ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Amps - ( I hope this is the right spot for this )  (Read 11326 times)

GuitarBuilder

I really like the idea of getting the same sound from the amp as I would by direct recording the ADA, so for me it's a "colorless" flat response system that works - a 1000W Crown power amp into 3-way PA speakers.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Hey Gb, but with such a system you need some kind of speaker emulation to get a good sound?

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

Well Folks this week I purchased the Mesa Boogie Stereo 2:50 power amp as a companion to my new ADA MP-1 rig, which everything should be here this week, I'll post pics when everything is setup and running.
 I chose that power amp mainly because of the being able to switch the power tubes from EL34's to 6L6s and find my new tone and voicing.

I did not know that you could switch tubes from EL34 to 6L6 in the 2:50. This sparked my interest, because I love both EL34 and 6L6 tone. Is it possible to use 6L6 on one side, and EL34 on the other?

Yeah that was a big deal for me, also why I originally chose the Carvin  TS100 but I missed that auction and found a mint condition Mesa 2:50 through Guitar Center and snagged it!
 I have been using EL34 amps for the last two years and before I ran the Peavey 5150 with 6L6s for about 8 years. Each have their voicing  - and attitude at high volumes. So now that I'm returning to the MP-1 I will have to hear what suites my needs for this new rack setup.

I have always loved playing with the band at crazy volumes ( which has taken a toll on my hearing ) and my drummer is 6'2" at 320 and a power lifter. While he has great finesse and feel he hits harder than anyone I have ever played with and I get buried in my own band when he gets excited LOL! We are going to be playing places that do not have their own P.A. and we are all instrumental so serious power is what I need and the solid state route has me a little concerned. So going the tube route will be my first step in this process then go from there. will keep you all posted  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

$375 for a TS100!? No wonder it went quick

Yes, the T100s did weigh more than a 2001 VW GTi VR6. I can confirm this. My back can confirm this. Sounded awesome though. If I could just leave it somewhere ...that'd be great. My Boogie DC-5 combo was about as heavy, and had that characteristic dark Me$a sound...much like their other amps. I liked it...for a good long time. Now, I'm running a Marshall SS combo which is much brighter. Well, I was, until I gave it to my nephew to use until he gets his back from music school.

Re: Power tubes
I was farting around with an amp at GC one day...Egnator? It was able to switch from EL34s to 6L6s, or blend them with a knob. Fun experiment. I don't remember why, but I do remember liking the 6L6 sound better. Of course, that's with THAT amp, who knows what an MP-1 would sound like through it.  :dunno:  I'll be interested to hear what you think when you get the amp.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

$375 for a TS100!? No wonder it went quick

Yes, the T100s did weigh more than a 2001 VW GTi VR6. I can confirm this. My back can confirm this. Sounded awesome though. If I could just leave it somewhere ...that'd be great. My Boogie DC-5 combo was about as heavy, and had that characteristic dark Me$a sound...much like their other amps. I liked it...for a good long time. Now, I'm running a Marshall SS combo which is much brighter. Well, I was, until I gave it to my nephew to use until he gets his back from music school.

Re: Power tubes
I was farting around with an amp at GC one day...Egnator? It was able to switch from EL34s to 6L6s, or blend them with a knob. Fun experiment. I don't remember why, but I do remember liking the 6L6 sound better. Of course, that's with THAT amp, who knows what an MP-1 would sound like through it.  :dunno:  I'll be interested to hear what you think when you get the amp.

Yeah Dante that was on Reverb last week and it was in mint condition!!! I contacted the guy and he still has a Fractal for sale
 ( no interest to me ) and is a really nice guy. But I spent the extra money ( double actually ) and went with the Mesa.

And yes I will report to everyone how this setup sounds as soon as I get this new rig put together. SO many times I have a great living room/bedroom/recording sound that just got buried when I played with the band or live. That happened back in 91' with the first system I got to play through ( not mine but a friend let me join him on stage ) and he was using a Crown power amp with his MP-1 and a TC Electronics 2290. It was loud but still that rig got buried under the bass player and the other guitar rig, which was a Marshall JCM 800 which seemed to kill EVERYTHING in that club!!!  So that got me thinking I needed to go tube with my rig which I did and got the Boogie 50/50 then later the 2:90.

So I'm very curious how things will be and sound 26 years later - but at least I've come back home to the ADA!!!  :headbanger:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rADAr

You can run the Carvin TS100 with EL34s on one side and 6l6s in the other, Jerrod the bobo was into this idea.. but why ??

In my case, the reason for wanting EL34's on one side and 6L6 on the other is that I am a two preamp setup in mono. The 6L6 side for my Mesa Triaxis preamp, and the EL34 side for the MP-1.
I did not know that the Carvin TS-100 can have 6L6 on one channel and EL34 on the other. As an owner of the older version of this poweramp (the Carvin T-100) I am wondering if it's possible on this model too?
ADA MP-1 2.01 Stock
ADA MP-1 1.38 w/MRDT+2.01 upgrade

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey rADAr, I'm not familiar with the previous carvin. I bought a TS100 when my B200s was playing up.  I know the Australian importer and he did me a really good price (IIRC $600 AUD and they were around $1k AUD retail).  This one came with 6L6s, given a choice I would have picked EL34s but I've found it a great amp with my MP-2 live rig.  One of our members wanted to do the different tubes on each channel thing and it supports that if you want but IIRC, you then can't use it in bridged mono mode. For what it is (ie a 50w p/ch tube amp), it's significantly lighter than some others (though still heavy, mine has it's own 2 RU rack and I call it the brick LoL.  Carvin also spruke that you can use it to drive studio monitors as it's so clean and transparent (as they also do with DCM200L).  I haven't tried that application with it but it sure does a good job in a guitar rig  :thumb-up: .

You are missing out by not running the MP-1 in stereo, makes a huge difference  >:D :thumb-up: .  Hey you could sell the Triaxis and either buy half of California or a MP-2 and have lots of change (and a much better sound).

Sorry  :facepalm: , not meaning to poo poo the triaxis, if you like the "boogie" sound, all power to you.  It will also sound better in stereo  :metal:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rADAr

Thanks for the input, rnolan :)

Believe me, I'm a stereo guy at heart, but in a live setting I have come to the conclusion that mono is the way to go. As for the choice of the Mesa TriAxis, I love the Petrucci sound - that's what made me buy it. And it requires 6L6's to sound the best. My only gripe with the Tri is how to have it serviced - I live in Norway, and to ship it to the US and back will probably cost me about half of California. It's too advanced for a local tech to look at it, so this might be what makes me sell it, eventually - if it starts acting up. Not better off switching to an MP-2 in that regard either....
ADA MP-1 2.01 Stock

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Hey radar, a good tech should be able to service it. It's not an easy preamp to work on but on the other hand it's not rocket science.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

Hey rADAr,

the German/EU Mesa Distributor (Meinl) has a qualified service tech, Mr Reinhold Stieglitz. He's been working/servicing MBs since the late 80s/early 90s and has done some maintenance on my old Triaxis before. He defo knows that preamp. Shipping to Germany won't break the bank ;-)
Here's his contact data: reinhold.stieglitz@meinl.de ; you can also call him direct: +49 9161 788-181

I can highly recommend him when it comes to more sophisticated work like on the Trix

SC

rADAr

Thanks a lot for the info on the German Mesa service Tech, SC :banana-skipping-rope-smiley-e

I just read on Mesa's home page that they are not making the TriAxis anymore... Wondering if it would be wise to sell it before it gets too old, because of future lack of spare parts and so on..?
ADA MP-1 2.01 Stock

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

I wouldn't be to worried about the parts for the triaxis, they don't have any special ic's and the CPU is a Z80 like the MP-1 has. You can still buy these new.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

I wouldn't be to worried about the parts for the triaxis, they don't have any special ic's and the CPU is a Z80 like the MP-1 has. You can still buy these new.
+1
All parts are still readily available. You cannot get the TX4 boards (Ld1 Red Recto) anymore, but if yours is a TX4 equipped Trix the parts on that board are also still available.

rADAr

Thanks a lot for your valuable knowledge, MJMP and SC  :) I love the sound of the Tri, but the thought about lacking support/spare parts has bugged me. A little more at ease now!
ADA MP-1 2.01 Stock
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up