ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tubes Advice  (Read 115138 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: New Tubes Advice
« Reply #75 on: Time Format »

Hey Rgerry, push them in as far as they go, better contact with socket.  There are ways of testing blown tubes but needs a tube tester.  But if it works, it works, i.e.  you can swap them around and work out if they are blown.  Through in a pair of new Mullard long plates, if they don't cook for you I'll be surprised (and as I've said before, I'll buy them from you if you don't like them  :thumb-up: ).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

George I.

« Reply #76 on: Time Format »

too round sounding to MY ears, and not spikey enough in the upper registers (i find my ears want those higher high later in life! LOL ).  i like an edgier, crunchier distortion...

Hey George, given your preferences, I think you may like the long-plate Sovtek 12AX7-LPS.

~ Rick

thanks man!

im looking for a more edgy, spikey paul gilbert-ish type distortion. i will def give the LPS a spin...i have a literal SHIT TON of 12XXX preamp tubes so once i have a chance i will be rolling tubes in my MP1.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #77 on: Time Format »

Hey Rgerry, push them in as far as they go, better contact with socket.  There are ways of testing blown tubes but needs a tube tester.  But if it works, it works, i.e.  you can swap them around and work out if they are blown.  Through in a pair of new Mullard long plates, if they don't cook for you I'll be surprised (and as I've said before, I'll buy them from you if you don't like them  :thumb-up: ).

ok man tested them again, the jj's went back in, no weird wirring sound this time.  But not a lot of gain!!  I changed one out in the 2nd slot for the EHX.  Rubbish!!!  I noticed as well the EHX did not glow at all were as the jj in slot one did glow.

I swapped the EHX out for the cheap chinese tube I got with the unit.  Better sound for sure, bit more gain.  Then I took the JJ out of the first slot and put back in the other chinese leaving the two chinese in both slots.  Sounded a bit better again.

I'm leaving the chinese tubes in, there is definitley more gain (not tonnes but enough to do in the mean time).  Both lit up as well, I had the cover off to check.

I will have to sell on my jjs I guess and EHX
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #78 on: Time Format »

Did you try to adjust T2 for more gain?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #79 on: Time Format »

is this the trim pot?  Beside the switch for line/instrument level switching?  Haven't looked at it at all.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #80 on: Time Format »

Hey RGerry, theres a trim pot (as in circuit board mounted variable resistor, adjust with small screw driver) in each MP1 gain stage (not sure where they live on the board but they will be near the (or on the tube board ?)).  MJMP/others will fill us in (or check the schematics).  These (sot of) control gain levels in the in the V1 and V2 circuits (as does OD1 and OD2 levels so they work together). I think this is what MJMP is referring to.  There's another post where MJMP explains exactly what they do. Changing these trim pots will change the amount of gain in either the V1 or V2 circuits so you can match up the tube gain to taste (I assume that's what they are for ?). Never had to touch them myself.  So from MJMPs post, my take is he's suggesting you crank up the T2 trim pot (open top, locate T2, adjust with small screw driver) to get some more gain in the V2 circuit (but now I'm assuming T2 is in the V2 circuit, it may be in the V1 circuit ? but whatever, will add gain by turning up).

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #81 on: Time Format »

T2 will give you more OD1 gain.There's a trimpot layout pic somewhere on the forum,just do a search for it.

trader144

« Reply #82 on: Time Format »

So 2nd unmatched mullard 12ax7 long plate arrived and I got a chance to test it out.

Before I put in the 2nd mullard, I had 1 mullard in V1 and the original Chinese tube (which is awesome) MP-1 in V2.
In V1, I had intense color and a very fat tone from the Mullard and I enjoyed using El Chiguete's settings (putting V2 close to zero).
Basically I could get the fat sound and then add more distortion with V2 when I wanted it. Really, really nice.

So, in goes the 2nd mullard in V2.
Day 1: Might be too much of a good thing. Plenty of distortion and it is very British but far beyond a Beatles British but more like a thick Marshally British. It takes articulation to an extremely higher level....you have such HD sound it is like hearing Angus' vibrato scraping the frets on that Gibson SG type of articulation--not something you hear in today's amps. And if you make a mistake, you guitar will scream it out. It is hard to explain in a convincing manner, how much of your playing it projects....I heard Rnolan say it was HD and I thought "sure, maybe"....but it is a lot for me and I am big into articulation. Huge difference between tubes.

With 2 mullards, I did not get very good sound at  El Chiguete's settings. Not sure why, maybe the Mullards do not work well at low levels?
Also, with 2 mullards, the color changed to where it seemed like V1 and V2 were competing for who will color the sound the most.

I will keep trying it out but my first thought is that I might prefer the Mullard in V1, an original in V2, and El Chiquete's settings. Reason is I get the thick sound, Mullard distortion, and basically  clean to overdrive pedal from V2 with the Chinese tube.
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #83 on: Time Format »

Hey David, more 3D than HD lol, but hard to describe until you hear it.  The way they track your playing is amazing, every little nuance comes through.  Sounds like Mullard in V1 and Chinese tube in V2 is the go for you  :thumb-up: .  The original Chinese tubes the MP1/2 came with are great tubes and lasted for years, much longer than expected.
I believe Angus's guitar is a Les Paul Jnr but they look exactly like an SG.  I assume they custom make them for him these days, and I've seen the Angus model in shops.
Anyway glad you like the Mullard, as you say they really suit an articulate player.
Cheers Richard

El Chiguete

« Reply #84 on: Time Format »

Wow my crazy idea is liked by people!!!!!!!!!! jeje. When I get the chance I think I will buy 2 Mullars and try them out too (maybe I will get the same results as you trader144). But remember that the idea of my settings on the OD1 and OD2 is that you set OD2 to the maximun gain that you want to create (think of like the top shelf/ceiling of overdrive/distortion that you can have) and then use OD1 to achieve that maximun gain when you have it set high or to clean it up when you have it low...

For example: if I want an old AC/DC sound I would probably use (deppending on how high the pickups are on your guitar) a OD2 set around 4.0 and then set a lower OD1 for rhythms and a high OD1 to get a good drive and sustain for the solos. And if I want a higher NWOBHM or higher gain tones I set the OD2 like at 8.0 and then do the same as before on OD1.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #85 on: Time Format »

Hey El, nothing wrong with crazy ideas, particularly if they work  :thumb-up: It's good that your inventive and like to experiment (and share !!!), it's also a good way to learn how it all hangs together, there are many variables and also everyone's taste / playing etc is different. I haven't tried the Mullard short plates yet, from all reports they are very good so I want to hear how they go compared to the long plates (which I love), but then they really suit my playing style.
So thanks for you "crazy" contributions  :wave: :whoohoo!: , keen to know what you think of the Mullards (long or short plate) when/if you get some.

MikeB

« Reply #86 on: Time Format »

Since I blew one of my (well, rnolan's) Boogie STRs and have a brand new tube board on the way from Belgium, I thought I better get around to buying a new tube. So I have ordered a Mullard short plate to go with the on remaining good STR.  I will have hours of fun trying it in both slots and playing around with EC's crazy ideas.  Can't wait to get stuck in.   :whoohoo!:
This is to go in my stock mp-1
I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #87 on: Time Format »

Hey Mike, from what David was saying using the Mullard in V1 and Chinese tube in V2, I started thinking of a set up with STR in V2, so you get the lovely 3D of the Mullard in V1 but maybe preserve the fantastic feedback of the STR ? Cool so we (you and I) get to check out the short plates  >:D

trader144

« Reply #88 on: Time Format »

I ran across a software program called Bias by positive grid.
Check out their YouTube videos.

What a great education in how different amp components change the sound.
Less expensive than 1 new tube.

Not suggesting to use it live but more about narrowing down the sound components before you spend money on them and end up with unused inventory.

David

Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #89 on: Time Format »

I ran across a software program called Bias by positive grid.
Check out their YouTube videos.

What a great education in how different amp components change the sound.
Less expensive than 1 new tube.

Not suggesting to use it live but more about narrowing down the sound components before you spend money on them and end up with unused inventory.

David

http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=636.0

http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=674.0

8)

« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up