ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 value...  (Read 1176 times)

vmaxvmax

MP1 value...
« on: Time Format »

Anyone have a good idea what an MP1 is worth? - I am pondering selling mine to go towards a Les Paul but prices on eBay and Reverb seem all over the place...

Mine is a later (no switch on top)version with firmware 2.01, 240v with JMP's noise mods, tidy.

I am not yet sure about selling but a realistic idea of its value may help me decide...

Any clues what I should ask for?

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: MP1 value...
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

That's a good question - as you say, prices are all over the map. I say, get as much as you can, while you can. If there is a sudden glut of MP1s on Reverb and they're all overpriced, start up your ad with a slightly lower price (it'll probably still be double what you paid for it)

Go get your Les Paul
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

vmaxvmax

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thank you Dante for your answer and encouragement!

I can’t even remember what I paid when I bought it new all those years ago! I chose the MP1 plus  ADA B200 and a Marshall 4 x 12 over a Mesa Boogie mk4 after a music shop allowed me to take it all home for a weekend in order to decide!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Well new (back in the day) they were very expensive.  IIRC back in the late 80's I paid over $1500 AUD for my MP-1 (pretty much the first one in Australia), the present day value of that is over $4000AUD.  You also need to consider that you are selling the later hardware version (no top switch or line level rear jack), the last EPROM available (2.01) and noise mods all done (so value added, nothing much for buyer to do/spend on it, (BTW is the battery mod done??) except maybe Tubes).   
Just had a look at reverb and evilbay listings, they are all north of $1000 USD and, from others' experience, the price doesn't grantee a good one.

My guess is 1200 Eros (since your in France?) is a fair price.  :wave: However, I would hold onto it so you've got something awesome to play your new LP through and find something else to sell to help that purchase. IMHO, the ADA preamps are "still" the best available (albeit 2nd hand now).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vmaxvmax

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Well new (back in the day) they were very expensive.  IIRC back in the late 80's I paid over $1500 AUD for my MP-1 (pretty much the first one in Australia), the present day value of that is over $4000AUD.  You also need to consider that you are selling the later hardware version (no top switch or line level rear jack), the last EPROM available (2.01) and noise mods all done (so value added, nothing much for buyer to do/spend on it, (BTW is the battery mod done??) except maybe Tubes).   
Just had a look at reverb and evilbay listings, they are all north of $1000 USD and, from others' experience, the price doesn't grantee a good one.

My guess is 1200 Eros (since your in France?) is a fair price.  :wave: However, I would hold onto it so you've got something awesome to play your new LP through and find something else to sell to help that purchase. IMHO, the ADA preamps are "still" the best available (albeit 2nd hand now).

Thank you for your helpful reply! I had forgotten how expensive it was!

Yes, I have also done the battery mod.

I do have some misgivings about whether or not to sell the MP1 but in reality I only use it occasionally. My rack with MP1, Alesis Quadraverb, Rocktron Xpression and Marshall 9100 with 4 x 12 just sit gathering dust as nowadays I just use my self built 18 watt Marshall clone.

I am still undecided…

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Nice MP-1 rig  :thumb-up:

vmaxvmax

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Nice MP-1 rig  :thumb-up:

Thank you - yes, but bulky...

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey vmaxvmax,

I've been watching this thread and I think it's time to speak up about a possibility that could happen; Seller's Remorse.

You've got a decent little rack rig there that can give you all kinds of different amp/effect tones when you want them. If the 18 watt plexi is the only tone you want, then you may seriously think about selling your MP-1. If there is a possibility that you may get the urge to go with an amp tone that is completely different, and you have already sold the MP-1, then you won't have that option available and that's when you'll feel the first pangs of seller's remorse.

I'm only throwing this out there because I've been there. Not just with amplifiers, but guitars too. I've sold off a LOT of tube amps that I had and sometimes I wish I had kept one or two of them. MP-1s, I've sold many of them, and right after I did, I ended up buying another to replace it. I have every ADA preamp these days, and I don't think of selling them anymore because I know better. Each one has a different character than the others, and when I want a specific amp tone, I can get it. No matter what amp tone it is. I have several modeling amplifiers these days that I mess around with, and they're good, but not quite as good as my ADA gear.

Just something to think about

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

vmaxvmax

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey vmaxvmax,

I've been watching this thread and I think it's time to speak up about a possibility that could happen; Seller's Remorse.

You've got a decent little rack rig there that can give you all kinds of different amp/effect tones when you want them. If the 18 watt plexi is the only tone you want, then you may seriously think about selling your MP-1. If there is a possibility that you may get the urge to go with an amp tone that is completely different, and you have already sold the MP-1, then you won't have that option available and that's when you'll feel the first pangs of seller's remorse.

I'm only throwing this out there because I've been there. Not just with amplifiers, but guitars too. I've sold off a LOT of tube amps that I had and sometimes I wish I had kept one or two of them. MP-1s, I've sold many of them, and right after I did, I ended up buying another to replace it. I have every ADA preamp these days, and I don't think of selling them anymore because I know better. Each one has a different character than the others, and when I want a specific amp tone, I can get it. No matter what amp tone it is. I have several modeling amplifiers these days that I mess around with, and they're good, but not quite as good as my ADA gear.

Just something to think about

Harley 8)
Hey, thank you for your thoughts Harley!

Over the years I sold two early 60’s AC30’s (at different times) and often regretted that…

So yes, I don’t want to regret anything later.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Wise words Harley +1  :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Not so much wisdom as it is experience Richard,
If I may remind you, just a little over a year ago...the guitar I bought that I used to own two of. 1983 Stratocaster Elite.

I missed those guitars so much after I sold both of them, that I bought one exactly like one of the ones I sold, it cost me over four times what I paid for the other ones. It's experience, but it cost me.  :facepalm:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, well to some extent wisdom is informed by experience (wisdom: the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement)... (experience certainly rubs it in LoL).  Thanks for the reminder, I do remember and empathise  :wave: .

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Richard,

I'm kind of finding myself in that situation right now once again. I'm thinking of selling my 2007 VG Stratocaster, which is the newest USA made Strat I have. There's nothing wrong with it at all in fact, it's a very good quality built guitar with a lot of extra features that you don't get in a stock Stratocaster. I just had it professionally overhauled and set up at Lay's Guitar Shop last month, and the action is perfect. It plays like a dream, and holds it's tuning very well.
   The reason I'm thinking of selling it is because I also have a 2016 CG-1 Roland ready Strat. That is a MIM Strat that is already set up with the GK-3 pickup and electronics. I can buy a Boss GP-10 and plug it into that guitar and it will give me all that I get out of the VG Strat, and a lot more. That would also be an excellent fly-rig too for places that won't let me bring an amplifier. Having that rig kind of makes the VG Strat a bit redundant, which is why I'm thinking of selling it.

Here's the dilemma: while the CG-1 offers me all the versatility I could possibly want in a guitar, the build quality isn't as good as the USA guitar. I've had to replace the tuning machines, the bridge, the nut and the pickups. The neck on the CG-1 is more like the vintage neck profiles which I prefer over the modern "C" shape. However, I've been checking out the newer Fender USA guitars, and it seems like the quality has been slipping again at Fender. So...what do I do here? Keep it and just use it as a stock Strat, or sell it since I already have two others like that with vintage neck profiles?

I've come to the conclusion that if I have any doubts about selling something that really can deliver flawlessly when I need it, then don't sell it because there's a good possibility I'll regret it. It's the same way with amps and effects.

Harley 8)

vmaxvmax

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Richard,

I'm kind of finding myself in that situation right now once again. I'm thinking of selling my 2007 VG Stratocaster, which is the newest USA made Strat I have. There's nothing wrong with it at all in fact, it's a very good quality built guitar with a lot of extra features that you don't get in a stock Stratocaster. I just had it professionally overhauled and set up at Lay's Guitar Shop last month, and the action is perfect. It plays like a dream, and holds it's tuning very well.
   The reason I'm thinking of selling it is because I also have a 2016 CG-1 Roland ready Strat. That is a MIM Strat that is already set up with the GK-3 pickup and electronics. I can buy a Boss GP-10 and plug it into that guitar and it will give me all that I get out of the VG Strat, and a lot more. That would also be an excellent fly-rig too for places that won't let me bring an amplifier. Having that rig kind of makes the VG Strat a bit redundant, which is why I'm thinking of selling it.

Here's the dilemma: while the CG-1 offers me all the versatility I could possibly want in a guitar, the build quality isn't as good as the USA guitar. I've had to replace the tuning machines, the bridge, the nut and the pickups. The neck on the CG-1 is more like the vintage neck profiles which I prefer over the modern "C" shape. However, I've been checking out the newer Fender USA guitars, and it seems like the quality has been slipping again at Fender. So...what do I do here? Keep it and just use it as a stock Strat, or sell it since I already have two others like that with vintage neck profiles?

I've come to the conclusion that if I have any doubts about selling something that really can deliver flawlessly when I need it, then don't sell it because there's a good possibility I'll regret it. It's the same way with amps and effects.

Harley 8)

True! A good yardstick.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, if it were me, I'd keep the 2007 VG.  But then I've only ever sold one guitar and still regret it  :facepalm: . But of course money comes into it.  I sold my original MP-1 rig to MikeB (I kept the Quadverb) years ago so I could afford the MP-2 when it came, only because that's the only way I could afford to back then. I also sold a 100w Marshall Artist head, which I was using to run stereo before I got the MP-1 rig sorted with a B200s and I wasn't particularly "attached" to it,  and bought a pair of Split Stacks.

Seems, from what you are saying, you are having doubts, so obviously keep it  :thumb-up:

I'm deliberating over my Squire bullet strat at the moment, I changed all the hardware (tuners, bridge, nut, PUs, pots (to push pull), super switch (so its like LP switching i.e. middle poss is bridge and neck PU) and the B and N pickup have their own push pull  (series/parallel) vol control.  But the neck is large(ish) C profile which I don't like (I prefer a soft V) and I'd like to put stainless steel frets in it.  If I had a work bench set up I'd reshape the neck and refret it, but I don't so I've been thinking of buying a premade neck....  But the idea of throwing way an ok neck bothers me.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up