ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 - MDRT Upgrade + plus big noise Mod  (Read 77834 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: MP1 - MDRT Upgrade + plus big noise Mod
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

f**king hell I was counting on the boots man!

I jest hahahaha  yeah sure I can't wait to do upgrade. MDRT time!  Look what it has done for this banana  :banana-trip:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Yep start with the MDRT,testing,next up the 3 big caps,testing then replace the resistor R9 and the 3 caps on the tubeboard (the high voltage ones),testing etc... if you do it in small steps and something goes wrong you know what you did last and it will be much easier to diagnose.The replacement of U4 creates the most problems so when you're up to that one just replace the opamp (socket) and test.
Best way to do it if you don't have a desoldering gun is cutting the pins like explained here

http://www.bustedgear.com/repair_IC_socket_install_2.htm
The use some desoldering braid to remove the solder from the holes.Tip;if the solder isn't sucked out entirely put some new solder on it and try again.

And if there are questions or doubts mail me!!!!! before you proceed.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Fantastic, I like that, steps!!  Clarity is a winner.  I shall do it just as you said.

btw the demo attached earlier is stock original Chinese tubes from uh probably 1989 or some shit like that lol

here is the same song played a few years ago.  We haven't played it since about then, but will be playing again soon as it's going on the album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNw8lDiBFo
no mistakes from me for once!  We just become a three piece at that point

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

yeah ! awesome  with Heineken background @+
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

hahaha I only noticed the Heineken background!  I believe that is blind of sorts covering a window.

I think if I recall we showed up to that gig and they had f*ck all backline, and we're using combos lol  Sometimes it makes more sense to use combos in the size of clubs we play in.  I'm guilty of overkill lol.

Ok First few steps I shall complete with the MDRT upgrade.

tomy

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

:thumb-up:keeping on working You're on the good way!
Did you sleep ?

ARSENAL :

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, overkill  >:D , you are in very good company hear I suspect, certainly with me LoL...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Did you sleep ?

Of course man!

What do you mean if I slept?  Funny I was sick this week and missing some sleep because of fever and f**king noisey cats who I will promptely kill if I get the chance.  They sound like crying babies!  It's quite f**king disturbing in more ways than one.  Sorry all cat lovers, these strays gotta go or else be slienced!

Yes Richard, overkill!  I like a bit of that!

tomy

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Did you sleep ?

Of course man!

What do you mean if I slept? 

You 've worked all night long on your upgrade

ARSENAL :

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

No I haven't started yet hahaha  I might this evening.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Good song,can't wait to see you in october !!!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Yeah I'm looking forward to playing Belgium, I knew I'd end up somewhere close enough for you to come watch up playing.

Going to be another country I've visited under my belt!  Can't wait!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Started it last night.

Took out the old transformer (BTW anyone think it's worth trying to sell this on ebay????)

Cut the wire that was crimped, unsoldered the other from the power switch, unplugged the lo voltage plug and hi voltage plug to the tube board, out she came.

While I was at it, I changed the fuse holder as the one that was in there weirdly had no threads for the cap to screw on???  So I took that out and fitted a new one, soldered the wires accordingly.  I made a mess of the nut that fits this to the chasis what with clumsy turns of needle nose pliers, losing grip and trying to re grip etc but no one will see it anyways.  Eventually got round to getting the new one installed.  Mounted accordingly with the screws, soldered the blue wire to the power switch, and attached the brown wire (which had a crimp thing on it that I cut off) to the white wire that the previous crimp thing had been attached to.  I stripped the white wire a bit and brown wire from mdrt and soldered together, then heat shrinked the solder join for insulation.

Next step will be change the plug to either a UK 3 pin plug or an IEC male socket to fit in power conditioner.  Once tested this I can do the resistor change on the board that allows 240v as opposed to 190v.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey RG go with the jug (IEC) lead, will make different countries a little easier... :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

IEC Male installed.  Unit powered on no probs.  Will record it before I change the resistor in the tube board.  Watch this space.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up