ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitech GSP1101  (Read 5184 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Digitech GSP1101
« on: Time Format »

I tried one of these awhile back and didn't care much for it. This past week I revisited the 1101 unit. After updating to the C63 update and running it with my MP1 in it's loop I have changed my opinion on it. My only issues with is only being able to use 1 modulation effect at a time and the Mesa amp sims don't sound the greatest. On the plus side the effects sound great and the Roland JC120 sim sounds outstanding!! :thumb-up: I use mostly my MP1 for my preamp tones with the exception of a few amp sims that sound authentic. I use my ADA cabs for all presets no cab sims. I could do a whole gig with just these two units. :amaze: For some reason (maybe the updates helped) I am just blown away by the tones I am getting. :metal:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Digitech GSP1101
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Cool  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Yeah, well, it may be said to have a certain lack of flexibility, in that it's routing engine cannot stack up processing in parallel, or can't reroute, that is, arrange effects in blocks that can be linked in desired order. And some types, or groups if you will, of effects cannot be used simultaneously.

Still, it's quite a well-featured device, and the shortcomings in the impulse/IR section were overcome when Stan added the ability to load one's own IR's, so that's the way to do it.

I'm selling mine, not because I find it a crap device, just not what I wanted.
I'll call it a pretty flexible device at quite a fair price.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

That's awesome, Soloist

Pretty amazing how good our tones can be with an ADA preamp and a simple FX device. While my unit (Boss GX-700) allows rearranging of FX, I have yet to utilize that feature - haven't needed to ;)

I never get tired of getting compliments for tone! I love how people look at the guitar first, thinking it's really surprising that great tone is coming from a Squire (Or cheap Ibby, or whatever). I just show them the rack and most guys look at it like it's some sort of Voodoo - haha. They're used to the myriad of stomp boxes they run, so my foot pedal confuses them. Hilarous

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

It's interesting how the cycles go over the years. Best thing I ever did was gravitate to a rack setup, got rid of all the pedals and wall warts. I still like my Quadverb, though these days I just use some mild shortish delay and reverb and 3 or 4 patches on the MP2.  And like most of us it seems, I get complemented on the tone. Running stereo makes a big difference (as we all know  >:D ).  And while the Squire Strat sounds much better after the upgrade, it sounded fine through the MP2 stock (bog) standard.

It's been interesting being involved in Mikes journey, he likes to explore his GMaj and gets some really nice FX.  These days for me, simple is good.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Yup, less indeed can be more, meaning that it's absolutely possible to overdo the effects.
I restarted playing December 2006, and initially used 'just' an MP-2 with a Behringer R-100 reverb pedal in the loop; sounded pretty pretty.
I went on to the MP-2 with a Digitech TSR-24S in the loop, but use only a fraction of it's capabilities - except when emulating keyboard/organ, or trying to sound like a venerable distended womanizer ;)

Back on topic with the GSP 1101..  as I wrote, it may have some routing shortcomings, but then again, what is does have is neatly arranged to the most common uses, so..
Another interesting point is that separate IR's for left and right can be loaded. While I never tried this, two almost-identical-but-not-fully IR's could prove quite effective for achieving a nice big bad sound. And the compressor is super.
And do note that software exists for combining IR's into one combined profile. Could result in a wall'o'osund'ish.. mmnn.. sound..
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »
Pages: [1]   Go Up