hot on top and it's never been a problem in all the years I've gigged with mine (as do B200s  >:D ).  I did have some minor issues with fade when I had one of my MP2s on top of the MB1 (or was it MB1 on top of MP2  :dunno: ), they were just sitting in the angle studio rack though, not bolted in so no gap between them.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Normally an MDRT hooked up to a 3TM with the lid off get's to around 36-38 °C (depending on the room temp).

For the rest it depends where you put the mp-1 in, the cooling it gets etc... but it can stand at least 50°C.

Rusty

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the replys guys,
I'm thinking I might drill some holes on the lids and get some more extra air moving.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Well you could do that, how do you have it mounted ? You really shouldn't need to drill more holes, not that they will hurt.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I agree with Nolan, maybe a fan would be a better idea. Blow some air in your rack.

herbyguitar

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Would there be any problem running without a top cover on the MP1 with a MDRT so the heat can get out easier?
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Mmm two issues here.One is safety, second the case acts a bit like a faraday's cage so removing the top cover could give more noise (although not much)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

+1 on what MJMP said.   I'd add that without a lid there's a greater chance of dust and other foreign debris building up in there, neither of which will do the unit any favors.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Good point Kim !

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

IMHO, running with the lid off (except when needed for maintenance etc) is not a good idea.  Apart from what the guys have said, it also acts a a heat sink and spreads the heat across the whole surface area so it can dissipate.  Mount it at the top of the rack so it has air above it, make sure there's as big a gap as possible between units so air can circulate (or even better leave a space beneath it).  Really, it shouldn't be a problem, yes these unit get hot, but that's how they were designed, and in all the years I've used MP1 then MP2 (which are even hotter), I've never had any issues (just don't go touching the top LoL).  Moreover, this is in Australia, it gets quite hot here in summer.

Rusty

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Thank you everyone,

This is what I have done so far, and I haven't drilled extra vent holes on the lids as of yet.

I have flipped the bottom lid  ( :) )  around to get more vertical,  more/extra heat flowing straight up past the voltage regulatours and hopefully take more heat away from the MDRT,  see the pics (sorry about the quality, my phone is crap!)

Also, I have, for the sake of 'nothing else to do!', I've added more/extra heatsinks to the voltage regulators and put heat sink compound on them back and front, there was none used to begin with from the ADA factory.  Including changing the mylar insulators, longer insulator washers, and nuts and bolts. (converting from USA imperial to metric is  :crazy: if your pedantic  ;D)

I dunno yet if I'm finished with this heat issue, 'I like things cool' these days  :)

Looking at where the power cord switch and power switch are located is giving me the idea to build a transformerless circuit that would supply a mini blower fan that could be easily drilled and mounted adjacent where the power cord comes in.
This is dead space to me and as you all know, dead space is prime time property opportunity in electronic enclosures.

Anyways, overheating freaks me out, it could be because I was in the the fire alarm bizz for a while  ;D

I'll keep you's all up dated tho', I just don't want to get the Bosch drill out just yet and attack the lids and chassis.

But Thanks folks, its nice to be here with the best of the best and hear from you's

Thanks you's, Rusty !!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up