ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 - MDRT Upgrade + plus big noise Mod  (Read 78565 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: MP1 - MDRT Upgrade + plus big noise Mod
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Ok got the resistor onto the tube board.  MJMP has instructed how to test the volts!!  I shall do this.

I accidentally tested it without doing the multimeter check before hand.  The sound is really different from before.  How I would describe it would be, it's got more cut through.  Or if you have ever used a guitar compressor that has and attack control?  Well if you  have you know this allows some of the peaks through untouched, retaining dynamics.  So while the compression is there you're still getting this 3D dynamic feeling.  So the whole sound of the unit has a new solid inner feel to the tone as opposed to a more "squidgy" sound (this is in reference to a high gain setting of 7.5 on both OD's).  So the squidgey sound is still there, that nice spongery responsive compressive feeling we all like, but through the middle of this sound we have like a solid harder feeling tone which is f**king awesome if I am to describe it appropriately.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MikeB

« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

I'm waiting to have my mdrt delivered with a whole heap of stuff that Richard is getting done by mjmp to save on postage. It's taking a while and i dont know if i can wait any longer.  Might have to get it delivered seperately. It just want to stick it in there!  And then i will paint my mp1 green.  :banana-trip:
I don't feel tardy!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

Mike you will need to draw on muscles also!

No seriously man, it's great!  It's kinda hard to explain.  Still MP1 but more detail, more power, nice response, different feel.  I think more gain as well.  Also just for the record my MP1 is using the original stock tubes  :thumb-up:  So they're older than my girl friend probably lol

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Hey Mike, well good news is MJMP said he's close to sending it all ( :whoohoo!: 2 x refurbished and MDRTed MB1s and a B500b), so now I need to buy a bass (or 2 or 3... :facepalm: ).

Hey RG how are you going with the new user guide for MDRT installation ?, I'm sure Mike and I will nut it out but it would be handy  :wave:

Actually, Mikes MP1 is sounding very nice with new tube board and noise mod (Mullard short plate + SPAX7, works well IMHO), so the MDRT upgrade will be very interesting. Also the hybrid patch arrangement is working well (so split mix after MP1 outs, mostly to TC GMaj (and using GMaj CC features but also mixing in a little (very little BTW) analogue MP1 signal). It has a tighter and tidier sound than I remember, but then we/you are using GCS 3 in the loop and most of our monitoring is via studio full range.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

I have lots and lots of pics and It's probably going to be made in a manner that is way below your understanding, so If I explain that in a different way, it will probably be over simplified for you Richard, but hey I figured it may as well be made like a "for dummies guide" because the current one just skips things.  Like taking the tube board out.  It randomly just jumps to "and now fit this resistor, and you will have 3 possibly types of tube board, if yours is A do this, if yours is B do that, if yours is C do this".

So I took pics of literally every step or nearly, even trying to demonstrate what way certain leads should be disconnected and shit like that.  I had trouble working out how to remove the old tranny for example, because I didn't know what was connected to it and a few other small things that if detailed in a guide would make things run a lot smoother as opposed to having to bother MJMP will 5000000000000000 emails.

I am gonna write the guide up, give it to MJMP and then he can refine the what I say in case I get something wrong.

I will probably blend in the old guide and it's pics as they are still of use.

Hopefully it's useful to someone and I don't f*ck it up.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Hey RG Excellent, looking forward to it. And BTW I'm happy with the lowest common denominator approach  :thumb-up: And from me (and I suspect many here) thank you for doing this  :bow:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

Don't want to step on any toes but it's pruely as I have written guides in my job and I know how to make them more for the novice.  Sure this might be tedious for a more experienced person but sure if that is the case at least they can fly through it as opposed to a novice guy getting stuck a certain point because suddenly the tube board is out and available for soldering!

I'd feel proud if my guide was good enough to get used.

And all I can say is it's a worth while upgrade to buy an MDRT.

The guide for the noise mod is better however when I get round to doing it I'll take more pics and then myself and MJMP can update that too.

So currently I am at the stage where I have installed MDRT, and shit is good!   :poop:

I want to enjoy it now for a week before I start the noise mod.  If  play it at practice on Saturday and thoroughly get a stiffy over the sound then perhaps I will move on sooner to the noise mod, but generally I want to just keep the screws in place for a few days.

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

... Also just for the record my MP1 is using the original stock tubes  :thumb-up:  So they're older than my girl friend probably lol

:lol: Not old... vintage !
« Last Edit: Time Format by tomy »
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

ahhhhhhhh there she is  :lol:

NOT!  If I get found out about saying the actual GF will cut my balls off (like I mentioned somewhere else lol )

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

Well depending how much use the tubes have had over the years (and the original tubes lasted very well), some new bottles will sound killer.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

call me insane but those stock bottles I have in there sound great to me.  It's nice to know there is a TAD model (I have one but cannot remember TAD001 may be) out there that is very very similar should anyone want to buy tubes quite like the original ones ADA put in in the factory.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

Cool beans RG! MDRT is a must-have...
Now don't waste any more time and do the NoiseMod. Your positive impressions of the MDRT will definitely be consolidated. The higher quality/better spec filter caps in the PSU and the higher qual/better spec coupling caps on tne tube board will unveil the full potential of the MDRT'd MP1.
Same goes for the U4 replacement. The BurrBrown OPA2604 sounds (and then also "feels") way more "tube-like" than the standard TL072...and has a lower noise floor.
Keep em coming!!!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

vansinn

« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

I've always said replace every electrolytic capacitor in any gear older than about a decade.
They do dry out, and though this is to variable degree, can easily affect performance.

Oh! Was that a picture of Auntie Ada.. :lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

gonna start it tonight.  Thought I might have used it this weekend but I just used one of my Peavey Rockmasters (funnily enough I'm modding one of them too  :crazy:)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

gonna start it tonight....
Finished??
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up