ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ENGL power amp,6L6 Tubes, What are my options?  (Read 8057 times)

Dna^Yay

For a while i have been wanting to change my tubes on my MP1 and on my ENGL poweramp. With help from rnolan, i purchased some Mullard cv4004s for my MP1,which sound great!

Now i purchased a pair of Mullard 6L6GCs for my ENGL 930/60 Stereo amp and a pair of Genalex Gold Lion KT66's. Needless to say as this was my first time dealing with tubes something was bound to screw up. After talking to an ENGL tech and rnolan, i have found out that the KT66s would run too hot for my amp and could damage the transformers windings.The chap at ENGL also stated if i wanted to go with KT77s or KT88s i would need to mod my amp so anything along those lines is out of the window.

So i will be looking into purchasing another pair of tubes to run on the other side of my amp, i guess i could use tubes that do not run any hotter than 6L6s that are 0.9A. I also did a test for current plate voltage and on both sides of the amp i get a reading of 533v.

The reason i wanted to have 2 different pairs in either side of the amp was i wanted to run my amp in stereo in the future with a second preamp. So i could run 2 preamps one distorted and one clean and blend them together. Plus when recording, i would have the option of two different sounding amps to play through.

I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions in regards to what brand of 6L6s GCs etc you have tried and would recommend that would compliment not only my ENGL amp but my MP1 aswell. Or if there was another set of tubes i could use?

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

TAD 6L6WGC STR all the way
None better in my Savage SE

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Dan, so now I understand what you want to do (I think so correct me if I'm wrong). But first a question, do you want to run 2 stereo preamps ? as this makes a difference to where you are thinking. Do you want one side of the ENGL to sound different to the other (Carvin TS100 accommodates this BTW) ?? or just use the ENGL as the "stereo" poweramp and have 2 different preamps to pick between ? Which is how I'd do it, then the best solution IMO is a small desk, plug both preamps in in stereo, use the aux/FX sends to get some FX on (either of them) and use midi patches to pick between different combinations (on/off/appropriate FX), feed the ENGL from the desk/mixer in stereo, heaven on a stick...IMHO.  In which case you'd go with the matched Mullard 6L6s in the ENGL (since you have 2 already (but as SC says if they fit !!)). The TADs SC suggested are also great tubes (I very much respect SCs tube suggestions, partly why I found/fell in love with Mullard Long plates for my MP2 BTW), if the Mullards don't fit though, maybe get a matched 4 of the TADs ??.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

TAD 6L6WGC STR all the way
None better in my Savage SE

+1 :thumb-up:
Pages: [1]   Go Up