ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1: Using a Mixer instead of the loop or direct out  (Read 3858 times)

Luke Gibson

Hello All, my name is Luke and this is my first post. I'm getting my old MP-1 out of storage and putting together a new rack rig.  My issue is I don't want to use the MP-1 loop or go direct out/into my Intelifex (also have an old  Quadraverb)   Is there a rack mixer or line mixer that is preferred? Also any advise how best to use and hook it up would be most appreciative.  The rig now consists of a v2.01 MP-1, Rocktron Intelifex, BBE 422, and VHT 2/50/2 Power Amp.  Thanks in advance!  :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Luke, welcome to the depot  :wave:
I run my rig they way you're thinking to with a small mixer (as you'd run a PA). This topic (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=117.0) details my setup and also how a few other connect their stuff together.
I've not found a small (e.g. 1 RU or 2 RU) rack mixer that's suitable (enough (post fader) effects sends), I've designed the front face layout of what would be good (6 effects sends), but need to build it (a project to get into sometime).
What you need is about 8 line input channels with as many post fader effects (aux) sends as you can (4 sends would work well).  I have an old Yamaha AM802 which works well, I've used it ever since I got MP1 years ago and then MP2 also many years ago.  It's 8 in with 3 effects sends so works well for 1 stereo effect (I have Quadverb) and one mono in/stereo out effect (I have IPS33 Hamoniser, 1 in 2 out).  So MP2 into 2 channels (pan L/R) Quadverb outs to 2 channels (pan L/R) IPS outs to 2 channels (pan L/R).
I use heavy duty velcro to hold the mixer in the bottom of my rack.
There are some other patching ideas using an ART Splitmix and a bunch of insert leads (see other post where we did this with MikeBs MP1 and TC Gmaj).  Not as good/versatile as with a small mixer but works.
Chaining through the Intelifex will be ok though as it apparently has a true analogue pass through so doesn't wreck (digitise) your MP1s dry analogue signal (unlike the TC which A/Ds everything at the inputs)
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Luke Gibson

Thank you for the information Richard, it is most appreciated!  Off the board MarshallJMP has helped me immensely with replacing broken output jacks and parts and getting my MP-1 back in working order.  Public Thank You to Phillipe!  I'm thinking seriously about installing the MDRT transformer and maybe noise mod, can you describe the benefits of installing the MDTR. how will it effect the tone of my MP-1?   

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Luke, happy to help.  I've not used the MDRT (I now use MP2), I'm just going off MJMPs comments  :bow: ( from his site "The MDRT is a 24VA transformer which can deliver 12.6V to the heaters. The high voltage has gone up to 240Vdc / 8mA. The original is only a 12VA transformer,only deliver between 8 and 9 V to the heaters and the high voltage is 190Vdc / 4mA. So the MDRT will enhance the sound,better low end,less noise and the sound will sound less compressed."), if I still had a MP1, I'd be putting a MDRT in it... :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Luke Gibson

Thanks Again!  Looks like I'll be ordering a MDRT in the future.... 

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

!  Off the board MarshallJMP has helped me immensely with replacing broken output jacks and parts and getting my MP-1 back in working order.  Public Thank You to Phillipe! 

No problem glad i could help out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up