ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 Trials  (Read 42670 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: MP1 Trials
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

In regards to the top switch, yeah I know about that, I just cannot remember for the life of me does it have one!

Either way it's not important as I know I can use either the front and rear input on that MP1.

MJMP i messaged you about the noise mod kit.

I still want to go through the checks though and see if we can establish the noise situation a little better.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

Top switch is for line/inst level on the main outs (to plug into guitar amp inputs (inst) or power amp inputs (line)), nothing to do with the loop ( I can't remember if it has the switch on top for line level switching on the loop or not.) The loop copes with line/inst level by using a dual gang pot wired so turning it up turns the other down etc.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

Well I knew it switched something round the back but it's of no use to me either way.

I wonder what my 3TM is set to, must check it while the cover is off.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Hey RG

Your 3TM should be a lot more quiet then the original,is this so in your case?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

I've not tried the 3TM on my live setup.  Once I get a chance to do the testing I will try that also.

I've a gig in Dublin this weekend and then we're shooting a music video for the new single so I may not get a chance to do it this weekend.

I'll start by doing al the basic tests with the MP1 first then try the 3TM.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, hope the gig and video shoot goes well  :thumb-up: :wave:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

The gig went great!  50 minute set!!  Didn't use the MP1 though.  Used the Peavey Rockmaster instead.

Before I left for the gig, I tested the MP1 a little bit.  I plugged into the MP1, and only the MP1.  I connected this to my power amps.  So it was

guitar > MP1 > Amp > cabs 

(usually it's this guitar > Boss GT5 > Boss send to MP1 > MP1 out to Boss Return > Boss Out > Amp > cabs)

Still noise.  Albeit different than when it's connected to my FX pedal (in the loop).  I couldn't quite tell if it was worse than when it was in the FX pedla loop or not.

So I don't think the pedal setup is the problem.  But of course it will add some extra noise as every device will.

@ Soloist I also checked the front and rear input, no difference in noise from what I can hear.

And for the record I now know I have a V2 as no switch on top.

I never got a chance to test the earth on the transformer.

On a seperate note, I noticed my amps are making more noise these days by themselves, could this be part of the issue?  In which case should I switch out the electrolytic caps?  The amps are may be a little over ten years old.  I didn't remember them humming until a few months ago.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

anyone know whether my amps might be adding noise or not?  (see above post)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Normally power amps don't add noise.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

That's what I'm trying to find out, does the hum from the amp affect the sound?  I'm trying to figure out if the amps hum (sounds like the transformer noise to me).

I don't think it is the cause of the MP1's noise but I am wondering is it a contributing factor.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

going to try a different amp today to see if it makes any difference.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

ok some bizarre findings today.

First off I did not use the MP1 until later.  But before I did use it, I took the two amps I play through normally and plugged them into one socket at one side of the room.  Then I plugged the preamp I was using at the time into an extension lead that runs to the plugs on the other side of the room.  I noticed a lot less hum.

Sooooooooooooo  later on then I decided to try MP1 out.  Not as much noise.  I would still say it has noise but more of a normal amount of noise if you understand me.  So this was great!  Since I found a little less noise I decided to pay it for a few hours.  I did so and realised perhaps the initial patch I was using wasn't %100
 great either.  So I was flicking through what ever had been saved on the MP1.  I found two patches that actually sounded a lot higher gain than the patch I was using.  It was pretty cool.  I noticed a lot less noise also.  So this was even more pleasing.  The only thing I didn't feel some of the hi gain patches I discovered could do was thrashy tone.  So I began trying a boost using a OD module on my GT5.  Early days but I might actually get away with using one in front and not having awful feedback issues.

All this seems to be down to the fact less noise was in the signal and the patches I discovered pre programmed must have been designed better than the one I was using as they seemed a lot quieter yet had more gain on same occasions on OD1 AND OD2.

Anyways watch this space.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

I reckon you've got a leprechaun in your power supply ... do you use a power conditioner/filter for your rig? Something that can reduce the noise from electromagnetic and radio frequency (EMI and RFI)?

It's been known for leprechauns to cause noisy interference, voltage fluctuations and electrical surges ;D

« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

Hi DR,

no I don't use one of those.  I did look into it a while back.  I was lead to believe it was an unnecessary piece of gear.  I read a lot that supported  the theories against power conditioners and I also read a lot of people who used them and liked them but couldn't really back it up.

When you say leprechaun/gremlin, what exactly do ya mean  :???:

The reason I ask is because I'm sure the electrics in our rehearsal room + entire premises are just  :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop:  and pretty much responsible for a lot of that rubbish I hear and the reason I want you to be more specific is in case you think there is something wrong with a bit of my gear (which I am currently lead to believe there is not)

so let me know man  :thumb-up:

DorsetRatt

« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

So, your hum level decreases when you tried plugging into a different socket in the room? My first thought was quality of mains power ... hence using a power conditioner/filter. Do you have access to one, or borrow one perhaps?

EDIT: Just a thought ... did you try plugging both your amps and the preamp into the other socket at the same time? Did the hum come back again?
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up