ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

Mp1 Mod4 MkII tubes

(1/2) > >>

Soloist:
I recently modded my MP1 to the Mod4 MKII also did the MDRT upgrade. While doing this I noticed I still have the original tubes in it. After the upgrades were done I could really notice how tired and lack luster the old tubes were. I currently have the following new tubes:
3 Mesa boogie 12ax7a Russian 2 white label's
1 Mesa boogie 12ax7a black label
1 Ruby 12ax7a
1 GT 12ax7r
I also have 2 slightly used Tung Sol reissues in my MT200 which I currently am not using.
From the info I could find the Ruby and GT are lower gain, the black label mesa is a medium gain and the white label mesa russian2 are a med/high gain. Anyone have an idea of a good combo of what would work best in V1 and V2 with this mod? Trying to nail that modded George Lynch type tone. I was thinking Ruby in V1 and a russian2 in V2, but I don't want to spend the day tube rolling.

Systematic Chaos:

--- Quote from: Soloist on September 14, 2018, 12:35:23 PM ---
3 Mesa boogie 12ax7a Russian 2 white label's  = Electro Harmonix EHX 12AX7
1 Mesa boogie 12ax7a black label                   = Chinese 12AX7A
1 Ruby 12ax7a                                              = Chinese 12AX7A
1 GT 12ax7r                                                  = Sovtek 12AX7LPS

--- End quote ---

Recommendation: Tung-Sol in V1, either of the Boogies or Ruby in V2. The GT is best used as PI

Soloist:
Well I did the tube rolling anyways and you are correct SC. That combo sounded the best. :thumb-up: Tung Sol in V1 and Mesa Russian 2 in V2. I think I might try that same combo in my MP2.

Soloist:
That combo worked great on the MP2 as well.  More in your face and the harmonics just leap off the fret board! Also added some low end and top sizzle! :headbanger:

Systematic Chaos:
 :thumb-up:  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version