ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitech GSP1101 - Small footprint, huge sound  (Read 18998 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Digitech GSP1101 - Small footprint, huge sound
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,  for the hell of it I may just try this out.  I could use a tiny mixer like this right?

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/qtx-lm82-four-stereo-channel-line-level/655663-01/?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-f_Q4pKc2wIVzLftCh2dEg5gEAQYBCABEgKdUPD_BwE

My only worry would be would I have to keep walking over to the mixer and adjusting levels all the time?  Because I control and balance a lot of volume changes via FX through my current FX unit that allows me to modify the patch overall volume as I turn stuff on and off.  I doubt I could do this with the mixer?

Say I just use my FX unit to throw out a boost for the solo what happens then with the signal on the mixer?  I don't want to be stopping every five mins to make adjustments.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, that one will work but ideally a mixer with a couple of Fx sends and basic treb bass eq would be better.  The eq you can use for balancing different room/stage environments (like the Room EQ on a MP2) ie add a little bass for live shiny wooden stages or add a little tops for deader carpeted areas.  Once you get the mixer set you vary rarely need to touch it.  With mine I occasionally turn the master outs up to drive the power amp harder (eg real drums in the room), but once you have your levels set there's no need to tweak it.  Set your levels for the loudest patch.  I use the individual patch master vols to adjust compared to one another and you can make different Fx patches for the various MP1 patches and switch them all via midi. Just create MP1/Fx patch pairs either with the same midi/patch number or use midi mapping to use the same Fx patch on multiple MP1 patches etc.  Once it's all set and the levels are adjusted to accommodate the loudest signal, you just select with your FCB, you should need to go near the rack except to grab your drink or spare pick...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Well I was thinking of something that size because I don't want anything bigger.  Size is still an issue for my live rig.  Not as big an issue, but still an issue.  A mixer that size I could stick in the back of the rack case.

I was thinking more along these lines:

/>Preamp > Mixer \
guitar > aby pedal /                             > Mixer Output > Poweramp
                            \>MFX unit > Mixer /

So feed guitar to preamp and FX unit separately, set up the FX unit to have full wet signals, then mix into my desired level of FX and Preamp. 

Surely I could do any EQing through the FX unit?  I like this idea but I still think I wouldn't have the same control as I have right now in regards to programming mix changes and volume boosts if I'm relying on the mixer to do that.

Right now on my boss GT5 I hit one switch and I can turn off an effect, turn another one on, and boost the volume all at one.  Sure I can do this via midi with the newer setup plan, but if I'm using the mixer I can't really control the effect mix the same way or volume boosts.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, a 1RU line mixer with a stereo send is the go but then $s...  The little mixer you have in mind will work but limits your options a bit.Don't know why you want a pedal in front, I thought that's what you wanted to get away from, I know I did, although IIRC you like a bit of boost before your MP1.
I'd go Guitar > MP1 > Mixer >amp for Fx, MP1 send > Fx > Mixer.  Run Fx full wet but change the volumes (delay, reverb etc) within the Fx patch.  So this way the Fx are applied to the MP1 sound and your wet dry mix is done with the mixer vols, so set it with Fx off, then turn them up at the mixer to taste (you need to adjust the mixer levels for your loudest patch so it doesn't overload the channel, then all softer patches will be fine).  Think of it like a PA mix where you add a little delay and reverb to the vocal channel (or any other channel) via you outboard Fx unit(s) which take their input from a Fx send and return back down 2 channels and get mixed in.  If you want different amounts of specific Fx, make a patch in the Fx unit exactly how you want it. And if you want the same MP1 patch but with different Fx, make copies of the MP1 patch, or if you want the same Fx patch on multiple MP1 patches (as is what I do), midi map them either in the MP1 midi map or the Fx midi map. Eg I use the same mild delay and reverb (QV 000) for most of my patches, so I edited the Quadverb midi map to map the desired MP2 patches (110, 111, 112, 113) to be 000 in the QV.

So I run Guitar > MP2 > mixer ch 1 & 2 (panned L/R), Fx send 1 & 2 > Quadverb L/R in, Fx send 3 > IPS33 in (I no longer bother with the distortion loop), Quadverb L/R outs > Mixer ch 3 & 4, IPS33 A/B outs > Mixer chan 5 & 6 (and turn up ch 5 & 6 Fx send 1 & 2 (so IPS33 output is also sent to Quadverb)) Mixer out L/R > amp > cab(s).If I had a 1 RU line mixer with a stereo Fx send, I run it the same except take the MP1/2 loop send to feed the IPS33.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Well an ABY pedal is hardly crippling.  What I'm specifically getting away from is the long cable runs I have currently.  Not necessarily floor units.  And sure I'm going to have a larger floor unit anyways using the FCB1010 to control the FX.

But I forgot, I don't need the ABY anyways because I have the send from the preamp.  So that removes the ABY, but I would still have the same issue of pre programmed boosts.  Volume boost for solo.

I don't like making a whole load of patches for specific FX.  I was like that when I was younger but I find it gets ridiculous.  I like to have a few patches, but then I like to have them configurable in real time.  So FX on and off and may be another effect on in it's place, mix up and down, volume up and down.

If I went the patch route I'd need a patch all variables, for Effect on, Effect off, Alternate Effect on and so on and so forth.  Sure I have the memory for the patches but I can't be arsed with that.  I only make patches when I need to.  An example of Effect off and Alternate Effect On,  would be like when I switch a chorus off when I go for a solo and switch the harmonizer on and boost the volume all at the same time.  Then finish the solo and hit the switch again to go back to lower volume and Chorus back on again.

I'm probably being fussy Richard but we all have our ways.  You way seems very complex.

The plan is:

Guitar > Noise Gate In > GSP1101 In >  GSP1101 Send > Preamp > Noise Gate > GSP1101 Return > GSP1101 out > Power Amp

Controlled by midi Pedal

It will take a while to fully get it set up and used to the new unit but in the long run it will be better than have insanely long cables in the FX loop like I have right now.

Edit:  In saying this Richard, I will at some point experiment with the wet/dry/wet setup and I have a 1222behringer mixer to try it out with in the mean time (it's too large to take around with me and also a peavey PV20 which is much to large) .
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, It is a pain doing multiple patches, I used to use quite a few patches when I first got a MP1, mostly to select various IPS33 settings for different songs/keys.  These days I use 3 patches, sometimes 4 as I have a triggered wah patch that I use occasionally.  I have the MXC expression pedal mapped to MP2 master (output) vol and use it to adjust for lead boost. So really simple setup.

I notice in the GSP1101 manual it has CC capability so you can do a bunch of real time Fx changes from the FCB. Do you have the software for the FCB (and maybe it needs an update or something) so you can do all the mapping etc from your PC.  Mike has this and he says it makes it heaps easier to tweak the FCB to do what you want.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Oh Yeah I know about the CC stuff on GSP1101 but I still can't have the parallel stuff and those kind of changes which is a shame.

I have software for the FCB1010 and an uno 1.3 chip (I think it's that number) which allows stomp box mode.  The software I have is FCB1010 PC Editor.  If Mike has a better one I'd love to try it also.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Is your GSP1101 on Beta C63?
If you need any SW (IR cab loader, etc...), lemme know.
There's also some more tweaks and tricks to get the best outta the 1101, e.g.:
- setting the Comp to "Post-Amp", even if not engaged/off = way more clarity;
- XLR settings: make sure LPF is "on" = affects the 1/4 outputs as well;
- series/parallel routing
- delay spillover

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

I actually have not gotten round to doing anything with the unit.  I was on the road most of the weekend to Scotland and back for a show.  As soon as I get a good sit down with the unit though I will be sure to start asking for tips SC  :thumb-up:

Richard, ask Mike what software he is using for me, I am having issue with the software I have tried, it seems all my sounds card with midi are crashing the FCB1010 PC Editor I have.  I dunno if it's the soundcard, the pedal itself or what???  Actually it must be the usb soundcard I have tried as it crashes the program without the pedal connected.  Now what??

herbyguitar

« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Is your GSP1101 on Beta C63?
If you need any SW (IR cab loader, etc...), lemme know.
There's also some more tweaks and tricks to get the best outta the 1101, e.g.:
- setting the Comp to "Post-Amp", even if not engaged/off = way more clarity;
- XLR settings: make sure LPF is "on" = affects the 1/4 outputs as well;
- series/parallel routing
- delay spillover
This is very interesting. Do you have more tweaks you would share in addition to what's posted above that affect the tone/output of the 1101?
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

MikeB

« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Richard, ask Mike what software he is using...

Hi Gerry,
Have a look here:
http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1119.15
Cheers,
Mike
I don't feel tardy!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Hi Mike,

I have that program also but it doesn't pickup my FCB either.  And that's after I assign the midi in and outs correctly.

MikeB

« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

I sometimes have that problem. I often end up f&$*ing about with the cables and other midi devices to get it to work. I know it likes to be the only midi device when you first connect it. After that you are all good. Sometimes it works first go. Sometimes it takes a while. One time recently, I couldn't make it work at all and had to make my fcb1010 adjustment on the pedal board itself. That reminded why I normally persevere with the editor.
I don't feel tardy!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Hi Mike,

I don't have anything else running that would use midi, so I don't know what would clash with it.  I have read what you said else where as well so now I am really confused as to why FCBunoControl centre cannot detect my pedal connection.  Even more annoying, I downloaded windows virtual pc and XP mode with it, well when I run this my FCB1010 can connect through my midi interface and be editied in another program I have FCB Editor no problem.  I just can't use the dam program!!!  No explanation as to what you are doin with all the little check boxes and value boxes.  Anyways, the point is Windows 7 is saying no to midi on my computer and it's pretty useless.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Seems like a driver problem? what soundcard do you use?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up