ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: dealing with GAS  (Read 107680 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: dealing with GAS
« Reply #75 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai,

If it;s the reverb you are going for, then you want the PCM 91, which is a slightly augmented version of the PCM 90. The PCM 80, and PCM 81 are basically the modern updates of the PCM 70.
   The PCM 70 featured a few reverb settings but it was mostly a multi-effects signal processor that has chorus, flange, delay simulated stereo imaging, phasing, and compression effects.

These were great studio processors, but in a live guitar rack it was pretty much limited to only a few useful effects combinations. There is only a mono input and dual mono outputs on the PCM 70.
    The PCM 80 has all the original PCM 70 effects chains plus a few more, and features a dual processor engine, so now you can have a stereo input and stereo outputs as well. Still. the reverbs are limited to the same few that were in the PCM 70. This is why the PCM 80, and PCM 90 were released at the same time. One was a multi-effects processor, while the other was a reverb processor.

I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #76 on: Time Format »

Well Chamai you are right about those 2290's they stay quite expensive.(around 1000 euro's over here).

Harley, how would you compare the reverbs from the PCM series to the MPX-1?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #77 on: Time Format »

Accidentally bought a furman this week and I accidentally  :lol:

won a Kitty Hawk Quattro on ebay for £112 complete with footswitch

:facepalm:

GAS
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #78 on: Time Format »

If I recall the quote from Reb Beach correctly; Kitty Hawk made one great rackmount, and everything else was shit, yielding the pet-name "Shitty Hawk" from the Winger road crew   :lol:
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #79 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP,

The MPX series was released at the same time as the PCM 80/90, and it was the successor to the LPX series processors. In the 90's after Harman Group bought Lexicon, they went with dual processor engines in all the rackmount effects which used one processor for the reverb effects and the other for the modulation and time based effects.
    The result was more transparent effects than in the earlier versions. The reverb effects in the MPX-1 are basically the same as the PCM-80, the only differences are the arrangements of some of the effects chains in the PCM-80. The MPX has a smaller DSP engine for the modulation/time-based effects, and what you have in the MPX is all you have to work with.
   The PCM series at that time featured something new which was the addition of the memory card slot on the front panel. The PCM has a bigger DSP processor which gave the PCM-80 longer delay times, and the ability to split the delays into two separate channels in the effects chains, and the ability to parallel the modulation and time effects with the reverb effects, and send each to separate outputs from the PCM.
   The memory cards were intended to offer upgrades to the PCM models instead of having to swap IC chips on the boards, as well as new effects groups for the PCM series, but I never saw more than two new memory cards for the PCM-80/90 back then before the models were upgraded to the 81/91 models, then discontinued.
    Personally, I wanted the reverb effects from the Lexicons so I went with the MPX which was $1500 cheaper than the PCM 80 at the time. IIRC, when I auditioned both units in the shop, I liked the factory presets better in the MPX-1 than in the PCM-80 as far as the reverb effects were concerned. They sounded more like they were set up to just add to my effects chain and just go, whereas the PCM-80 factory presets sounded like they needed to be edited before they could be practical in the effects chain. One thing I  always do when I'm shopping for a new effects processor, is to try and edit or modify a program there in the store, to see how easy it is to do, and I wasn't getting anywhere with the PCM-80. None of the sales people knew how to get into it either, and they brought out the manual which I thought was an encyclopedia book. So obviously, I went with the MPX.

Harley

Chamai

« Reply #80 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai,

If it;s the reverb you are going for, then you want the PCM 91, which is a slightly augmented version of the PCM 90. The PCM 80, and PCM 81 are basically the modern updates of the PCM 70.
   The PCM 70 featured a few reverb settings but it was mostly a multi-effects signal processor that has chorus, flange, delay simulated stereo imaging, phasing, and compression effects.

These were great studio processors, but in a live guitar rack it was pretty much limited to only a few useful effects combinations. There is only a mono input and dual mono outputs on the PCM 70.
    The PCM 80 has all the original PCM 70 effects chains plus a few more, and features a dual processor engine, so now you can have a stereo input and stereo outputs as well. Still. the reverbs are limited to the same few that were in the PCM 70. This is why the PCM 80, and PCM 90 were released at the same time. One was a multi-effects processor, while the other was a reverb processor.

thanks for the write up.
i bought the pcm 81 because it was the only one at our local chain music store. i have not seen these units on craigslist or at any store before. i mean these things go for quite a bit of money so finding one locally is a bit hard. i was just browsing the used section of our local chain music store and toronto store just put up a pcm81. i did some research and decide to buy it blindly. it's a bitch to program

i gonna try to get a 80's shimmer patch going. apparently someone on HRI mastered programming these units. that person has a website so i will prob pay him for his patches. this thing makes no sense. or im just fxcking stupid.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chamai

« Reply #81 on: Time Format »

Well Chamai you are right about those 2290's they stay quite expensive.(around 1000 euro's over here).

i don't think they are true stereo too. prob have to buy 2? ahaha

these things can crap out anytime and no one can fix it.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #82 on: Time Format »

I had an MPX1 for a while, the reverbs on it were very tasty! Unfortunately  I felt it lacked on everything else, and it wasn't very user friendly.
On the 2290, man I would love one of those! I see them going for $800 -$1000 here in the States.

Some others on my wish list :
Roland Dimension D.
Mesa Triaxis
JCM 800
TC G-System
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #83 on: Time Format »

If I recall the quote from Reb Beach correctly; Kitty Hawk made one great rackmount, and everything else was shit, yielding the pet-name "Shitty Hawk" from the Winger road crew   :lol:

I haven't read that they made one great rack mount, but I have heard the name "shitty hawk" before due to reliability issues not sound quality.

But I've read quit a bit about the Quattro and Testarossa being good preamps.  Also about a few of their amps being good as well.  Since I'm not into amps I've been on the lookout for a Quattro for a while.  Reb Beach and Winger is not a selling point for me  :lol:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #84 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai,

Don't feel bad dude! Lexicon has always been one of the more complicated programmable units to understand, and even though I have enough knowledge about them to eventually figure out how to get what I want out of them, I still don't understand how they do things completely.
    I never looked at the PCM 81 so I don't know what they added to the PCM 80. As I said in my last post, I wanted to try a bit of editing in the PCM 80 in the store, but no one knew anything about it there. The Lexicon designers who came up with the programming in these units might have been drinking mushroom tea when they designed it :dunno:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #85 on: Time Format »

What do you mean by "these things"? the 2290 or the pcm?

Chamai

« Reply #86 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai,

Don't feel bad dude! Lexicon has always been one of the more complicated programmable units to understand, and even though I have enough knowledge about them to eventually figure out how to get what I want out of them, I still don't understand how they do things completely.
    I never looked at the PCM 81 so I don't know what they added to the PCM 80. As I said in my last post, I wanted to try a bit of editing in the PCM 80 in the store, but no one knew anything about it there. The Lexicon designers who came up with the programming in these units might have been drinking mushroom tea when they designed it :dunno:
im gonna spend the whole day tomorrow going over the manual again. i wish they had a youtube vid that guides the user on what most of this shit really mean.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chamai

« Reply #87 on: Time Format »

What do you mean by "these things"? the 2290 or the pcm?

the tc2290

pcm 80/81 should still be repairable
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #88 on: Time Format »

I think the pcm is a lot harder to repair then the tc. The pcm is DSP based while the tc is not. Also a lot of SMD stuff in the PCM.

vansinn

« Reply #89 on: Time Format »

An added benefit to the 2290 is the build-in analog routing/patch bay; don't recall how many connections, think it's 4 or 5, all mono IIRC.  Just might mean not having to shop a patch/router for the couple of pedals you can't live without..

Unrelated and OT: Methinks Petrucci sounded better with 2290, Lexicon and Eventide than with Fractal.
« Last Edit: Time Format by van Sinn »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23   Go Up