ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much is too much, the price of an MP1  (Read 5327 times)

Richie_B

There's yet another mp1 for sale kind of locally (aus). As some know I've been having a few issues with mine. It still works and I use it without the chorus. I've been looking for another one but wow they are getting expensive. This one is going for $800au as the starting bid. However it does have the 3TM and MDRT so I am still looking at it.

I did see one that was $400 locally but that went pretty quick.

I'm wondering what would be considered too expensive.
Guitars: Fernandes ST 40, FST 125, Fernandes TEJ LTD ED and a Vortex. Chapman ML3 Pro Modern.

ADA MP1, ENGL E530, ENGL 840/50 Power amp, Carvin X100B, 2X12 cab.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: How much is too much, the price of an MP1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

$800 AUD is ok(ish) for a 3TM + MDRT if it's in good shape, but as you say that is on the expensive side.  If say you bought one for $400 and then did the 3TM and MDRT mod it would come close to $800
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Looks like a well looked after unit (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADA-MP1-3TM/282458063041?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20161027085944%26meid%3D266607c7a2db49a294facbe501bb866f%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D262956553895)

It's v1.38 EPROM which you'd want to update and also needs the battery mod.  Interesting, it's in Warners bay, Newcastle is becoming MP-1 sales city LoL.

vansinn

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

If it already has the 3TN and MDRT, chances are caps have been replaced too, which you'd likely need to upgrade in many other cases.
So overall, it may not be that expensive..

Richie_B

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I'm definitely looking at it and the caps have been replaced too. Will have to juggle some funds if I do decided to make a bid on it. Currently saving for a new guitar as well, one of the new Chapman guitars that will get here soon but that's another story.
Guitars: Fernandes ST 40, FST 125, Fernandes TEJ LTD ED and a Vortex. Chapman ML3 Pro Modern.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I just looked at it and it only has the 3TM and MDRT done to it, no noise mod.Only the filament/5V cap has been replaced.The rest of the caps are still stock.

onedge custom

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

you blokes are clearly in Australia... (I am in Melbourne)... who are using locally as a tech for your AD/A gear?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey onedge custom (mind if I call you Bruce LoL), yeah there are are a few of us Ozies here  >:D , and hey welcome to the depot  :thumb-up: :wave: .  Tech wise we've been doing it ourselves mostly (well MikeB and I particularly with lots of help from MJMP), but I've found a tech (nice guy, guitar player, into tubes) though I'm yet to introduce him to ADA stuff (but planning to soon). I'm in Canberra BTW.
So what do you have ? how can we help ?

Cheers Richard

onedge custom

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

In ACT hey? You may know a few mates of mine "trusted insiders" (and my god, people from Canberra have some big funds for top shelf gear!)

Thankfully the MP-2 is fully functional but no doubt a recap and some other general bits n bobs will be a benefit. The MP-1 quest has just started but I am keen to get one and the 3TM (but because it's not here or even sourced yet, it's a crap shoot).

Already reached out to MarshallJMP (so the issue of sourcing is fixed) but am looking for the soldering iron slinger. Was going to front Dale Sherlock but I know he can get a bit put off by working on stuff he is not familiar with (like other people's mods)... if you have a guy in Canberra though, that's great.

...Bruce

Richie_B

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hi Bruce and welcome. I've been looking around Melbourne for a tech that I would be able to go too but the ones I've approached aren't fans of the PCB. There just seems to be little knowledge locally when it comes to ADA. Ideally 2 more would be pretty awesome.

Richie

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

So you're ok with Bruce ? (easier to type than onedge custom, and I am Australian LoL) and it seems to have stuck (whoops).

Mmm "trusted insiders" rings a bell  :dunno: , there's some good players around here but the live scene in Canberra isn't what it used to be when I was averaging 3 gigs a week over 15 years or so...

How are you with a soldering iron ?  You can do quite a bit yourself if you have a head for it. There's a few mods for the MP2 but if it's working fine then no need to stuff with it.  MJMP put together a noise mod kit which replaces 21 caps and a resister or 2, though it's not the easiest of mods, some of the caps are harder to get out.
What I would recommend is a new input jack (as they take most of the ware over the years) though you need one with a slightly longer thread than standard, but easy mod to do. And tubes, for my money, the New Sensor Mullard 12AX7 reissues are the go for MP-2, I love them and have them in all 4 of my MP-2s (I bought my last 6 of them here http://tubeaudio.com.au/mullard-12ax7).

Anyway I suggest start a new thread/topic in the MP2 section and we'll work with you to get up and running etc (before Kim (bless him  :bow: ) moves these post for getting off topic  :facepalm: )
Cheers R

onedge custom

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Cheers

...Bruce

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

The Python skit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNBy1D1Y0h4)
Pages: [1]   Go Up