ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a MP2. Do I need a MP1?  (Read 7789 times)

Rawk777

I have a MP2. Do I need a MP1?
« on: Time Format »

Hi,

I mostly play fast punk/metal with a lot of chug. I have a MP2 that I love. I never tried a MP1, so I don't really know how it's different, and there is not a lot of useful videos on the internet that shows how both are different. I heard a lot of people say MP1 is better for metal than the MP2.

Should I pick a MP1, or will I just waste my time an money on it instead of playing guitar on my MP2 that have already more than I feel I really need?

vansinn

Re: I have a MP2. Do I need a MP1?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Should I pick a MP1, or will I just waste my time an money on it instead of playing guitar on my MP2 that have already more than I feel I really need?

Seems to me you already answered you own question.. - "more than I feel I really need" ;)

Well, the two MP's are fairly different processors. The MP-2 has more sexy cleans, has more flexibility, more build-in features, whereas the MP-1 has it's very own distinct tone and behavior, but far less features.

Running the two in parallel, i.e. stacking up like when re-amping, into a mixer can result in a bigger, badder sound, should you want it so.
For metal, being able to stack up a clean with distortion can make things come through the mix much better than a single channel, especially if working with down tuned or multi string guitars.
Unless you feel the need for these things, it sounds to me like you're already well enough suited.

If you have a dual-channel amp of sorts, which allows running separately into each channel, you might be able to stack up the MP-2 alongside the other channel, to achieve what I just outlined above.

Another thing is that your preferred styles might benefit more from adding one of the Engl preamps, like the E530 or E570, to your rig (via a mixer of sorts - search in here for mixer ideas).
A few of those Engl's can be outfitted with a MIDI add-on that allows basic things like changing channels and such.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I mostly play fast punk/metal with a lot of chug......I heard a lot of people say MP1 is better for metal than the MP2.

Both will do Metal just fine, some say the MP-1 sounds a bit more "organic".     
Aside from that, the first thing I'd ask:  Does your sound and playing style require a Gate? 

If yes, then you'll need to buy a separate Gate to add to the MP-1.  The MP-2 already has one built in which saves you some money, a rack space, or floorboard space and more patch cables.   After that, if you don't want or need to use the Graphic EQ, Tremolo, Wah, or all 10 Voicings in the MP-2, you certainly don't have to.  As long as you can make the unit do what you need it to do, there's no shame in leaving some of the other features alone.  It's like having 128 programmable patches available...doesn't mean you need to use 128 programs.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Need? Nah.....but want, there's the one that gets you

The MP-2 has a more processed sound, which can be good or bad. I keep my patches really simple in the MP-2 because you can overdo it pretty easily.

The MP-1 has it's advantages too though, you can create a patch very quickly and, as Kim says, they tend to sound a bit more raw. I feel like it's easier to hear the guitar cut through the mix with that raw tone, whereas the MP-2 can sometimes get lost in the mix.

Also, the MP-2 is not nearly as responsive to picking attack IMHO.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Well I went from the MP-1 to the MP-2 and back to the MP-1 for distortion tones. The mp-1 sounds more open to me, also less muddy at higher gain settings. Now I do use both but the MP-1 for distortion sounds and the MP-2 for cleans.
I play in a metal cover band ranging from Black Sabbath to Slayer.

Rawk777

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Ho well,

I was trying to convince me that I did not needed it, but... It's the seller's fault! He dropped it's price! So now I have them all - mp1, mp2, mb1.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: a family, now like me, you just need a MP=1 Classic  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

That's the spirit!  Gear whoring always wins :bow:
So, just an MP-1 Classic to go..
« Last Edit: Time Format by van Sinn »

Rawk777

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I forgot about the mp1-classic!

Then, I will NEED more MP1 to have all the mods, before having to NEED a backup unit for each of them... just in case.

Seriously, if I find a deal on a jmp1, triaxis, engl, rockmaster ... I might pick one.

A few years ago I was more than happy using only Amplitube.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I like using Amplitube! With an old iPod Touch or my iPad, I have a backup rig. (i bought a little adapter to allow midi switching too, so I can use my footswitch)

Rawk777

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I really like using ampliube vst in cubase for my guitar tracks. This way, if I need to edit something, my edits comes before the amp. It sounds more natural.

I should reamp my tunes with my actual rig one day :).

vansinn

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Then, I will NEED more MP1 to have all the mods, before having to NEED a backup unit for each of them... just in case.

Careful, dude. I wanted to eventually, potentially start a band, so started doubling up with spare MP-2, TSR-24 floor controller.. Ohh, programmable mixer too good a deal to pass, will be great for the [hypothetical] band. Fill in other gear specs, repeat and rinse.. :facepalm:
I now have to sell all that stuff I never used. Would've better focusing on just what I actually needed, item by item.. :thumb-up:
I'm back to where I was 10 years ago: 'just' and MP-2 with a reverb pedal in the loop, works just fine..

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Van, what reverb pedal are you using in the loop ? Now I have my 73 Marshall fixed (hum free) and one of the inputs direct to poweramp (as MJMP has his) and a MP-1, I'm thinking to make a simple mono rig but I need reverb (without necessarily getting too elaborate).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

What amplitube version are you guys using?

vansinn

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

@Nolan: It's the über-inexpensive Behringer Rev100. Not exactly a Lex, but I use it purely for ambiance, not big verbs.
Scattered verb, room verb and spring works best; tone set a Bit subdued, like less than half, delay time half to 2/3rd.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up