ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member intrigued with/looking for ADA STD-1  (Read 764 times)

fazeka

Hi all, new member here. I'm located in WA state.

Dante was nice enough to let me join the forum here! :) Thanks Dante! :thumb-up:

What initially brought me here was an interest in an ADA Stereo Tapped Delay (aka STD-1), studio version. I have a Ursa MSP-126 that I like and am looking for something similar (yet not). I think the STD-1 is exactly what I am looking for. I've already downloaded the manuals and have read about it's operation online.

Otherwise, I have yet to read more in this Discussion subforum but am looking forward to it (especially why there are no dates/times shown in the posts... ???).

Thanks y'all. Glad to be here!

Chris

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Chris, welcome to the depot  :thumb-up: :wave: .  Have a read of this post to fix time date format (https://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=568.15).
I notice you had some queries re 220v vs 117v versions etc.  ADA used specific voltage transformers in their gear for different markets, basically US 117v, Japan 110v and 220v everywhere else (Europe/Australia etc.)  If you can source the right voltage transformer for the unit you want (e.g. ADA STD-1) you can swap them.  Otherwise you either need to buy a unit with the correct transformer or use an external step up or step down transformer.
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hi Chris, welcome to the Forum :wave:

Good luck in your search for the STD-1. I see them on ebay and Reverb, but for what they are, they seem a bit pricey, (just my opinion).

MarshallJMP swears they are killer chorus effects though. So, it's all about what you're after.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

fazeka

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Rather use a native 110V unit. I'll be on the look-out. No real rush.

Would think most want the instrument version? How often do studio versions pop up for sale?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Chris,

On here they are pretty rare. They are pretty rare on sites like Reverb and Evil-bay too.

You know, there are alternatives to the STD-1. I have an early Eventide H3000 which I upgraded to the H3500. That has the Stereo Tapped Delays already included with the Version 1 to the present models, and these have greater range and control over the effect presets. You could probably find a similar one for sale at a price that would be less than you'd pay for the ADA unit if one ever comes up, and it would give you a lot more than just one set of parameters to work with.

Just food for thought there

Harley 8)

fazeka

Hi Harley,

So... I went to check out Eventide units like the H3000 and the H3500 online...

Not sure if I am looking at the right models but it seems the cheapest ones are coming in at the low $2k range? :o

Seems to me that if I wanted that STD-1 in Europe, I would be looking at almost $1k cheaper?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Chris,

Yes, that would be about right for a H-3000 in good condition. They are black 2U rack units with the yellow soft keys usually and they are upgradeable. They do hold their value quite well, and are definitely studio grade processors.

Finding a studio grade STD-1 will probably cost more than that, since they are very rare. Not as common as the instrument processors, and you see how much they are going for. IMHO, they just don't sound as good as the Eventide.

Harley 8)

fazeka

Harley,

OK! Food for thought, for sure.

Cheers,
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up