ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on using a fuzz pedal with MP-1  (Read 4105 times)

kawai2g4b

I love thrash and soul...but my personal favorite is stoner/doom in all of its forms, and most of my writing follows suit.  This leads to my next consideration.

Since most MP-1 users seem to be from an era that was devoid of fuzz pedals, I have limited info to work with as to how to hook up a couple up to my rack system.  Considering how most fuzzes don't like to follow buffers, is there a preferred method to how to link them up?  Midi switchable loops? Etc?
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Opinions on using a fuzz pedal with MP-1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

You could put them in the MP1 loop which then gives you on/off control via midi (ie change patch on MP1 to patch with or without loop) and also control the amount of fuzz the pedal adds to the MP1 tone with the loop mix setting.  Normally you would put them before the MP1 but in both cases you have to be careful about the gain, the pedals can add quite a bit of gain and thus potentially overload the MP1 input.  There were (and still are) plenty of fuzz/distortion pedals way back when I stared to play, can't stand most of them.  I got a better sound (for me) by cranking my 1972 Marshall 50 and then adjusting it's volume with a Tom Schultz power soak (as no master on the old Marshall).  When I got an MP1 all that went away as the MP1 has plenty of gain/distortion and totally programmable, I'd (and still am) never been happier with the sound.  I'd imaging the 3TM mod or similar would cope with thrash as it adds another tube, that's if there's not enough gain in your MP1 already.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kawai2g4b

Re: Opinions on using a fuzz pedal with MP-1
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the reply again rnolan!  I definitely differ with you on fuzz but you are most likely right on the MP-1 and oversaturation.  That said, I bought a Soho QTR-1 4 tube preamp that came in last week to take care of some lower gain stuff and I am likely going route some fuzzes before it in a seperate rack.  I really need just one fuzz for the MP-1 rig because it is a necessary evil  >:D for a lot of the stuff I play...its really hard to do Queens of the Stone age solos without one handy.  Luckily the one I have in mind has an output level control so its going in front of the MP-1.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up