ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally an external Noise gate device  (Read 5059 times)

Hanneman213

After my last stage, finally I decided to get a noise gate pedal and use it also with my pedal board to shut up my other noisy pedal Friedman Be od.
There were some unexpected annoying pop sounds and squeals during the songs which have some instant rests like whitesnake's Still of the night.
I found a second hand Boss NS-2. I connected it to MP2 with 4 cable method
Guitar to input of Ns2
From Send of Ns2 to Mp2 input.
From Output Mp2 to Return of Ns2
Output from NS2 to Tc G major 2
Now chatter is gone, most of the hum is gone. This is satisfactory when you compare the old situation. But some hum continued.
Furthermore, I also activated  the gate in Mp2 and started to find where noise completely goes. It is approx 16. Degree of Threshold. And turned down the threshold of Boss Ns2 as minimum as possible.
Now Mp2 is dead quiet, no chatter and satisfactory sustain.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Hanneman213 »
ESP Standart V>ADA MP2>TC G Major2>ADA Ampulator>Rocktron Velocity>Mesa Rectifier1x12

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Finally an external Noise gate device
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Were you getting noise gate chatter from your MP2 ?  There's a fix for that, one resistor change (R611).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Hanneman213

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Yes, I did this exactly. The gate cuts the decaying note very early. To Avoid this situation I adjust the gate as minimum as it can be but this time It chatters and hums.
However Boss Noise Suppressor can not cut the hiss or hum coming from MP2. I cut it with Mp2's own gate in Threshold 16.
ESP Standart V>ADA MP2>TC G Major2>ADA Ampulator>Rocktron Velocity>Mesa Rectifier1x12

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Normally the NS-2 is a good pedal but it could be the mix of the line level (mp-2) and instrument level (NS-2).Maybe try to turn down the front vol pot?

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Interesting!

I've been using the ISP Decimator ProRack G all this time, with none of the issues you mention.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Hanneman213

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hello MarshallJMP,
NS-2 eliminated my chatter and squeal problems which I couldn't solve in MP2 even after I changed the 611 Resistor. Now, When I open up some volume of my power amp, some hiss continues. Maybe as an obsession I like dead quiet amp. But I will try all possibilities thank you.

Hey GuitarBuilder,
Of Course, your rack unit is very good. But I refused to get another Gate unit when MP2 has one built-in for sometime.

Anyway, Even though having a satisfactory practical pedal board but a loop switcher missing, I love my MIDI controlled MP2 tied with TC Gmajor and other racks (Ampulator and Rocktrone Velocity) to play live.
I use % 75 Warm Hi Gain to play 80's Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. But somehow after my last show, our headliner extreme metal band musicians came to me while disassembling my self from the stage and asked what do I use when I play Deep Purple but sounds like Metallica Black Album.
So I will continue with my MP2 forever.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I share your love of the MP2  :thumb-up: >:D :metal: , These days I'm using Voice 5 Warm vintage mostly which doesn't need a gate.  But in the day (when I used to play more 80's stuff) my main rhythm patch needed a gate, but I found the MP2 gate fine (using fader setting and 25 threshold):Lead Patch (used to be my main rhythm patch)
Voice    9 Ultra High Gain
Drive    70
OD    100
Master    77
Comp    Out
Lo     +2
Mid    -6
Hi     +6
Pres    +6
100 Hz    0
170     +2
280    -6
470    -2
800    -2
1.3kHz    -2
2.2    -4
3.8     +2
6.3    -2
Wah    Out
Trem    Out
NR    In, Fader, Thres 25
Chorus    In Depth 100, rate 0.0
EffLoop    Out
The chorus adds a doubling short delay (Depth 100, rate 0.0), though this trick works better with the MP1, seems to flange a bit with MP2

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Interesting!

I've been using the ISP Decimator ProRack G all this time, with none of the issues you mention.

Well I went trough a lot of noise gates and finally also ended up with the Prorack G, best gate I ever owned, not cheap but worth every cent!!

Hanneman213

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

This is my video which I posted to another topic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk7WUUklbCU/

Now, as you can hear, there's no feedback, no hum nor chatter anymore during the rests of songs, as I mentioned before. Maybe its contrary to ''rack school'' I placed the Boss Noise Supressor outside of the case and 4 cables seem like octopus.But I am happy now.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Glad it's working for you  :whoohoo!: .  Is there a reason you put the NR/S outside the rack case ?  You shouldn't need to (just thinking of convenience here).  Rack school to me is have it all in 1 rack so easy transport/setup etc.  But hey whatever works, I used to hump around 2 Marshall heads, 2 cabs ADA MP1, Rockman X100, st chorus & digital delay pedals, A/B A+B switch associated wall warts and various cables   :facepalm: .  Now I have a rack, cab(s), midi pedal, so much easier....

herbyguitar

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

...I used to hump around 2 Marshall heads, 2 cabs ADA MP1, Rockman X100, st chorus & digital delay pedals, A/B A+B switch associated wall warts and various cables   :facepalm: .  Now I have a rack, cab(s), midi pedal, so much easier....

Yeah... I used to be young once too...   8)
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

Hanneman213

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Glad it's working for you  :whoohoo!: .  Is there a reason you put the NR/S outside the rack case ?  You shouldn't need to (just thinking of convenience here).  Rack school to me is have it all in 1 rack so easy transport/setup etc.  But hey whatever works, I used to hump around 2 Marshall heads, 2 cabs ADA MP1, Rockman X100, st chorus & digital delay pedals, A/B A+B switch associated wall warts and various cables   :facepalm: .  Now I have a rack, cab(s), midi pedal, so much easier....

Simply, because I don't have any other place to mount this pedal. I carry it in back empty side of the rack case with patch cables plugged. When I start to set up on stage, I take it out, I directly plug my guitar to it and plug 9v power adapter.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Hanneman213 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up