ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

my new mp1 sounds like dudu

<< < (2/6) > >>

rnolan:
Hey David, I agree, something isn't quite right, a pair of known good Mullards and factory patch 1 should sound decent, well better than decent.  Tiny and Tinny sounds like the signal isn't getting through properly. My first guess is the input jack (it gets the most ware) and these are old units.  But it could be a number of things, we'll have to step through them all a try to find the issue. 
1. Do you get any leds flashing when you play ? this will indicate if there is decent signal in the various circuits.  They should flash or even stay lit or go red when you turn up OD1, OD2 and Master on a patch. If no leds flashing then input jack may be the issue.  It's worth giving it a clean with some decent contact cleaner regardless.  Can you take some pics of the inside (take the lid off) and post them/attach them (keep them around 1.5MB or they wont attach), this will show us a bunch of stuff about the version (e.g. the later version MP1 input jack is relatively easy to replace, early version MP1 not so easy and better to do the rear jack mod).2. If you have flashing leds, take the signal from Fx loop send to amp (there should always be good signal here and will help rule in/out where problem is likely to be)3. While you have the top off for pics, give the output vol pot a good clean with contact cleaner (it may be the culprit) BTW is it scratchy ??).It's also worth taking off the bottom cover (easy, like the top except with the top you have to undo the front center screw) and take some pics, this will show if it's been worked on, maybe it's a failed mod someone attempted (not uncommon).Check out MikeBs post (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=2241.0) for the various pics that help.

MarshallJMP:
The hafler, is that a power amp or a true guitar amp?

davidfugler:
thanks, I'll do these suggestions. The Hafler is a ss stereo power amp. Been using that since my b200s died back in 1995. It still sounds good with the mp2, but I'm also trying to find a good tube power amp. peavy 50/50 is too midrange heavy for my taste, and a carvin tube 100 I just got is too top heavy, but maybe mod able somehow. I put a post in the non ada amp section about the tube 100, that I also need help with.

Chamai:
Tube power more makes a hue difference. Try going for a mesa power amp instead. 6l6 sounds nice and thick with less midrange.

The secret with great distortion is adding an equal pedal up front. Reverse smile face on the eq pedal and put the levels and it. Cutting bass and treble and boosting mids gives the distortion more clarity. You can also up the bass on your mp1 without the bass sounding flubby. Think mesa amps. A lot of people cut bass and upping the bass using the onboard eq instead. 

MarshallJMP:
Ah ok so the amp is good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version