Other ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabs

Beyma Liberty 8

<< < (2/3) > >>

rnolan:
Hey Harley
I tend to agree with you, I wasn't particularly impressed with the Celetions in the "shootout" either. Also the cabinet makes a difference.  From what I was reading re Lorantz speakers (http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/auxpage_lorantz/), higher power handling reduces bandwidth. Also higher impedance speakers are usually more efficient. Some variables to keep in mind.
The 2 12M70's in one of my split stacks sound better than the 75w Celestions they had in the clip, no where near as hollow. But then we also eq our patches to suit the speakers.
R

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Richard,

The higher impedance speakers will still break up, but the breakup is softer IMHO. I think what I'm really after is to not get any speaker break up at all, and just broadcast the Preamp/Amp Overdrive without adding any additional distortion from the speakers. I believe this allows more bottom end to come through than you would typically find from the more distortion saturated settings. It's more pleasing to my ears that way.

Harley 8)

rnolan:
Hey Harley, with the high power rating of the ones your looking at they should be well within their limits and not break up. I agree, I'm not looking for poweramp or speaker distortion, let it all happen in the MP1/2. The MP2 sounds awesome plugged direct into studio set up, so clean all the way.

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Richard,

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but when you are recording with a lightly crunchy tone, the playback of the recording seems to sound like the crunch is heavier than than what you are hearing through the speakers. Do you ever get that impression?

Harley 8)

rnolan:
Hey Harley, I spose the simple answer is yes and no. There are so many variables to account for/balance. If what you mean is the guitar speakers sound one way to your ears but when that's recorded (and then how was it recorded (vast array of how, e.g. mics, mic placement, I/O device, software/tape, levels....) it sounds different.
There are lots of reasons a guitar rig may sound different recorded, however, from your question, the main one that come to mind is mic proximity effect (and very much depends on the mic). If you use say SM 57s (popular choice for miking guitar cabs), 57's and 58's were designed to have a distinct bass boost when up close to the source, they also both have a 5khz (presence) boost (hump).
If you really want to try to capture exactly (well as close as you can get) to what's coming off the speaker, you'd use a high quality condenser mic(s) and not too close (so not to overload it/them, or bottom out the diaphragm (distortion/blah...) and give the wavelengths (particularly low end) time/space to develop (e.g. low bass notes are 32 feet long in the air)). In a studio scenario, I'd chase down the capture like every other instrument to get the best from what I have to work with.
I tend to record direct from MP2 cab sim outs into ProTools, but I monitor through the studio monitors so what I play (hear) is much what I get when I play it back. I also have my system set flat, no eq to the speakers. When I hear live recordings of my rig (again so gear/mic and expertise dependent (and mostly cam corders these days (so not great audio))) it sounds very different, for me typically more toppy than I'm hearing (and what you hear on stage depends where you stand with regard to your cabs, and partly why RabbidGerry experimented with foam in front of the speaker cones to disperse the sound better (he hates the "beaming")).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version