ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the Difference Between Hi and Lo input jacks on some amps?  (Read 22040 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

The old Marshall 4 input heads have 2 channels, each with their own volume controls. One side is the bright channel, the other one is the normal channel. Each channel has 2 inputs with one low and one high sensitivity (they differ 6db from each other). And the preamp circuit changed a bit over the early years.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Richard,

The model isn't printed on the back of the chassis? That's a bit strange for Marshall.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

The old Marshall 4 input heads have 2 channels, each with their own volume controls. One side is the bright channel, the other one is the normal channel. Each channel has 2 inputs with one low and one high sensitivity (they differ 6db from each other). And the preamp circuit changed a bit over the early years.

Yes, the Super Lead 100 I had was like that, Two jacks were marked with "I" and the other two "II" and both were guitar inputs. I didn't think there was a bass input on that amp.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Yes normally it should say,  super lead, bass or PA on the back. Also the serial nr states what it is.

http://www.superiormusic.com/page024.html

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Erm.. are you sure about the two EL84's?
  :facepalm: Fixed

On the back of the chassis mine has a piece of dynotape label that says Lead.  I never knew the bottom jacks were -6db, I thought they were the same.  I've never tried plugging into the bottom jacks, I just ran a short patch lead from the bottom jack of input I to the top jack of input II and plug signal into the top input I jack.  The bright (input I) channel is very bright.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Yes, I thought input I was very bright also, and with a Strat in the bridge pickup, it just wasn't meaty enough to cut through.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up