ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 First Impressions  (Read 6767 times)

kfowler8

MP-1 First Impressions
« on: Time Format »

Hey guys,

I finally got a chance to play with my new MP-1 last night and thought I'd share my initial impressions. For some background, I remember these being all the rage in the late 80s / early 90s. I always wanted one but never could afford one. Fast forward 20+ years and I got into a discussion with a friend who has one. I was really impressed with his tone. So I found one on Ebay for $150. It's pretty stock except for the battery mod which is nice. It's version 2.01(?). I haven't played a rack unit since the late 90s. Last one I had was a GSP 2101. All the amps I have now are classic tubes.

So, I ran the MP-1 into my Focusrite interface and then to my studio monitors. I wanted to try and get a colorless sample. I only had time to run through the presets without any editing.

What I liked: I really liked the cleans. I was actually surprised at how good they sound. Especially the Variety of the types of cleans. I flipped my PRS into #4 position and it sounded stellar. I can also certainly see the flexibility with the unit. I play at church about once a month. We have a pretty rockin contemporary service. I can see where this flexibility would really be useful.

What I didn't like: The distortion! Yuck. It's the thin buzz saw sound I remember 90s solid state sounded like. No bottom end. I found some presets that were tolerable but nothing inspiring.

But there's hope: I've read where many people complain about the MP-1's Eq and most either use an external EQ or Sonic Maximizer. So I used one of my VST plugins to add an Eq. Now we're talking. Definitely helps in shaping the sound to a more desirable tone. I can hear the potential. I didn't get a whole lot of time to experiment but I see the possibilities.

So in the end I like it. I knew getting into this I was going to need some other rack items to compliment it. It'll be fun to put together. I also want to look into some of the mods listed here. 

RandallRG

Re: MP-1 First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

As far as your Distortion goes can you post what you had 0D1 & OD2 Etc at? Thanks Dude :metal:
« Last Edit: Time Format by RandallRG »

kfowler8

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

As far as your Distortion goes can you post what you had 0D1 & OD2 Etc at? Thanks Dude :metal:

I was just running through the stock presets. Not sure what they were. I need to take one just from scratch and start there.

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

So, I ran the MP-1 into my Focusrite interface and then to my studio monitors. I wanted to try and get a colorless sample. I only had time to run through the presets without any editing....

What I didn't like: The distortion! Yuck. It's the thin buzz saw sound I remember 90s solid state sounded like. No bottom end. I found some presets that were tolerable but nothing inspiring.

There's your problem, just like any other preamp if you run it straight to monitors it will suck because it doesn't have cabinet simulation. So try it out on the loop of one of your amp and it will be very different!  :metal:
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

kfowler8

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

So, I ran the MP-1 into my Focusrite interface and then to my studio monitors. I wanted to try and get a colorless sample. I only had time to run through the presets without any editing....

There's your problem, just like any other preamp if you run it straight to monitors it will suck because it doesn't have cabinet simulation. So try it out on the loop of one of your amp and it will be very different!  :metal:

Good point. I did that the first time I hooked it but it was through my Marshall cab with G12T-75s which I absolutely loath. I've got a really nice Scumback I need to try it through that should give me a better representation.

BTW, I fooled around with editing some of the patches last night. I'm getting a much better sound now.

kfowler8

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

OK, as you guys suggested I hooked the MP-1 up to the return loop of my Mesa DC-5 Combo. It's 6L6s running into a open back Scumback M75. WOW!!! Oh hell yeah!!! Now we're talking. So much better. I'm really excited now. It's got plenty of gain for what I need.

Next step is to use the same Scumback and run some other amps through it. I've got a Marshall JCM 900 SL-X with EL34s, and a Peavey Classic 30 with EL84s. All I need is a solid state amp to try and I'll get a good idea of what I want for a power amp.
Lots of fun!!

El Chiguete

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

+1000 on the Scumbacks! a friend of mine made a cab with them and they sound awesome! since then I want them too!!!!!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Best way to run MP1/2 is into a nice clean transparent stereo power amp (e.g. ADA B200s, Carvin TS100 (all tube so heavy) etc) and 2 cabs (or stereo cab), turn the chorus depth to 100 and rate to 0 (if your not using the chorus in the patch).  There's some good posts for different ways of connecting it all and combing effects etc.  You can also put the ADA GCS2/3 cab sim in the MP1 loop for direct recording/desk input as outputs are then cab simmed.  You also go MP1 > GCS2/3 but then it's mono so works better in the loop.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I'll second the use of the ADA GCS-2 or 3.  Or for that matter, the ADA Microcab rack if you can find it on ebay... they go for pretty cheap these days.  I had the MP-1 and a Microcab and LOVED it for direct recording.  I have the ADA GCS-2 and it is very similar to the Microcab from what I remember.
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

kfowler8

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Best way to run MP1/2 is into a nice clean transparent stereo power amp (e.g. ADA B200s, Carvin TS100 (all tube so heavy) etc) and 2 cabs (or stereo cab), turn the chorus depth to 100 and rate to 0 (if your not using the chorus in the patch).  There's some good posts for different ways of connecting it all and combing effects etc.  You can also put the ADA GCS2/3 cab sim in the MP1 loop for direct recording/desk input as outputs are then cab simmed.  You also go MP1 > GCS2/3 but then it's mono so works better in the loop.

That's what I'm looking at now is trying to find a power amp. I'd prefer a 1U but it's not critical. I've heard a lot of good things about the Rocktron Velocity 300. It's going to probably end up being what I find that's a good deal.

For recording, it's not a big issue as I built one of these earlier in the year. It's based off the Rivera Silent Sister. It's loaded with a 12" Scumback M75 100 watt. It works fantastic.

El Chiguete

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

You can also put the ADA GCS2/3 cab sim in the MP1 loop for direct recording/desk input as outputs are then cab simmed.

I'll second the use of the ADA GCS-2 or 3.

So a quick questions, is you use a GCS-2/3 in the loop or after your MP1/2, for a live situation you go to the PA or you carry around power speakers or any other FRFR cabinet?

Also, the ¨tone suck¨ issue that many complain of the MP-1/2 loop is not a problem here?

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

So a quick questions, is you use a GCS-2/3 in the loop or after your MP1/2, for a live situation you go to the PA or you carry around power speakers or any other FRFR cabinet? Also, the ¨tone suck¨ issue that many complain of the MP-1/2 loop is not a problem here?
Hey El, tone suck depends on what you put it MP1/2 loop, bigger problem with MP1 as loop is serial (not mixed in to signal like MP2)
with MP2 you don't need the GCS2/3, it's got great cab sims already and in stereo (and if you did this with MP1 makes sense to put the cab sim in the loop and keep output stereo). But yes that's the setup, some prefer it (for various reasons) works well with IEM for example.  I generally record with cab sims (MP2) (keeps out the traffic noise etc.) but live I still prefer power amp / cabs  >:D and real drums.   I'm happy with cab sims for recording, but very much prefer normal loud guit through guit cabs, but some like it better with cab sims and PA boxes.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up