ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 Gain section  (Read 13423 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
MP-1 Gain section
« on: Time Format »

OK Folks another techie question;
 How many stages of gain are in the MP-1 and how much voltage is hitting the two tubes?

I'm figuring the MP-1 is not like the Marshall JMP1 where I believe it's solid state/diodes and gets warmed up a little bit somewhere along the line with a 12AX7? I think the Rocktron Voodoo Valve did the same thing - SS then gets a little tone from a 12AX7 -
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: MP-1 Gain section
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hi DJC,

No, the MP-1 is definitely not like the JMP1.  I think there are two gain stages, but MJMP would be the one to answer that question definitively.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

OK thank you Harley, I will wait for MJMP to jump in on this one  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Since each 12ax7 has 2 sections there are 4 gain stages in the MP-1.Same goes for the MP-1 classic and MP-2 (and even the MB-1).

And yes you are right about the JMP-1, solid state with a tube for warmup. One tube for the clean section and one for the distortion section.So no real tube overdrive sounds like in the MP-1.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Since each 12ax7 has 2 sections there are 4 gain stages in the MP-1.Same goes for the MP-1 classic and MP-2 (and even the MB-1).

And yes you are right about the JMP-1, solid state with a tube for warmup. One tube for the clean section and one for the distortion section.So no real tube overdrive sounds like in the MP-1.

Well that solves the mystery for me too! Thank MJMP :bow:

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

OK good to know MarshallJMP!
 You can actually feel it when you play the MP-1 because there is a give and a breathe to it. I have been playing my best friend's 1.38 for the last two weeks until mine arrive and I remembered the way the MP-1 responded to your picking attack the same way a regular tube amps feels.
 The Rocktron Chameleon and the Marshall JMP1 has a very stiff solid state feel which, can sound good at times but when you crank it really loud is when you really hear and feel that something is missing - like the tubes! LOL!

Still a little curious how much voltage flows through those two tubes -
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

The standard high voltage is 190V, with an MDRT you can bump it up to 240V.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The standard high voltage is 190V, with an MDRT you can bump it up to 240V.
Wow that's pretty hot - I like that!! I'm going to for through the forum and find a little more about the MDRT and who on here can do it and how much!
 Great info Marshall JMP  :thumb-up:

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, MJMP gets the MDRTs made, prices are on his site (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  It's not a hard mod with minimal soldering, but easy job for any tech.  And as I posted before, really opens up the MP1.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, MJMP gets the MDRTs made, prices are on his site (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  It's not a hard mod with minimal soldering, but easy job for any tech.  And as I posted before, really opens up the MP1.

That's the popular concensus, but to my ears, it seems to alter the core tone of the MP-1. For better or for worse is subjective to your personal taste, and what you are looking for out of your amp. That's why I haven't jumped on that bandwagon. I'm not sure I would like the change.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, again very salient, and I hear what you mean.  I think you would like the change but ideally you kind of need one of each.  I was gobsmacked after MikeB made the change to his MP-1, the MDRT really opens up the MP-1, but the MP-1 stock has a creamy (almost boxy) sound (kind of warm ??).  With MDRT it's allot more articulate.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, again very salient, and I hear what you mean.  I think you would like the change but ideally you kind of need one of each.  I was gobsmacked after MikeB made the change to his MP-1, the MDRT really opens up the MP-1, but the MP-1 stock has a creamy (almost boxy) sound (kind of warm ??).  With MDRT it's allot more articulate.

So it's not just me who noticed it. That's the thing I like about the original MP-1 it has a warm low end to it. So you lose some of that warmth with the MDRT?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, no you are correct, the sound changes, is it for the better or worse (subjective). Hey @MikeB you could chime in here.
I think one of my first comments to Mike when I heard it was wow that's going toward the MP2 and what it can do  >:D .

So yeah you loose some of the warmth (but better to say boxyness) of stock.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Okay, I don't want to lose that bottom end. Between the MP-1 and the 3TM, I can cover just about anything the MP-2 can give me but with the MP-1 character. There is a difference there.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'll be letting go of my MP-2's  :lol: I have too much invested in the learning curve of those now.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I cant speak for the 3TM, maybe in the future  >:D ?? But the advantages of the MDRT in stock MP-1 are definitely worth it, it's like lifting off a vale seriously  :thumb-up: .  That said however, there is something in the stock MP-1 sound that you loose (for me it's kind of a boxy/compressed/mud (but nice warm mud)  :dunno: ) so one of each makes sense. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up