ADA Preamps > MP-2

MP-2 Gain Controls

(1/3) > >>

rickeb1:
Can someone explain the MP-2 gain controls, i.e. how the Drive, OD and Master interact?  I have an MP-1 (3TM), and I understand how OD1 and OD2 relate to each other and to the Master setting.  Is the MP-2 Drive and OD kind of like the MP-1 OD1 and OD2, or do they work entirely differently?

Thanks!

~ Rick

MarshallJMP:
They work way different.There are also 2 vactrols but in different places.One controls the volume just before the first tube and one that controls the amplification of also the first tube.

rnolan:
Hey MJMP, whats a vactrol (is it like a VCA ?) Can you give us a description of how the MP2 circuits work ? (bit like the MP1 description you posted)?
Cheers R

MarshallJMP:
a vactrol is an opto coupler,light dependend resistor controlled by a led.So it not like a VCA but it can be used in  a VCA circuit like the OD1 control in the MP-1 is a sort of VCA.

http://www.excelitas.com/downloads/dts_vtl5c42b.pdf

rnolan:
So what's the advantage, ie why use one over the other, though I get (I think) they should be very accurate. Ok so more accurate, and low noise so perfect for a high headroom tube circuit ? My rudimentary understanding so far ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version