ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 volume drop  (Read 10316 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: MP-1 volume drop
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Take it to a friend's house and try it?  That should rule out crap house electric....

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Well it's good your getting worked out/isolated  :thumb-up:
Thump/pop definitely sounds like the power amp, can sometimes just need re-flowing the solder joins around the power supply (though doesn't hurt to re-flow all the joins).  I fixed my B200s (loud crackle in one chan) by re-flowing the whole thing (at MJMPs suggestion  :thumb-up: ) But as Kim says, try it elsewhere to be sure (but I thought you got this pop in other places (rehearsals ??))

Do you have any power filtering ? a good idea if the wiring is very old.

Glad the tubes sorted the vol drop, easy fix

A/B box, so unless you go for something with some electronics in it, the Y cable will do the same thing as the A+B setting an A/B A+B box. If you replace your Y cable with this, you would choose A (say JMP1), or B (MP1) or A+B (JMP1 + MP1). As you go mono into each poweramp channel (JMP1 L and MP1 R), so neither unit in stereo.  Where an A/B box would be handy is if you re-patched it all like a PA with a small mixer. Is there a reason you want the GSP1101 in front ? Seems it's there so you can mix it all together (as I said earlier, interesting patch).
So my suggestion is use 6 or 8 chan desk with at least 2 FX sends so the patch would be:
Guit > A/B A+B box > A > JMP1 > desk ch 1 & 2 (pan L/R) | > mixer out
                                                                                         > FX send 1 & 2 > GSP1101 loop rtn L/R > GSP line outs (or mixer outs) L/R > desk ch 5/6 | >>> mixer out L/R > amp               
                               > B > MP1 > desk ch 3 & 4 (pan L/R) | > mixer out
Turn up FX send 1 on ch 1 & 3 and fx send 2 on ch 2 & 4 (so now FX will be in stereo (don't tun up FX send on ch 5 & 6 or GSP will feedback). And set GSP FXs to full wet (no dry sound)
This then will all be in stereo (and will blow you away with how good it sounds).  You control the overall volume of both preamps and FX via the desk faders.
To slot back in your DBX eq (I'm assuming you only have 1 of these and you use L for JMP1 and R for MP1) and your sonic crapsuliser (does this add any value ??, it will add noise) feed them from the FX sends and rtns on the JMP1 and MP1 so: JMP1 send & MP1 send > DBX > Crapsuliser L JMP1 rtn R > MP1 rtn.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

revhed666

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Just thought id give a progress report. Original volume issue is gone. So was most likely tubes. Pops and thumps are random and most likely dodgy power. I go into the GSP 1101 first cause im using a distortion pedal model to boost both preamps as theres not quite enough gain in either preamp. The gsp1101 only has a mono FX send but stereo return so FX Are also applied to both preamps while maintaining seperate pres left and right. Sounds crap with pres combined in mono

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the update  :thumb-up: Though have a think about my suggestions (hey drive the front of the preamps with the 1101 to get extra distortion but I recon you could patch the rest better (IMHO)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

That popping sounds like a filter cap going bad. They make weird noises like that when they go.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Harley has a point here

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

That sounds similar to what I was getting out of one of my B200S poweramps. It would start as a low hiss, and increase the volume a bit then *POP* and then make some very low frequency thumps, and start over.

I could be wrong, but the description sound like the amp filter caps to me.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up