ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Input Jack  (Read 3645 times)

Jaster

Rear Input Jack
« on: Time Format »

I have an early MP1 (v1.38, top switch) that works well on its own, but I've been trying to integrate it into my rack. I want to try it in the loop of my GSP1101 (cue comments on maintaining an analogue signal path ;)) but I'm not having much luck.

The loop send on the 1101 is switchable between +4 and -10dB, so I have it set to +4dB and running into the line input on the back of the MP1 and then from the main output back to the loop return of the 1101, but all I can get is the faintest sound out of it with all three gain stages cranked. Am I doing something wrong? It might be useful to add that I am using a TS cable as opposed to TRS.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Rear Input Jack
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Jaster, it seems to me it's either a gain structure/matching problem or a connection problem. First check top switch is in Line pos not Inst as this changes the MP1 outs from Inst lv to Line Lv (to plug into guitar amp (Inst) or poweramp (Line)).
The rear jack (if not modded) is balanced TRS Line lv. TS jack should work but to check, use -10 on 1101 send / return and try the front MP1 input, and set top switch to Inst Lv for MP1 out to 1101 return.
Does the 1101 have diferent level settings for the send/return/mix in its patch settings ? I suspect it should so that may also be the issue. While you can run the MP1 in a loop like an FX or dist stomp box, that's not quite what they were designed for as you are driving the MP1 input with whatever input gain settings selected from the 1101 and then distorting them more (not good gain structure)

Another approach, "Y" split your guitar into 1101 in and MP1 front in, MP1 outs A/B into 1101 returns, this will pick up any 1101 FX that come after it's loop return for MP1 and mix it in with overall 1101 sound. You can then select various mix options by setting up different patches in 1101 and MP1 selecting various sounds and FX/Dry mix levels. This way you can program blank (zeroed) patches in MP1 when you don't want it in the sound, conversely set up 1101 patches with no (zeroed) input to just have MP1 + 1101 FX (and anything in between). My 2 cents worth.

Plenty of comments from me re maintaining analogue signal path elsewhere LOL :lol: . The difference is quite obvious in a studio set up with good monitors or when you play at stage (loud  >:D ) volumes. But each to their own  :thumb-up:

A third approach may be use a small 4 channel mixer with 2 aux sends, again "Y" split 1101 and MP1 inputs (and control with patch settings). 1101 > ch 1/2, MP1 > ch 2/3 (pan hard L/R), aux 1/2 to 1101 returns then mixer L/R out to power amp.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up