ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lexicon MPX G2 / R1 with Ada MP1 - help with MIDI  (Read 17154 times)

gb

Wow thanks harley!! As i was reading your reply it reminded me to ask... you mentioned controller 32 is used to select te banks. As part of the setups one of the parameters ask if i want to use 0,32 or 032. I didnt know what this means. Can you go into a bit of detail on this specifically. What is a controller referring to and why is it 32 as an example..i see in the manual says i cannhave a few controllers..is the R1 a controll. ill continue reading

gb

Ok read through. Thanks for time to type all that. Makes sense. Yes i worked out the banks and understood.

Good tip about having different bands under different banks and also to lay it all out.

But if i understand correctly, i still need a" program" patch which holds the all device changes correct?. Im interpretting this in a hierarchical way. ?

Honestly a little excited that im understanding. Ive only recently been asked to fill in a few easy coverbands which tones vary so really need to utilize my gear to work for me.

Edit.. im sure ive seen the term prgm chains in tge G2 menu

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hi gb,

Yes, the manual does refer to controller 32, and I believe it is a system controller message that would be in Setups. I'll have to read my manual a bit more to find out for sure. Right now, I'm getting ready for work so I'll get to that when I get home.

Your program "patch" will be what you store in the R1 in any specific preset bank. That's how you'll recall which combination of pre-amp tones and effects you'll want to use in any given situation.

If you have Program Chains in the G2, then this will allow you to select any of the presets in the G2's memory and add them as "links" in the chain. Then, when you want a certain group of effects to switch between, you'll be able to pgm+ or pgm- through the chain with your R1 controller while your playing. That's why I suggested writing it down on paper how you want to organize it.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hi gb,

Okay, I got into the manual to try to figure out what in hell they were talking about. Here's what I've found out; the Controller 32 they refer to is a MIDI controller. This is in the Dynamic MIDI section and in the Implementation Chart. So if I understand this correctly, you can assign MIDI controller 32 to a footswitch, and toggle through all 3 MIDI maps. Then your R1, can select 0-127 through each map, which doesn't make sense, since there are only 100 locations in the first two maps and 50 in the third.
  Theoretically, if you can toggle into a map, you should be able to call up any program in that map by pressing the location number on your R1 pedalboard. That would seem to make sense.

If the G2 is setup in the same way as the MPX-1, you can create program chains, by building a chain with up to 10 programs in it. Whether you choose some of the programs that are already in the G2, or create your own custom programs which you can save in the User Presets, ( Bank 3 - 201-250), you can add any of these in a program chain, and save it. I'm not sure how many chains you can create in the G2, but in the MPX-1, you can create 10.
    After creating a program chain, you can change the way you access the programs by changing the Database sorting options.
   To do this you press the Program button on the front panel, (with the Value button off), then press Options. The Options LED will blink and show a screen that looks something like this:
                         Sort programs
                         by number
 Use the knob or the <and>buttons to eslect any of the main sorting options below:
name
number
source type
    (Acoustic, Drums, Guitar, Keyboard, Live PA, Tempo, Sound FX, Vocal)
effect type
    (Pitch, Chorus, EQ, Mod, Delay, Reverb: Plate, Hall, Inverse, Gate, Dual)
source & effect type
    (any combination of source and effect types)
members of MIDI maps
members of pgm chains
last 10 programs loaded

Press Options again to return to Program mode with the Database sorted to show only those programs that fit the criteria you've selected. If you select  any sorting option other than name or number,  the displayed selection of programs will be limited to those that fit the category you've selected.

This seems to be by far, the easiest way to get the programs you want to set up in "Patches" to be made available to you quickly.
1) Create or pick the effects you want to use.
2) Save them in Program Chains, (or banks, which is essentially what you are creating).
3) Edit your Database sorting options to "members of program chains."
4) Set up your banks of tones and effects in your R1.
5) Go have a lot of fun playing your guitar, and above all, have another beer :lol:

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Controller 32 is a bit of a standard when it comes to bank selection.My TC g-force also has it, this way I can scroll to the RAM card I have in it with more presets.

gb

Thanks guys for the info and explanations.

Im starting to see the power of midi and in particular how complex the lexicon can be or how complex you can make it. For im not particular with too specific details and i tend to use existing presets and only tweak a touch. For the moment anyway until i want more out of the unit.

So i read the manual AGAIN (many times now). and maybe its my lack of experience and terms used in this area but i feel that the manual isnt structured too well or from a user perspective, more so just what features are in there. Again maybe its just the way my brain works. I think its layed out fine but doesnt put anything into perspective in real life situations. Perhaps they could put real examples for different typical scenarios and reference each step to a page where you can learn more about it. Anyway i guess it is "pro" gear for guys who already know this stuff.

Soooo worked it out. I now know how to configure a "setup" which loads an effect patch on the lexicon and preset on the ada mp1. it was quite simple to do, i did it in 15sec once i knew what i was doing haha.

such a simple common feature! now that i have this i can configure a bunch of "setups" for various songs or set lists etc. I might use the example of having a bank for each band.

This is soo cool! Once im comfortable with all of this, i think i would like to understand effects more so i can tweak them. I saw a def leppard tribute band last night and the guitar sounded awesome with all the delay effects etc. So id like to understand these some more and i can use them in my own live situations.

One step at a time.

Thanks again for your help guys. Ill be sure to ask if i run into some snags or require more understanding!!!

next on the list:

-  is getting the levels right in the 4 cable method (pre and post)

-  and do you guys have a "solo" patch/preset? as in when solo time do you boost your signal and if so how exactly? just volume? extra gain? do you just have what you need in the patch already and just turn the guitar vol down a touch for rhythm and then solo you turn the gtr volume up?

whats the go here? ive never done any of that before and just been that 1 patch guy and just played appropriately to the song with dynamics (play hard or softly) but ive seen guys switch to solo patches etc. ?

what advise or discussion can be had on this topic and say more direct with the gear im using (soldano pre, ada mp1 pre and lexicon g2). what would you recommend i do using this gear? I know the lexicon has built in analog pedals (copies of ts9 , OD etc) .. would i use this? ADA MP1 is midi so maybe just a seperate patch that has a little more volume? the soldano pre isnt midi so its a 1 trick pony. .maybe a pedal in front to boost (from the lexicon?..but when ive tried that it just gets all feedbacky and noisy).

suggestions? thoughts?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hi gb,

Fortunately with the Lexicon gear, many of the factory presets are very usable with little or no tweaking. (I'm referring to the MPX-1 in this case, so I imagine the MPX effects section of your G2 would be similar in that respect).
   I completely agree that the user manual is very lacking in the important details that someone would need as a newcomer to Lexicon effects. The MPX series, is much different from the older LXP line which it replaced. I have a LXP-15 II, and the programming is much less complex and straight forward. It does take some prior knowledge with MIDI-based equipment, and other Lexicon gear to understand the MPX gear, but there is still a learning curve for the experienced.
   In regards to your query about having a solo preset, yes, many people do that, and I'm one of them. I usually take a tone that I'm using in a program patch and bump the Master in my ADA preamp up anywhere from 3-10 db, depending on the actual tone I have programmed in and/or the style of music I happen to be playing. Some need more of a boost, others less. But this is because I'm using my preamps as all of the main tones for the guitar. I do not have any type of DSP's with guitar based effects like stomp boxes programmed into them. Each of my effects devices are just dedicated to specific effects like Chorus, Flange, Delay, Harmonizer, and Reverb. So for me, it's more practical to use the preamp for the boost, since all the clean, crunch, overdrive, and distortion tones come from there.
   In your case, you can use your preamps if you like, of you can create a preset for solos in the G2 using the stomp box effects in there, and  you can adjust the output level from the G2 as another means of doing this. You have a few more options to do this than I do, and it all depends on what sounds good to your ears. This is where you'll have to sit down with your gear and get into some experimentation on your own. Try a bunch of different ways of doing that with your effects, and also, try to do it with the guitar volume backed off on your rhythm, but turned up for the solo. That can also give you a whole new range of dynamics for your solo by itself.
   There is no "best" way, or "one" way of doing this, there are a lot of ways to do what you want, and it all boils down to taking the time to find out what works best for you. Playing the guitar, is a unique and personal experience for each one of us here, and our playing defines us as individuals just like out personalities do. Our playing is just an extension of who we are.
   Have a marvelous time experimenting and creating, and playing your guitar!

Harley 8)

gb

Ok cool!!

Still getting familiar with terms..but i used the post gain mix level on the g2 to increase the volume by the suggested db you mentioned. I think i did 4db or something.

Its amazing how it feels to have that understanding of your gear. Im doing as suggested..different banks for different bands s no confusion on my part. I wrote them down.. heaps i wanna do but ill keep it simple and keep a cheat sheet so i know how each ia configured. What i did notice and i love about the lexicon..is that a clean patch can bypass any preamp and just go straight to the Poweramp or  to the console  (with a speaker sim).. this is great for me cause im not a fan of the soldano clean.. its sterile.. but a few effects and straight to the PA sounds rich and full. Of course the ada mp1 has awesome SS cleans just the same but no need for a clean preset if iget what i want direct.. anyway ..finding many things usefulll and configurable.

One thing i wonder. . Without using a amp switcher or patch loop..can i use 2 mono pre amps at the same time with the G2..ie one in L and one in R.. actually no.. it would need 2 sends wouldnt it.. i was trying to see if i could hook both up considering the guitar input is via the g2.

Anyway next is getting levels right..i seem to be clipping (red light) on the g2.. and noticed when i roll off the volume on gtr there is a lag in guitar response (not when guitar vol is up) .. when i bypass effects/g2 everything is fine.. i wonder if thats cause of the effects.. or whether levels arent correct in 4ch mode. Ill run through the manual again.

I think the mpx1 and g2 are the same (i can confirm prgam chains are there) but the g2 just has the stomp box copies

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hi gb,

I'm glad you are getting what you are looking for out of your gear, and I agree, that sense of accomplishment is an awesome feeling when everything comes together!
    It's a good idea to have all your presets and programs written down on paper, just in case something happens and all your program memories get wiped out. It's not something that happens often, but I have had situations in the past where goofy electrical sources in some bars did cause my gear to become un-responsive, even with a power conditioner in the rack. A quick power off, and power on again will usually reboot everything, but just in case it doesn't...
   As for the idea of using two preamps in parallel, I can't answer that, since you are using a signal path that is opposite of how I use mine. I'm not exactly sure what your signal path is to and from each device, but your input is in the G2 and the preamps are fed from the G2, so it might work, The only thing I see that may be a problem is that you might encounter phasing between the two preamps.
   My basic set up is to use the preamp for my main sound and my effects are in the effects loops with the Lexicons typically at the end of the effects chain, because that's where I want my Reverb effect to be in relation to any other effects in the signal chain. The only other variation I've used is to have the Lexicon between the preamp out and the poweramp in, when I'm only going to use Reverb-based effects from the Lexicon. I just stick with what is known as a "daisy-chain" signal path since that works for me.
  I did try to use two preamps in parallel one time, and had a problem with phasing between the MP-1 and MP-1 Classic/MP-2. The MP-1 paralleled with either of these other two had an undesirable phasing effect happening, but the Classic and MP-2 didn't do this. Since I was in a rehearsal situation at the time, I didn't have time to isolate the problem, and later I removed the MP-1 from the setup.
   As for your solo boost set up, you might just have to adjust the input gain for the boosted signal at the G2 for the solo preset. I've never used the 4 cable method, so I'm no help there.
   Yes, I thought the MPX-1 and G2 were basically the same with the only difference being the stomp box modelling. That's why I didn't get a G2.

Harley 8)

gb

Thanks mate.. really starting to understand this beast on a basic level and its awesome.

I have a question for eveyone. Ill keep it in this thread asit relates to the G2 somewhat.

Im still learning my theory but can someone tell me what harmony is this and how to produce it.

So if im playing the top guitar.. what harmony is the bottom guitar... looks the like g2 can harmonise.. id love to replicate the sound with one guitar.. but ineed helo with the theory. Key is d major but Looks the solo jumps between Key is D major and minor

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up