ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry if this been over discussed Folks  (Read 3614 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter

I just wasn't able to find this in the search so I apologize in advance Folks,
 Tone wise, is there any audible difference between a 1.38 version MP-1 and the 2.01  ( not sure if there was a 2.0 ) ?
 And I remember something about the rear input being able to be used as second guitar input in the later but don't remember anything  else about the newer version. Curious what everyone's thoughts are on this?  :)

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: Sorry if this been over discussed Folks
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

No change in actual Tone between those versions of eproms.  The main differences are that you do get more Factory Presets though, and perhaps less latency between patch changes.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi DJC,

In regards to the inputs on the MP-1, you can use only one at a time, IIRC. I think the rear is disconnected when you plug in the front input.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, the rear input of the V1 (line/inst lv switch on top) MP1s' is line level and balanced. There is a mod that makes it guitar lv. I think the later EPROMs also had a bit more midi functionality ?

Sonically the biggest improvement to a MP1 (apart from tube choice) IMO is the MDRT.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

OK great info Folks!

So the rear input is the same as the front on the 2.01? Meaning, back in the day with both of my ADAs ( 1.38 ) I "HAD" to plug my guitar into the front instead of the rear because the input was very weak. I wanted to use the rear inputs because I was always afraid of the guitar cable breaking off. With the 2.01 I'm hoping to be able to use rear input as my main guitar input -

And someone tell me about the MDRT, don't know about that yet -  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, the later EPROM (v2.01) doesn't affect the rear input but I think later MP1s had the rear input at guitar level as no one was really using the rear line level input .  V1 MP1s (the very early ones) have a switch on top to change the main outs from line to inst level so you could either plug it into a power amp (line level) or into a guitar amp input (inst level).  They also have the rear line level balanced input (which is why it seemed week to you as it is expecting line level (~1volt) not guitar/inst level (millivolts)).  The mod (see MJMPs site http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm) replaces the front and rear jack sockets and changes the wiring a little bit so both front and rear inputs are inst (guit) level. I don't think you need to do this on later units ?  It's also a good mod to do if the front input jack (which takes all the ware and tare) gets dodgy or if the way you patch your rack (eg with rack tuner before MP1) is easier/better plugging from the back.

The MDRT (again see explanation on MJMPs site) is a re-designed transformer (it's actually 2 transformers together) suitable for the MP1 and MB1.  It can accept 120v or 240v (but needs to be wired appropriately for one voltage or the other, though it can have a voltage selector switch if you are changing continents often).  The original MP1 transformer wasn't as good as it could have been so along the way, Machinator and some others came up with a better design.  MJMP gets a batch of them made from time to time.  My mate MikeB put one in his MP1, wow what a difference, really opens up the MP1, like lifting a bit of boxy fog.  I have them in both my MB1s and will put them into my recently acquired 2 MP1s soon.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Wow as always great information rnolan - much appreciated my friend!! :thumb-up:

Everyday I can't wait to get on here and find new things you guys are sharing with me - you Folks are AWESOME!!  :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

So V1 vs V2 mp-1's, quick compare.

The V2 used different input jacks and the rear in was changed to instrument level.
Level 2 software with midi sysex (for backups and control with a pc)
They got rid of the topswitch
Tone section opamp was changed from a LF347 to a TL074
NMI on the cpu was changed (happend on the V1 C or D rev)
Ground plane was changed (they put a resistor of 10 ohm between the earth (chassis) and ground connection)
Pages: [1]   Go Up