ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Trusty MP-2  (Read 6449 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: My Trusty MP-2
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I went through about an hour of songs yesterday, not a single volume jump. I even tried changing my voicing from #8 Vintage High Gain to #9 & #10 for a few songs - ZERO issues. In fact, it's damn quiet - even with single coils.

Now, I didn't turn up real loud, but I will bring the MP-2 to practice tonight just for fun & let you know how it goes (I have the Hughes & Kettner head at practice already, in case the MP-2 gives me any qrief)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, fantastic  :thumb-up: .  One aspect of taking out the EPROM is it does a more thorough boot sequence the first time after you put it back in.  So maybe it was the tubes and all is well  ::)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Whelp, no practice yesterday, but I did turn it up a bit an my MT-100 is acting up. Dammit.

Louder in one channel than the other, a good deal louder. Bridged mono appears fine. I want to say it was channel B that was quieter, but I didn't confirm which cab was plugged in where. I'll do that at next practice.

MT-100 power amps are one of my favorite sounding power amps, but they are delicate. I would look into another one, but since I don't use my rack gear live, I have no motivation to do it right away....maybe when a windfall drops in my lap

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Dante,

I've had that issue with all my MT-100s.

For whatever reason, they seem to toast the output transistor on one side. I was thinking maybe because I used them in bridged mode.
It sounds now, that it will do the same thing regardless how I run them.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, just to be sure (if you haven't checked already) swap the inputs over.  One of my MP-2s is going softer then louder on one channel, which made me think I had issues with the mixer channels or leads. 

But as you both say, MT100s seem to have issues  :facepalm: .  BTW what ever happened to the US model Microtube 200 I swapped with you for your US B200s years ago??  The B200s got a nice 240v toroidal tranny and is still going strong (when I spoke with it's owner the other day).

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Richard, I bought a minty MT-200 that had just been 'gone thru' and sold the one I got from you. In fact, I had 3 of them at one time, now I'm down to one.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, good to know  :wave:   Do you prefer the MT1100? or is is because speakers are 50w?  Or do MT100s sound better than MT200s?  Also, did you confirm both MP-2 channels are solid, or had you already established that? (only that one of my MP-2s is playing up on one channel  :facepalm: ) but then is just fades to a bit low, and periodically comes good again.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

The MT-200 is fine, both channels are good. The MT-100 is just my sentimental fave I guess, they don't sound any different to my ears than the MT-200...tones are in the preamps ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up