ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MP1 - Loop question  (Read 8644 times)

s2pro

ADA MP1 - Loop question
« on: Time Format »

Hello,
I have some questions about ADA loop, why the volume are low when I put the Alesis Midiverb II in efect loolp? (send /receive).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: ADA MP1 - Loop question
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey s2pro, the MP1 loop is designed to take instrument level or line level signals, some like it some don't. My personal beef with it is it's a serial loop and "inserts" the FX(S) in the signal chain. I never used it when I had an MP1, I used a mixer with Aux sends instead (mix in in parallel which is a better/easier (albeit more expensive) way to go IMO).
The MP1 uses a dual gang (wired opposing) pot. Turning it up increases the send level and decreases the return level. The idea is to keep "unity" gain. So you need to match the input and output levels of your MVII to it.
Try: Put MVII on bypass, set loop to 12 o'clock, adjust MVII input and output such that when you turn the loop on (in) or off (out) on a patch there is no change in the patch level (remember the loop is "inserted" in the signal chain). Once you get that right you can turn on some FX and use the MVII mix vol to control how much FX is applied to the signal. If there is a volume increase or decrease, use the MVII input and output levels to match so there is no increase or decrease in patch level. The MVII input and output are global settings however and are not saved with each patch.  You can change other MVII parameters which are saved with each patch (e.g. delay or reverb input/output and their respective mix levels) to fine tune further.  Some like the MP1 loop, others don't, it's a bit fiddly but you can get it right, just a bit tricky it seems.
Hope that helps, other here use it to good affect and may chime in with some good ideas, but above is a good starting point.
Cheers R
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

s2pro

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thank you very much for the infos. Maybe you can give me an advice how are best to plug my gear. I try to replicate the Paul Gilbert gear from Intensive rock video. My gear are:
Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Relic 60
Fender Twin Reverb 1977
(I know that's are not very good for that)

ADA MP1 (ver.2)
DBX MODEL 266 RACK MOUNT COMPRESSOR
Alesis MIDIVERB II
BBE Sonic Maximizer 411
Rocktron Hush IICX
Furman M-8x2 15 Amps Power Conditioner

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

You can try to hook the alesis up at the out A + B.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

You can try to hook the alesis up at the out A + B.
That's how I hook up my fx units. It sounds great and you don't have to deal with the dual gang pot. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

s2pro

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Output ADA A+B to input CH1 +CH2 (Alesis) and output Alesis to amp? corect?
But the compressor, bb, rocktron?

s2pro

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

need to put this on chain:
DBX MODEL 266 RACK MOUNT COMPRESSOR
Alesis MIDIVERB II
BBE Sonic Maximizer 411
Rocktron Hush IICX
Furman M-8x2 15 Amps Power Conditioner

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey  s2pro, I'd start simple (easy to complicate it more later), the MVII is a stereo FX device and "all" you need with the MP1, others like the BBE etc but to me the only thing I'd keep (apart from the MVII) is the power conditioner (furman) (the hush maybe  if you are using that much gain, i.e. if it was a 3TM MP1). I've never used a BBE and have no desire to try one, in my view it just pollutes your sound (but hey hey each to their own, with MP1 there's (IMO) no need for such a device). But as I said I've not tried one nor ever had the need with MP1/MP2. Keep it simple, particularly at first. (BTW from what I've read here about BBE, they are a waist of $s in regard to MP1/2 setups, others may disagree).  Anyway you want to get a good basic setup, and PG didn't use use (or need to) a BBE (my understanding is they just add upper harmonics like oral exciter, wank value at best, I like things simple with good gain structure). So what you want (from what I can tell so far) is a good stereo MP setup that approximates PG sounds. So easiest way (but not the best way IMO) is to "chain" through the MVII, so MP1 A B outs > MVII Chn 1/2 in, MVII outs 1/2 to stereo poweramp (or 2 fender twins). PG ran in stereo, like most of us do, works a treat with MP1/2 BTW and I'll never go back to mono. Have a read of some of the MP1 patch ideas, you'll get what we are talking about. But basically just get your MP1 and MVII working together, then expand from there, (sell the BBE and buy something useful, like a good rack case and a descent stereo poweramp and stereo cabs), but to play like PG, get your fingers working like he does!!. PG has a pretty straight mp1 sound with a bit of delay and reverb.

s2pro

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Thank's I will try

Soloist

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

If you want to add in your other rack pieces I would go guitar>comp>MP1>Hush>Midi Verb>BBE>Power amp. You could eliminate the comp, the MP1 has a compressed type tone anyways. The BBE is a matter of taste some like it some don't. I liked mine when I had it. You definitely want the hush before the Midi verb so it doesn't choke the repeats on you delays. You could even put the hush in the MP1's fx loop. The BBE is always last in the chain, like a finalizer.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey s2pro, good advice from Soloist, but build it up bit by bit. Get your basic tone sorted and then add things in the appropriate part of the chain. Have a read of the various MP1 patching discussions (e.g. MikeBs journey, he's now getting very good tones using a passive mixer to mix in his GMaj (in your case the MVII)). Also worth noting is the MP1 headphone stereo out (careful has lots of gain) is to some extent cab simed so good for recording direct.

s2pro

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Thank's  :metal:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey no worries, lots of help and ideas here, (and a good deal of passion for ADA gear).

s2pro

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

My first ADA MP1 was in '95 when I come in NY for some recordings, from Sam Ash Music Store, used but great tone. I remember I asked "I want a guitar effect for Metallica sound" and the person from guitar dep. say this is: ADA MP1. Was a great but after 5 years I sell, until then I try a lot of pedals, efects, processors, ... custom pedals, shit, nothing compare to raw of ADA, really. 3 weeks ago I buy again my favorite ADA, yesterday I buy a Kramer '80 and a Dimarzio Super Distorsion vintage '80, so I wait to arivve. SO LET"S ROCK !!
Thank you for all your comments ! Of course I have more to ask, but until then:
I WISH TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS A HAPPY NEY YEAR ! and KEEP SOUND OF ROCK !

Soloist

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Good score on the Kramer! I had one back in the day, that thing was a flame thrower :banana-rock:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up