ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying ADAs  (Read 6204 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
Buying ADAs
« on: Time Format »

Folks if I may I would like to share a few thoughts;
 The last two weeks have a been a real nightmare  - truly an unpleasant experience at best in trying to come back into the glory of my old rack days with ADA MP-1s.

As I have shared with you all, myself and my dear friend and Brother Jason ( who owns the coveted and all original 1.38 ) have been through 4 MP-1s now and are approaching 6 by weeks end. All four that we have purchased from both Ebay and Reverb have been a real mess because either shipping issues or worse yet, MODS done by people having no clue what they are doing.

I realize that after speaking to several that I have purchased from that they more than likely were simply unaware that the units had modded or attempted to be modded. The second I plug into one and fired it up I know what's going on and that's where the headache begins. 
 Now I do realize that units are now either at 30 years old or approaching and who knows who all has been in there monkeying around!!  >:(  But think being honest in your listing will help.

For instance, if you have only owned the MP-1 for a year or even a few months state that. Saying it's mint and you have own it since it was new ( two people said that to me ) only to find out that they bought it that way. I am fortunate though I have been given refunds with no issues and even this one I have just put up pics for, the seller is giving a full refund.

I guess maybe I am venting a bit because I thought this was going to be an easy transitions back into beloved and familiar territory - but it has not!!!!!

But I will keep everyone up to date - tomorrow two more MP-1 ones arrive!!  :banana:
Certainly one of those should hopefully be worth bragging about on here - and making a vid or two!  ;)

I certainly appreciate all of you for your help and sharing so much valuable information with me - YOU ROCK!!!!  :headbanger:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

vansinn

Re: Buying ADAs
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well, I can see your problem with modded devices, but will also say that any old electronics should be given a full workover, so while replacing known-possibly-bad components, check out for mods.

With a relatively non-complex device like the MP-1, mods will likely mostly be around the tube section (like one of the Depot mod-thisorthat), or opamp and capacitor upgrades.

Two separate pics from a modern cellphone, each showing half to 2/3rd of the inside, posted in here, should be enough to depict what's been modded.
Further, crap mods will likely have been done non-expertly, with components sticking in all directions and quite visible soldering, so it should be possible to detect such.
If a mod is done quite expertly, chances are it may actually work ;)

Now, I assume you'll want a fully stock MP-1 (at least for having a clean starting base), so I can most certainly see your points.

Further, as an example of fairly decent mods.. one my two MP-2's are going on sale. It had been modded as per Depot instructions when I bought it, like a few opamps and new caps in the PSU section.
Detecting the PSU caps upgrades are quite visible, as those caps weren't fully seated, and easily fixable to look fully ok, but locating which opamps were replaced and whether the noise gate mod was done is more tedious, and I'll want to be able to properly describe what's been modded when selling it - not to have it returned, so, again, yeah, I do read your frustration..
« Last Edit: Time Format by van Sinn »

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Well, I can see your problem with modded devices, but will also say that any old electronics should be given a full workover, so while replacing known-possibly-bad components, check out for mods.

With a relatively non-complex device like the MP-1, mods will likely mostly be around the tube section (like one of the Depot mod-thisorthat), or opamp and capacitor upgrades.

Two separate pics from a modern cellphone, each showing half to 2/3rd of the inside, posted in here, should be enough to depict what's been modded.
Further, crap mods will likely have been done non-expertly, with components sticking in all directions and quite visible soldering, so it should be possible to detect such.
If a mod is done quite expertly, chances are it may actually work ;)

Now, I assume you'll want a fully stock MP-1 (at least for having a clean starting base), so I can most certainly see your points.

Further, as an example of fairly decent mods.. one my two MP-2's are going on sale. It had been modded as per Depot instructions when I bought it, like a few opamps and new caps in the PSU section.
Detecting the PSU caps upgrades are quite visible, as those caps weren't fully seated, and easily fixable to look fully ok, but locating which opamps were replaced and whether the noise gate mod was done is more tedious, and I'll want to be able to properly describe what's been modded when selling it - not to have it returned, so, again, yeah, I do read your frustration..

You have a lot of good info here Van Sinn, thanks for sharing.  :D 
If I saw that something had been modded by and made reference to ADA Depot like I have seen or some of the other now famous ADA mod guys it might be OK.
 But I love the perfectly stock MP-1 ones which for me has more gain than I can ever use. Plus I have always used a gate right after whatever amp or preamp then into a delay so I wouldn't care for the noise mod either. In the past two weeks though twice I have bought MP-1s that the seller said they modded themselves, of coarse only after I had played them and discovered things weren't right and confronted the seller. I think because there is so much info out on the net I feel people think since they have a soldering iron and haven't burned their house down that makes them qualified to work on the own equipment.

So I'm hoping in the next couple days when two more MP-1s arrive at least one is a keeper!!  But as a courtesy to this forum I will point out any MP-1s I have purchased that may end up again on Ebay or Reverb just to give a heads up to forum members.
I guess the main thing is ask a lot of questions before purchasing  :thumb-up:

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, wow 4 units all without a decent one  :facepalm: , I hope the next 2 bring some more joy  :thumb-up: . And yes you may get a refund, but you don't want a refund ggrrr, you just want one that works.

You could do a WTB post in the buy sell ADA gear section, one of our members may (should) have a stock MP-1 they don't (really) need ?

Sobering and salient warning re evil bay and reverb and how people miss-represent the goods.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Dang, DJC. Sorry this is happening to you man. You'll find one, don't worry.

I know you don't wanna hear this, but I found one a few years ago on Craigslist that was bone stock and sounded great. I put some new tubes in it and flipped it (I got it cheap). Now, I live near about 1.5 hours drive from Emeryville, CA (the home of ADA), so I do see a bit more ADA gear on my local CL than most folks.

I'll keep my eyes out too, just in case

Wait...somebody is selling an MP-1 (v2) with an MQ-1!! http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/5907432650.html (you can click this link too)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Wow that's a good deal, usually an MQ-1 alone sells for 300$ , they are quite rare.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, wow 4 units all without a decent one  :facepalm: , I hope the next 2 bring some more joy  :thumb-up: . And yes you may get a refund, but you don't want a refund ggrrr, you just want one that works.

You could do a WTB post in the buy sell ADA gear section, one of our members may (should) have a stock MP-1 they don't (really) need ?

Sobering and salient warning re evil bay and reverb and how people miss-represent the goods.

Yes Sir Richard and I don't lie, I'm real honest in all that I do. It's why I use my real name online and even put up pics of myself so people can know and trust who I am. However I don't always get that same courtesy and in dealing with transactions online I'm real forgiving if they are descent people or at least act like it.
 This has been extremely frustrating  and I could not have imagined a month ago telling anyone that I have purchased 6 of the same item and so far four of them were not functional  :facepalm: And I don't have a lot of money however my dear friend Jason has fronted me the funds to put this rack system together. I have a band and we are trying to get out and get going this year and I don't have an amp!!!!!  Far too many repair issues with the previous amp I had and too expensive to keep fixing so I want to go back to racks and use the MP-1s that I loved so much.

I'm gonna have faith on this one today and the one that is coming tomorrow Folks and keep you posted!
 And if things don't work out you can bet I'm gonna be hitting you guys up on here!  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, our thoughts are with you  :thumb-up: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Yeah, that's some bum stuff right there.  Something good has to turn up soon, hang in there.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Guys, the latest news I have just posted in Tech stuff.  :-\
Hopefully this is something minor. I have reached out to MJMP on this one already.

Feeling a little beat up at the moment, I'll give you an update soon.  :blank:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey, DJC, mate...do not loose your faith: just have patience and do not trust ANY seller you don't know at first.

Reading about your journey here and there in the Depot, I assume I've been lucky a lot with my "new" MP-1...probably even more lucky than with my first one, that I bought used from a friend 20 years ago...and now, reading some discussions here, I think that my old 1.38 had some front input issues (or gain trimpots? who knows?) I wasn't aware at that time, since I've never been convinced about it's gain, it sounded not so "hot" even with new tubes (GT 7025/12AX7) and high gain settings for OD1 and OD2.

Before I found this one V2.01, I've contacted other people...and, to be honest, I discarded modded units...because everyone writes "modified by qualified personel" or "modified by the best tech guy in the World" but they don't write WHO the hell is that people who modified that stuff....and they sell at "too low" prices.
So, basically, I do not trust them or, at least, I'm not sure about what I'm buying.

I decided for a 100% stock unit and I've been lucky enough to find one brand new, with just that small issue with front/rear input you already know and that I easily solved with the help of our good MJMP and some other luck.
The seller was honest and I understood that from 2 things:

1) he answered quickly to my first email
2) we spoke by phone about everything

So, if it's possible, have a phone call with a seller: it's more easy to understand if you can trust him/her or not.

« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey, DJC, mate...do not loose your faith: just have patience and do not trust ANY seller you don't know at first.

Reading about your journey here and there in the Depot, I assume I've been lucky a lot with my "new" MP-1...probably even more lucky than with my first one, that I bought used from a friend 20 years ago...and now, reading some discussions here, I think that my old 1.38 had some front input issues (or gain trimpots? who knows?) I wasn't aware at that time, since I've never been convinced about it's gain, it sounded not so "hot" even with new tubes (GT 7025/12AX7) and high gain settings for OD1 and OD2.

Before I found this one V2.01, I've contacted other people...and, to be honest, I discarded modded units...because everyone writes "modified by qualified personel" or "modified by the best tech guy in the World" but they don't write WHO the hell is that people who modified that stuff....and they sell at "too low" prices.
So, basically, I do not trust them or, at least, I'm not sure about what I'm buying.

I decided for a 100% stock unit and I've been lucky enough to find one brand new, with just that small issue with front/rear input you already know and that I easily solved with the help of our good MJMP and some other luck.
The seller was honest and I understood that from 2 things:

1) he answered quickly to my first email
2) we spoke by phone about everything

So, if it's possible, have a phone call with a seller: it's more easy to understand if you can trust him/her or not.

Man that's great information and advice Bro - it took me 5 MP-1s to get the right one and had I not been on this forum I would still be burned, the last one is still due to arrive tonight.

And one thing I will add to what you have said is this; after speaking to all but one of the sellers I realized that they did not have a clue about the ADA MP-1!! They were in innocent in the fact that there are not many of us are playing these and in my case, none really knew how the unit was supposed to work or sound!

So I cherish our Brotherhood on here Folks!  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Man that's great information and advice Bro - it took me 5 MP-1s to get the right one and had I not been on this forum I would still be burned, the last one is still due to arrive tonight.

And one thing I will add to what you have said is this; after speaking to all but one of the sellers I realized that they did not have a clue about the ADA MP-1!! They were in innocent in the fact that there are not many of us are playing these and in my case, none really knew how the unit was supposed to work or sound!

So I cherish our Brotherhood on here Folks!  :thumb-up:

There are additional considerations we could do, bro.

Sometimes people is honest and other times people is not.
You cannot ever be 100% sure.

Sometimes people who sells stuff is not aware about what they are selling: they're (re)sellers, not users.
We also sell stuff, but we're users first.
And it's different.

When I sell something, I know everything of that item.
You can ask me everything you want and I will always answer.

When I started looking for a MP-1, can you imagine how many people was not able to answer the simple question "what's firmware version"?
It's not so difficult to answer, even if you don't know it: you only have to power up the unit.  :facepalm:
But you must be an user to know this little secret. ^^

Well, I discarded MP-1s sold by people like that.
If they do not even power up the stuff they sell...how the hell can they know if it works fine or has issues or how it works?
They buy, they sell and that's it.
Naaaaaaaaaaaah.

Usually I also discard shops that act in that way.
I found an used MP-1 in a shop near here...200 euros...they said it was in perfect conditions.
Perfect conditions = scratchy output level pot, very noisy unit, scratches everywhere, factory reset not performed, probably dead battery...and who knows what else.
I left it in the shop.

Then, as I wrote, I also discarded modified stuff...for many reasons:

1) the seller could have bought the unit modified from someone else with bad skills
2) the seller could have modified the unit himself with bad skills
3) the seller could be not aware about modifications and/or what they do
4) the seller could be not honest

There's a modified MP-1 near here...and I also contacted the seller many times, just to know.
He always answered after days and days.
At the end I gave up and bought another one (lucky me) and he wrote back too late (for him).

Well, when I bought my old 1.38 from a friend...it was my first rack preamp...it was more then 20 years ago...I wasn't aware about a lot of stuff...
Today, after all these years, I suspect that MP-1 had some issues, as I wrote...but I also suspect that a friend wouldn't have fooled me and probably he wasn't aware about those issues as many other people at that time.
We had not The Depot and people like these guys!
Anyway, he used that MP-1 for long time and I used it for long time after him.
Maybe it could have sounded better, but it didn't sound crappy at all...just a matter of gain and maybe of input, as today we know very well.
I have that MP-1 no more but I still have that friend.  :D

We're also speaking about "old" stuff.
If you buy an original 1959 Marshall SLP...well...I bet it would have issues and you would take it to a good tech guy.
Of course, the value of a 1959 SLP is different and would worth the risk...

Very often, after being a non-expert guy in the past, today I ask myself how much fun is to still buy this stuff.
The answer is that's a lot of fun.
I just teached myself to deal with people and attempt to recognize a fooler.
I've to say that I did not meet too many crooks in these years of selling and buying guitar stuff, but I recognized some of them just in time.  :banana:

Luckily, if I understood right, you had your money back for those 4 "broken" MP-1s and you sent them back.
That's the good thing.

Now you found a keeper and this is the 2nd good thing.

Let us know about the last incoming MP-1!!!  :headbanger:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Luckily, if I understood right, you had your money back for those 4 "broken" MP-1s and you sent them back.
That's the good thing.

Now you found a keeper and this is the 2nd good thing.

Let us know about the last incoming MP-1!!!  :headbanger:

Hey that was a good read my friend! Yeah it has been a learning experience for sure!

And yes I am very lucky I got all the money back on these and I'm extremely happy with my Monster MP-1!  :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up