ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Saying goodbye to my MP-1  (Read 11898 times)

darralld

Saying goodbye to my MP-1
« on: Time Format »

Well guys I have a guy coming over tonight to buy it. I don't play out anymore so I decided to let it go and get something a little better for the house jammin. Hard decision, I just love the preamp. I figure if I need one down the road I'll just buy another one. Of course I'll still be a regular on this site! Anyone have some suggestions for a good plexi tone to use at the house? Think I may try one of the Yamaha THR amps. I have a POD XT Live that I can always use if I need something for a quick band jam.

Darrall

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Saying goodbye to my MP-1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I was gonna suggest the Yamaha

Dang, that's rough...keep your chin up, another one will come around at a killer price & you'll be back in the saddle.

DaveM

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I highly recommend the THR10X.  I purchased one last summer and I consider it a fantastic value.  The hotrodded Marshall tones are killer, and the primary reason I bought it.  Here's the video demo that sold me on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7NQHrLQxY

If you have any questions about it, just hit me up on PM.

Dave
HEADS: Mesa Boogie Mark-IVa, Egnater TOL-50
RACK: ADA MP2, Peavey Classic 60/60
PEDALBOARD: Line6 M13, MXR Carbon Copy, Fulltone FD-2 MOSFET, "Slash" WAH, Morley Lil Alligator, Digitech Jamman
CABS: Avatar and Genz-Benz
GUITARS: Ibanez, Fender & Schecter
WIRELESS: Line 6 G50
STUDIO: Cubase 6.5, Focusrite interface, M-Audio MCU-PRO DAW controller, Novation Impulse controller, KRK monitors, AKG phones, reamping courtesy of Radial

darralld

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

The MP-1 is gone. Sold it to a local guitarist that plays in an 80's cover band. So I know it will be used like it should. I didn't sell it because I needed to. Just needed something better for bedroom level. In fact he said he also wanted my ADA split cabs & will probably come back for them in a week or so. Ordered the Yamaha last night & should have it in a couple days. Anyone here use the Carl Martin Plexitone? The purple and black one? The videos I have seen of them are killer!

Darrall

brianiac5150

• This Hate of Mine
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Although I wish you the best with your new gear; I had to chime in and say that I made this mistake once and never will again.  Especially now that I have a Two Notes Torpedo CAB.  MP-1 > BBE 482i > Torpdedo CAB =  INCREDIBLE.

When I come across them and am able, I'll buy another MP-1, MP-1 Classic and/or MP-2.
THoM Faceb**k
ADA MP-1 Original

darralld

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Yep Dave this Yamaha is pretty dang cool! Amazing what you can do with it using the software. Looks like Line 6 has something similar coming out this year in a bigger amp.

RandallRG

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

The MP-1 is gone. Sold it to a local guitarist that plays in an 80's cover band. So I know it will be used like it should. I didn't sell it because I needed to. Just needed something better for bedroom level. In fact he said he also wanted my ADA split cabs & will probably come back for them in a week or so. Ordered the Yamaha last night & should have it in a couple days. Anyone here use the Carl Martin Plexitone? The purple and black one? The videos I have seen of them are killer!

Darrall
Darrall hey Buddy hows it going?Hope all is well. Just wondering...Do you still have your "Split" Cabs? Do you like them/the way they Sound? How did they sound with your "MP-1"? Thanks! Steve \m/

darralld

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Steve, Yes I still have them. The cabinets are awesome. If your looking to buy some you can't go wrong with the purchase. I'll probably sell them and also try and sell my Peavey Classic 50 / 50 power amp. If I ever start playing live again I'll probably just use my POD XT LIVE into the P.A. to make the setup easier.

Darrall

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, the split stacks and the Peavey 50/50 would work great with (as part of) your rig, if it were me and I had the $s I'd be buying them. :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

RandallRG

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Steve, Yes I still have them. The cabinets are awesome. If your looking to buy some you can't go wrong with the purchase. I'll probably sell them and also try and sell my Peavey Classic 50 / 50 power amp. If I ever start playing live again I'll probably just use my POD XT LIVE into the P.A. to make the setup easier.

Darrall
Darrall hey man how ya doing? Hope all is well Buddy! Hey just wondering if you still have your Split Cabs & your Peavey Classic? Let me know. Thanks! \m/

trader144

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I sold a split stack 15 years ago and just bought a pair last year. They sound very sweet like smooth glass when driven by a clean tube amp and an mp-1.

Has anyone tried them with a modern head?
I was wondering if they work for today's metal.
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

darralld

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Yep I still have them. Have them listed on Craigslist.

Darrall

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I sold a split stack 15 years ago and just bought a pair last year. They sound very sweet like smooth glass when driven by a clean tube amp and an mp-1.

Has anyone tried them with a modern head?
I was wondering if they work for today's metal.
Can't see why not (work for today's metal/work with a modern head), although the split stacks were loaded with different speakers depending on the model.  I think the stock ones were loaded with 75w Celestion 16 ohm 12s which no doubt are still found (or variations of) in many Marshall cabs.  My split stacks are loaded with 90w 8 ohm Boogie Celestions so I'd end up with 4 ohm cabs and they would handle metal just fine although you might want to chuck a 15 or 2 underneath if you detune significantly.

trader144

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I guess my real question is do the vintage celestions sound too vintage for today's rock bands.
My cab sim is very different between vintage and modern speakers, so thought the vintage speakers may not produce today's sound.
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

There is another post (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=224.0) re vintage split stacks (I've not used them) which discusses a "bright" switch on the vintage cabs no doubt to make them sound more modern.
My understanding is that the vintage cabs are loaded with speakers designed to mimic the older style speakers (eg Celestion greenbacks etc).  MJMP did the bright mod on his split stacks, not sure if his are vintage cabs (probably not if they didn't have the switch already).  All that said, you can put a variety of 12s in the box depending what sound you want.  My Boogie Celetion 90w 8 ohm 12s are quite bright (like most things Boogie  ;) ) and work very well in my split stacks.  For me, impedance was also an issue as I wanted the cabs to be 4 ohm to get the most out of my ADA B200s power amp.  Normal ADA cabs were typically loaded with 2 x 16 ohm speakers thus 8 ohm cabs (speakers wired in parallel).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up