ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A tail of 3 guitars  (Read 16066 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
A tail of 3 guitars
« on: Time Format »

Ok so I just decided to plug in 3 guitars in a row just for the fun of it.... Same patch (my MP2 rhythm patch)
Started with Epiphone SG (has 2 Gibson 57 reissue PUs and all new hardware, and neck profiled ala Anderson (vneck) (I need to get this changed to resemble JPLP neck contour, works much better)). So through MP2, into studio monitors... fun.... Then went with Squire Strat upgrade, also quite enjoyable (nice bottom end BTW), SD PUs (little 59 and Hot rails) singing very well, then I plugged in the Anderson proam with Ultrasonics, melt me albeit they were a bit more middy than the SDs in the squire (which surprised me a little), but crap it's such a nice guitar to play and sings like a banchey (and basswood body...).

So a comment I would make at this point... You can take a cheap and cheerful guitar and turn it into a much better instrument (eg Epiphone SG and Squire Strat), and I've done this quite a few times, but a really good, well made (and typically quite expensive guitar) is actually worth it  :thumb-up: . The Anderson ProAm and the Custom Shop JPLP are just sooo special. If you can afford something like this, all I can say is typically it's worth it...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: A tail of 3 guitars
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I agree whole heartedly.  I played a second hand £70 guitar at my last gig and people told me my sound was great!!  It probably cost about £200 brand new 12 years ago!  I have only made one upgrade to this guitar, I put in a Dimarzio Super Distortion.  Believe it or not the locking trem is a licenced one.  It stays in tune enough for me (not with upward bend use which I never use anyways).  The saddles on this guitar are cheap pot metal!  I have not upgraded them yet, but I intend to!  However I have made the upgrades before and made the guitars worse so I am really thinking hard about swapping the saddles out for steel saddles.

I upgraded another Squier recently.  I took off the Floyd Rose II, hard to explain what floyd rose II that was on there as there have been several types through the years, some good and some bad.  I think mine is the one made in the schaller factory as it's nearly Identical. Anyways I put an actual schaller on this other squier and it was steel throughout.  I also then put in a dimarzio super distortion.  Well what can I say???  It sounds like shit.  Very thin sounding guitar.  No body to the sound.  It's bizarre as it now weighs a tonne with a bigger sustain block in there etc and all steel hardware but it's lacking in the low end and I dunno what to do.  I thought the dimarzio would have helped.  I might try a different pickup and see if it makes a difference.  I've a dimarzio D' Activator X I might try instead.  Real shame as this guitar has a lovely neck, nice unique finish and control configuration (only two knobs).  This is the only cheap guitar I have upgraded that doesn't sound great.

Other cheap guitars I own are upmarket squiers that where more expensive back in the day when first released but they didn't become to popular and then the models were canceled.  You can get these now from anywhere between £80-£200.  The guitars I'm talking about are the Squier Stagemasters and Squier Showmasters.  The thru neck Stagemasters, I've not upgraded as their pickups to me sound fine and their locking trems are also fine.  One of the Stagemasters I own I put on a brand new trem, purely because the old one was worn out with so much use.

Basically I agree as does my local luthier who buys cheap guitars and does them up!  I don't think I could spend £1000 on a guitar and I don't think I ever will!!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey RG and for the most part I totally agree with you, I've been doing up cheap and cheer fulls for a very long.. time. However, there is a marked difference when you go to the really expensive guitars, are they worth it ?, up to the individual, are they better, absolutely  :thumb-up: , is the extra cost worth it ? well again up to the individual, what I can say is they are way better guitars  :thumb-up: Can you make a cheep and cheerful play reasonably well, yes you can, but it will never be an Anderson or a Gibson custom shop JPLP etc..

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

HAHA you're back tracking a little Richard, you sound like in the beginning you can make cheap guitars as good as £1000 guitars.

I can't agree with you then as I don't believe £1000 guitar is gonna sound any better in relation to the price to quality ratio.  I've never played a £1000 guitar yet that I didn't have something I wanted to change about it so for me it's not worth it.  Up to individuals again but I'd rather buy a cheaper axe and customise.  I bet you £1000 you couldn't tell the difference between a cheap guitar that was upgraded and a stock £1000 guitar.  I can't test you with any of my axes because none cost £1000.  The Westone in it's condition is probably the most expensive I own.  It's may be £500-£600

And to boot, I never bought cheap guitars on purpose, I just happened gambled on some models and the gambles paid off.  It pays to research I guess as well and see what has been said about guitars that are cheap but people get good results out of them.  Initially my wallet dictated the first few guitars I ever bought, but some of those are now my most expensive lol like my Tokai Flyinv V and Mexican strat.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I'm on board with this concept

Once I got my first cheapo strat (Indonesian Squire with a very nice neck), I started wiring up my own guitars. After that, I started hunting down mid-range guitars for their better wood construction and cheap ass parts. Just replace the parts and you have a screaming guitar for a LOT less.

My goldtop is a perfect example. It cost me $350 with a case. I upgraded the pickups (SD Jazz/JB), pots (push/pull coil splitting), locking tuners, Tusq nut, and just for fun, a Stetsbar tremolo. That thing is MONEY

My flying V cost (again) $350. I upgraded the pickups, pots, jack and switch. It's a monster and I don't have to watch it like a hawk at gigs. Nobody is going to walk off with an Epi V...maybe if it was a Gibby. Plus, my Epiphone logo chipped off or something, it's now a Cphiphone  ;D

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, well sort of back tracking, I've only ever bought 2 really expensive guitars (Anderson and JPLP), all the rest are cheap guitars which I then did up. Although this can get a bit expensive depending on the parts you put on.  Though you seem to be pretty adept at getting really good deals on things  :thumb-up: .  The Squire strat is the first upgrade job I've done in ages and it was fun to do and turned out quite well (for what it is).  So a 1000 GBP guitar = a $2000 (ish) AUD guitar.  These aren't what I was alluding to, more the $7000 and up sorts of things that are particularly special (many of them aren't though IMHO).
And Dante raises a very salient point re having very expensive guitars at gigs, apparently Sweet used to use cheap guitars on the road because they kept on being stolen (and I'm sure they aren't alone).
I also agree that even with very expensive guitars you may want to change somethings (unless you went for a custom build and specified everything). E.g. I'm not particularly enamored with the "Burst Bucker" in the bridge of the JPLP, the 59 PAF in the neck pos I quite like.  Do I change out the burst bucker ? Anyway, buying that guitar was a total anomaly, partly because of what it is, how pretty the top is but I wouldn't have bought it if the neck hadn't been shaved, I love the contour and feel of it but in general, I don't like gibson necks (bit like baseball bats to me, but I know many do like them, each to their own...). 

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Plus, my Epiphone logo chipped off or something, it's now a Cphiphone  ;D

:lol:

I agree with you Dante completely.

Another thing that I have to add, I think customizing a cheaper or more affordable axe is something that suits me, as I want the guitar to be my own, just set for me.  I could never play a signature axe for example, even from my favourite players like K.K. Downing or Glenn Tipton.  This is just me but it might help understand why doing up a less expensive guitar makes more sense for me.  Of course I discovered this by accident as it was my wallet that dictated the price of my first guitar (a Korean Squier from 1996).

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey, I like that thread... Some of you who have checked my post on "axe pics"  know that I have a nice cool collection. But I got those instruments  for my personal pleasure most of all. Some People collect cars...Some others collect stamps...Myself, It's guitar,bass,ada stuff...  etc.

But, I have to confess : my main instruments are the cheap ones  for different good reasons :
-first, I afforded it a long time ago with the few money I had at that time
-second, I had to customized it to make it sound my way, and I'm still surprised  how easy it is to get the tone in recording situation while it's hard sometime with expensive instruments.
-third, like Dante, being a hawk at gig... noway!
-fourth, 'cause I just feel confortable with it.

My main guitar is a ibanez s5XX...whatever number 350$+sh4/tb4
My main bass is a yamaha attitude standard 250$+emg preamp

I never thought about selling it, because there is no money to make with. It's only sentimental value.
« Last Edit: Time Format by tomy »
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

That's cool Tomy!   :thumb-up:

You know when I play a gig sometimes and some guy in another band will come up to me and look at my guitar to see what I'm playing,  then quickly walk away when they see it's a Squier!  That attitude kills me lol

tomy

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

That's cool Tomy!   :thumb-up:

You know when I play a gig sometimes and some guy in another band will come up to me and look at my guitar to see what I'm playing,  then quickly walk away when they see it's a Squier!  That attitude kills me lol

Hey RG, your tokai flying V and your Westone maybe not expensive, but are really rare, and sound killer for sure.

I have something more to say : my Dad never was aware  of the differences between a  guitar and a bass,mandoline, banjo..., he is no musician and during 25 years he didn't care about my hobby.
Last year, I went to visit my parents. My Dad came with an old cheap copy of precision bass and offered me as little gift (50$).
But then I realize :
-it took me couple of day working to get enough money to afford my most expensive instrument.
-But it took me 25 years to get that 50 bucks bass, and that why I love this bass

It sounds good, it plays pretty well... and once in a while, I use it on stage :thumb-up:

ARSENAL :

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Well the westone would be one of my most expensive guitars.  It's rare and collectible and also in really good condition and all original.  I really need to pot the pickup on that guitar.

The Tokai Flying V would be somewhere in between that and my cheapest guitars, it's a really well made guitar.  I still have original pickups in as well, keep thinking about putting a DP100 in there.  I upgraded the tuners and Bridge.

They cost about this much http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/222046912983?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1007282&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-131843263986&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=122

There is a made in Jap version which is about £900.  I can't afford that lol  So the FV40 is about the same as a mexican strat.  Mind you a mexican strat will cost more with an FR on there, like mine did.

I have this bass!! I love it!!  If I could get a pickup to fit it I would may be upgrade.  I have no knowledge of bassk pickups really though and I dunno what I would want if I were to replace.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cort-E-Bass-Action-Junior-High-Shine/dp/B007SUQV9O

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I get this sometimes, usually with the Ibanez Les Paul or the aforementioned Cphiphone Vee. Guitar SNOBBERY!!

Cool story Tomy  :thumb-up:

tomy

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Thank you Dante !

I have this bass!! I love it!!  If I could get a pickup to fit it I would may be upgrade.  I have no knowledge of bassk pickups really though and I dunno what I would want if I were to replace.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cort-E-Bass-Action-Junior-High-Shine/dp/B007SUQV9O

Hey RG, as I understand it's a passive bass (volume+tone) like my yamaha was before. So just replace the tone pot by EMG BTC stacked pot, you will get Lou Ferrigno's bass ! :thumb-up:

Just make sure to have enough room for the battery.

ARSENAL :

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I get this sometimes, usually with the Ibanez Les Paul or the aforementioned Cphiphone Vee. Guitar SNOBBERY!!

Cool story Tomy  :thumb-up:

Hey man, that pisses me off!!  It is snobbery.  I find it exists a lot with guitar people.  The one time I remember this the most was when I was doin a show in quite a prestigious venue here in Belfast, called the Ulster Hall.  I never thought I would play this venue in a million years but I got the chance to when an opportunity came up to represent an unsigned act for a 6 band show case consisting of signed acts and unsigned acts.   I was setting up for sound check and a guitarist from one of the "signed acts" came over to look at my guitar, I could see he was curious and probably thought I was playing some 80's Charvel or Kramer.  He knelt down and looked at the headstock and seemed like he was about to say "oh are you playing a...... no it's a Squier"  then walked away.  I read the situation without even speaking to him.  He was about to strike up a conversation until he realised what I was playing.  I'm not even going to say what he was playing as some people might get offended as they have a similar guitar, but you couldn't pay me enough to play the stupid looking axe he had.

Anyways screw that!  Some younger kids come up to me and initially are surprised I'm playing a Squier but they don't react with the same snobbery, they seem to take it onboard like "oh shit this guy sounds good, what's he using?  A Squier Showmaster?  Dam I gotta look out for one of them me thinks"   :)

I received a lot of compliments about my tone last gig I played at Easter, all the young kids.  Some said we had the best sound of the day, someone said "it sounded like a CD playing".  I think this was the stereo effects.  Must have made an impact  :o

Hey Tomy, I was hoping you had another suggestion for bass pickups?  Never been into Active pups, batteries and shit!  That's a pain in the ass!  Any other suggestions?  I can only use something that will fit in that cavity as well so it will need to be right size.  It's a mightey mite soap bar pup in their currently.  It's ok but I find the trebel side are always louder than the bass side and this pisses me off  >:(
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I totally agree on upgrading a cheaper axe. I bought my ESP for like $300 new it had shitty ESP pickups in it originally. I bought because I liked the neck and the feel of it. It is well balanced and not too heavy. At first I put a Super Distortion in it. A major improvement but not exactly what I wanted, so then I put a JB trembucker in it. Holy shit!!! that's the tone I wanted. Kinda like a ESP Lynch model with screaming demons in it. So now my $300 cheapo sounds like a $1000 axe! My Jackson's weren't cheap, Especially my USA made Soloist with EMG's and it's probably only my third favorite out of the 4. I actually like my cheap ESP better.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up