ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 Stock Gain Modded new tube help  (Read 3159 times)

Dna^Yay

MP1 Stock Gain Modded new tube help
« on: Time Format »

Hey all

So recently had my MP1 modded by MJMP (thanks again dude  :) ), and was looking into getting some new tubes for it. My original plan was to get 5 matched tubes as i would be using 3 for my ENGL 930/60 poweramp, (poweramp tubes i shall get onto later). Been browsing online and i liked the look of the Genelex gold lions 12ax7 , rnolan has suggested i get some mullard cv4004 12ax7`s.

Now i have been browsing through the depot to get an idea of what tubes i could get, most of you will have tons more experience than me so i wanted to hear what everyones advice is on tubes for a stock gain modded MP1.

Also there is the factor of do i
A. get 5 of the same brand tube matched for my MP1 and ENGL power amp or
B. get 2 for my MP1 and 3 of another brand for my ENGL
 :dunno:

I bought some cheap 12AU7`s off ebay once and mixed them with the Sovtek 12ax7s i already have inside it, that is about the extent of my tube cocktail skills go.

Onto the power amp, i have included the manual for all to see. After discussing with Eddy at Eurotubes, my options for power tubes are 6L6GC (which i already have installed) 5881 or KT66`s. Now my amp can either be ran one side at a time or in stereo, which rnolan has been helping me set up. So what i was thinking is buying 4 power amp tubes together all matched but have say 2x 6L6GCs one side and 2x KT66s the other side so i technically have 2 different amp tones instead of just having both sides sounding exactly the same.

Aslong as they are biased correctly is this a good thing to do? Many of you will already be running the MP1 in stereo and have extensive knowledge on various setups and it would be great to get some help from all you guys out there!

:))

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: MP1 Stock Gain Modded new tube help
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

No problem glad i could help out :thumb-up:

Now you can mix power tubes the way you want it,it seems there's a bias pot for the left and right side.

Elverrae

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Your ideas are so good clean too. I like your very last words.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Dna^Yay, Probably what you want is matched output tubes in your power amp (all the same, you want clean and transparent with ADA pre amps, I'd go with 6L6s unless it can use EL34/6CA7s, you just need clean transparent power from your power amp), while you can have different tubes on L/R channels I wouldn't (unless you have a good reason, and I can't think of one (although I'll entertain ideas, and each to their own)).  Keep it simple unless you have a good reason for complicating it.
For MP1 tubes, JJs are good but Mullard long plates will add a new 3D dimension to your tone (but if you like beautiful feedback and a tight tone use the JJs e.g. Boogie STRs, Rubys etc).  The other tubes in your power amp (buffer and phase splitter which are typically 12 A?? i.e. input tubes), you'd want the phase splitters to be matched triodes (each gain stage matched) and matched pairs (matched output) and the buffer tubes to be matched pairs (matched output).  Mullards will work well (long or short plate), but other clean tubes will also be fine in the power amp.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up