ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone tried a 12AT7 tube?  (Read 3601 times)

kfowler8

Anyone tried a 12AT7 tube?
« on: Time Format »

I was inside my MP-1 last night and pulled the tubes to do some work. I noticed that one was a 12AT7. I've had this unit for about a month so I just assumed they were both 12AX7s. Interesting in that I thought mine didn't sound like it had as much gain as I expected.

I run a 12AX7 in V1 and a 12AX7 in V2 of my Picovalve. The combination works great for that amp but not really what I was going for in my MP-1.

Curious if anyone uses this combination or have tried it before.

RobbHell

Re: Anyone tried a 12AT7 tube?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Personally I'm a Gain head like most. The MP1 has always needed a bit more gain in my opinion so I have always run Hot 12AX7 in V1,V2 and a softer tube for V3 on the 3TM. A 12AU7 has about has the gain of a 12AX7.so your ears aren't deceiving you there is less gain. That setup could work great for blues and classic rock guys that want to tame the gain a bit. They might be a tad quieter. Different tubes for different apps and colors.
You should hear 3 high gain EH tubes in the 3TM. They have a different characteristic to them then the JJ's. Reminds me of Krank and 5150 edgy gain where as the JJ are smoother  like in a Peavey JSX.

RobbHell

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I've used 12AT7 and 12AU7 as P.I tubes to clean up the Engl. For some reason a lot of amps some with a 12AX7 P.I tube.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

So much for making a separate dedicated Tube section on the board LOL. As Rob says it sounds like whoever had it previously wanted an earlier blues/rock tone/gain.  If you've ever played through a 60's/70's HiWatt or Vox etc, they were pretty clean amps and hard to get the kind of distortion many of us ADAers like  >:D . Back then the answer was a fuzz pedal.
ADA MP1/2s left the factory with 2 high gain low noise Chinese 12AX7s, great tubes BTW, probably custom runs for ADA. Mine both MP1 and 2 lasted years. Chatting to my audiophile tube mad mate, hey doesn't like 12AT7s, so you'd go with 12AU7s if you want to clean up/cut back gain.  Remembering tubes is a very subjective area...
My advice (for what it's worth), put in a nice new pair of Mullard reissue short plates (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html), I'll be surprised if they don't make you very happy  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kawai2g4b

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The one time I used a 12AT7 was when I plunked one into my old Berhinger Vintage Tube Monster distortion pedal.  It calmed what was already a ridiculously gainy pedal and gave it some clarity.  That was my go to thrash distortion until I stumbled upon my MP-1.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up