ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 Trials  (Read 42664 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: MP1 Trials
« Reply #75 on: Time Format »

Yeah that's not too far off my setting man.  You've a little more dirt thrown in and a little less level.  I'll perhaps try this and also  with your patch settings.  Thanks for that.  I think I was very gentle bringing a pedal infront because previously I had so much shit and noise I just got insane feedback.  Then I started to do things like move the plugs around etc.  Hopeing the power conditioner purchase will clean up some bullshit I seem to get through my rig.

Anyways I'm going to try the EQ pedal through the MP1 also, although using the OD of the GT5 has been a favourite thing of mine since I discovered that unit.  It's weird it has a lesser OD module, called "Natural Drive" and I thought I could perhaps use that as well, but not it sounded like shit.  It was too loud or something and added no extra crunchey feel that the OD module does.

Looking forward to trying these ideas, that will be my gateway to more thrash level distortion with the MP1, and then I'll also have a different flavour altogether with my 3TM.  And then I have my two Rock Masters!!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #76 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry, here are some settings I use:
OD1.     OD2.     MG.    B.     M.     T.    P.     Depth.   Rate
 4.            5.5.       7.5.   12.     6.     6.   12.       20.      0.5
 4.            5.5.       7.5.    9.       4.     6.     8.       30.      0.1
 7.              5.         7.      12.     -6.    9.     6.        74.     0.1
 5.              5.         6.5.    6.       8.      6.    4.       20.     1.7
 6.5.         7.5.       8.       9.       -8.     0.    10.      0.        0

These with a GE7+ SD1 or GE7 + TS9 into front of MP1.

Ok had a few hours deafening myself yesterday with the MP1.  Tried all you OD1 and OD2 settings man.  Probably settled on just two of them as the 6.5 - 7.5 setting didn't bring much more to the tone other than bit more noise and saturation.  4 - 5.5 seemed a good all rounder.  I used my own EQing on the unit but next week I'll try yours.

I just used my own as I had a base patch already made up from when I tried an od in front before, then tweaked as I saw fit.

Well the results I'm very happy with, I got usable settings I think.  I used the "vintage Overdrive" module on my GT5, this I guess is somewhere between a Boss OD-1 and OD-3.  It's what I use normally in front as a gain boost.  Worked a treat.

But then I tried the distortion modules which are based on the DS-1 and DS-2.  Could not get anything good from using these, even very low at the front end.  Utter horrid tone.

Then an accident occurred!!!!!  Good accident  :whoohoo!:.  There is a crunch distortion on the GT5 and a Blues Driver.  These create VERY smooth and natural drive sounds, and sound really great on their own since they are analogue.  However I've never had a use for them myself, even as a boost for the amp sims on the pedal itself which I still think are good.  Well I'm not sure what the "Crunch" is meant to be on the GT5 because I don't know of any Boss "Crunch" pedal, but I do know setting it at 50 on the drive, and about 35 on the level (so no actual volume boost pushes the MP1 front creating distortion that way) creates a really amazing flavoured hi gain!!!  To me it reminded me of a DS-1 going into a Marshall or something like that.  It really sounded great!  And this for me was amazing as I love different distortion flavours.  Next week I shall try and record some and see what ya'll think :)

I have yet to try EQ pedal of sorts in front of the MP1 but I shall.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #77 on: Time Format »

The higher od settings work good for me however they are tweaked using my pro Q, and the parametric eq and noise gate in the G major 2. I use my boss eq up front to boost the mids, then pull them out with the pro q and parametric. Its a bit tricky but has a nice thrashy tone!
The mid level od settings I use for anything from hard rock to "hair metal". Keep tweaking away you know as well as I every rig, guitar and guitar player is different. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #78 on: Time Format »

Oh yeah totally man, that's why I wasn't so worried about the EQ settings you had used, because they're always relative to the rig you have from your guitar down to your cabs and speakers.  So the OD1 and OD2 settings where a good base to work off.  I'm really impressed with the variety you can get with different pedals infront.  That crunch overdrive I was using rather than my usual vintage Overdrive really brought a different texture and voice.  The OD boosts a lot of mids, kinda almost like a stuck wha, almost, the crunch didn't have that, it had like texture boost as opposed to a mid rangey style boost.  Either way f**king good stuff and yes I shall keep tweaking.  That's what this post is all about, my journey using the MP1.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #79 on: Time Format »

getting into a good zone using the od on my boss GT5.

Setting that are best for me are actually having the OD drive setting at zero, Bass +16 Trebel 0 Level 45%

Mp1 patch is:

OD1 4.4
OD2 7.0
Bass 0
Mid -1
Trebel 2
Presence 4

This patch works great with the OD boost in front, and also works well if you turn the boost off so this is great for switching from a chuncky thrashier distortion to a smoothier but still responsive distortion which works well for slightly less heavyier requirements, but still heavy enough.

When I add the boost it needs a bit more bottom end so when I turn the OD on the boss I have programmed that the EQ on the boss comes on at the same time and on this I have a +5db LO end boost.  I was in the zone with this settings on saturday.  Real happy with how it sounds.

On another note, I have bought the Big Noise kit and MDRT of MJMP for this MP1 so I'm hoping for even greater improvement with sound.  I'm loving having both tonal variants in the stock MP1 with OD and MP1 3TM.  They sound different but both excellent.  Perhaps the OD in front of stock MP1 is older school sounding................may be, I like that though  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #80 on: Time Format »

Played a gig with the MP1 + boost at the weekend.  Sounds f**king excellent but when I turned up really loud I was getting crazy feedback for most of the set.  Ok may be not crazy feedback but quite a bit more than normal.  Enough to make playing more difficult.

I took the MP1 home and plugged into my recording set up.  Same patch, same boost on my boss MFX, what do you know?  Sounds f**king amazing here also.  No alteration needed on the MP1 or the boss.  The exact same settings on both work on my live rig and on my recording rig!  How weird is that?  Pretty handy if you ask me!  The beauty of the boss is I can turn the boost on and off plus turn on the EQ for a tiny bit more bass when the OD boost is applied.  Programming them so that they come on and off together is so useful.  It means the MP1 patch can be used by itself as it is a nice patch and works without the boost in front.  Just if I was needing more of a thrash sound I would need the boost.

I really love the MP1 and I'm glad I kept a stock unit.  I might look for another unit, and perhaps have a different mod in it?  Who knows.  They are stupidly priced these days.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up